The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Speed suits for swimming

Does anyone else find the concept of speed suits ridiculous? FINA originally annouced that the new speed suit technology was illegal and banned their use, but the FINA reversed the ban under pressure from legal threats, ignoring the recommendations of its own commission.

146 different speed suits are now legal for swimming. The speed suits are designed to make the swimmers faster. That alone should be reason to ban their use. They are designed to reduce drag, compress the swimmer’s body, and add bouyancy. Not only does it make the swimmer physically faster, but it allows them to swim harder with less fatigue.

World records will continue to tumble and the history of swimming is being erased by technology. In my opinion they are ruining the sport.

Article here: http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/swimming/let-the-swimsuit-games-begin/2009/07/24/1247942049068.html

All swimmers should be made to swim naked. THATS an even playing field….the chicks have no boobs anyways - they are muscle smile

I just want FINA to come up with a consistent policy - at the moment, they are changing their minds, making some suits illegal and others OK. They are as useless as the ICC (International Cricket Council)

Seems like there is no happy medium.
Suits made of some material but not others would be permissible… come on!?

In my opinion they should all be banned.

Everyone should go back to just trunks/brief. Good thing is Phelps is not wearing the new suits.

rider26 - 26 July 2009 02:35 AM

In my opinion they should all be banned.

word.

kort - 25 July 2009 03:49 AM

All swimmers should be made to swim naked. THATS an even playing field….the chicks have no boobs anyways - they are muscle smile

I just want FINA to come up with a consistent policy - at the moment, they are changing their minds, making some suits illegal and others OK. They are as useless as the ICC (International Cricket Council)

wouldnt that just make swimming a lot more entertaining wink

Speed suits = cheating

I think you hit the nail on the head with what you said J smile

Get into ocean swimming instead.. Much more fun than following that long black line!

golfpunklegend - 26 July 2009 09:59 AM
kort - 25 July 2009 03:49 AM

wouldnt that just make swimming a lot more entertaining wink

Imagine the ratings Channel Nine would get when they televised live at 7:00pm cool smile

Do you think some blokes might get cosmetic surgery to create a “winged keel” ?

So Ian Thorpe’s 400m world record was broken by .01s, by a guy who admitted the suit made him swim 2 seconds faster and that the suits should be banned. Thorpey loses his world record, FINA reverses its decision on the suits, and this guy keeps his world record. Good one FINA.

rider26 - 28 July 2009 03:25 AM

So Ian Thorpe’s 400m world record was broken by .01s, by a guy who admitted the suit made him swim 2 seconds faster and that the suits should be banned. Thorpey loses his world record, FINA reverses its decision on the suits, and this guy keeps his world record. Good one FINA.

that doesnt make sense.
If it was drugs he was using, they would have taken that win away.

surferguy56 - 26 July 2009 10:04 PM

Speed suits = cheating

word