The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boardworld members mug shots

nudge, yet another great picture.

Darb, how about a before and after?

kort - 30 July 2009 11:29 PM

I am a firm believer in “you get what you pay for” - buy a cheap jacket and it will perform like one, buy a more expensive jacket and it will serve you better and longer. My Arc’teryx jackets will last a few more years yet.

So true. It is hard to fork over that much money, but it does make a difference.
Truth is that most dont really get to ride 60+ days a year, or even 30+ days a year so putting that much money into it is that much harder to do.

Very good point - mind you if one only rides 5 days a year, then in theory, one would not have to buy a new jacket for at least 10 years smile
If you don’t think jacket styles will change in 10 years or don’t care about that, then from “cost per year” basis, it will be cheaper.
What was that saying—> “A poor man always pays twice” - I guess in this case it would mean multiple jackets over that period of time as a cheap jacekts would not last.

kort - 30 July 2009 11:29 PM

Don’t bag them until you try them EvanL smile

In point summary format:
* I have found my Arc’teryx items to be of high quality. I have 2 of the shell jackets (Stingray and Sidewainder SV). After wearing both of them for 60+ days of riding, they will look brand new and I stay completly dry - can’t ask for much more
* I don’t find the jackets “tight and restrictive” and they certainly don’t restrict my snowboarding. I find their “cut” is perfect for me. I have plenty of room to move my arms up and down, etc, even with a base and thick mid layer…......if people start blaming their crap riding because their jacket is too “tight and restrictive”, well…......you get my drift smile
* My Arc’teryx jackets dont “ride” up my back so getting a wet back is not an issue
* My Sidewinder SV has a nice feature whereby the zipper zips up slightly towards the side so you don’t get a zipper in your face (Some Burton AK jackets have copied this feature)
* Zips up nice and high so keeps my neckwarmer from sliding up
* Zips are nicely sealed so nothing gets in through that area
* Plenty of space in the pockets and plenty of pockets
* I reckon they look awesome smile

They might be a bit on the higher end of the price scale,  but I am a firm believer in “you get what you pay for” - buy a cheap jacket and it will perform like one, buy a more expensive jacket and it will serve you better and longer. My Arc’teryx jackets will last a few more years yet.

I wasnt bagging them as i said, I was just making some comments from the pics i had google’d.
Some models “seem” to be quite a tight cut.

Some also “seem” to be cut quite short.

They sit almost around your belt line. So i “thought” that when you would sit in the snow they would ride up your back a bit.

No big deal, if it suits your body type and you love them then go ahead.
Like i said, i didnt want to bag anybody, it was just that before coming to this site id never head of them before and id seen a few comments about them in various threads.
I dont blame my “crap” riding on my clothing because ive bought gear that suits me, just like im sure you have.

Anyway, sorry for dragging this off topic nyteskye.
Back to the mugshots smile

Arc’teryx do have a line specifically for ski/snowboarding….....like the 2 jackets I have…..the dude wearing the yellow jacket in your picture above is wearing a jacket (The Beta AR jacket) not designed for snowboarding (hence is cut differently). I can tell you my jackets (which are snow specific) are def. longer then that.  It refreshing to see people hearing about brands other then Burton, etc grin

I would say an Arc’teryx jacket is cut a bit less baggy then traditional snowboarding jackets - still I wear a baselayer and sometimes 2 midlayers and I still have room to spare (I am pretty lean). I don’t like the super “baggy” look so it works for me smile

Have a look at—-> http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Ski-Snowboard#Jackets-Vests

In the mugshot I posted, I am wearing a Blue Arc’teryx Sidewinder SV - I love it smile

They are not cheap, but you can get them sale from time to time, so if you do happen to get one for a bargain, its a good effort!

Is this the product review thread? lol

Any way here are the before (the real me) and the after pics are about a year old already.

Great Pic Nudge :D

Nudge - 31 July 2009 12:36 AM

Me going to work, not a morning person!

Haha thats awesome! (and I have those DC boots).

^ love it!

Nudge, enter that pic in the contest !!!!

I agree, great photo.

Definitely a cool shot, makes me miss working at the hill

Tambazz - 01 August 2009 10:59 PM

Well I didnt take the photo smile My girlfriend snapped that one.

Definitely a cool photo and who is really a morning person these days?

Nudge - 02 August 2009 05:17 AM
Tambazz - 01 August 2009 10:59 PM

Well I didnt take the photo smile My girlfriend snapped that one.

Nudge, your girl needs to join us here on the BW forums and enter her picture to the contest!!!
I am sure that L.B. will make her feel welcome with the other ladies.

She is already a member. MissG has submitted a few excellent photos.