The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

A step back in time

Thredbo in 1958!

bloody skiers!!!  cool smile

Lol these photos were taking not long after my family immigrated to Australia. Anyone else have any old shots?

That’s awesome, Blizzard. Would be cool to see more if anyone can find any photos…

I’ve seen some old Thredbo photos around the place, I’ll see what I can find. Apparently before snowmaking was introduced, you could only ski to the bottom approx 10 days a season.

10 days?? holy crap.. thank god for snow making!!  smile

^^haha
i have some picture of the snow in black and white, there is these guys riding bikes up mt koziosco, i think there was snow on the ground too

Oh really Mizu? Didn’t know would have to check it out!!

fast eddie - 15 April 2011 01:33 PM

bloody skiers!!!  cool smile

Hahahahaha eddie you are a skier!!!!!!!!!!!

Crackenback in 1963

That chairlift is now Ramshead Chair. Can you image how long it used to take to get to Eagles Nest.

Yep, couldn’t ski to the bottom most of the year - thats why Mid Station exists. Mid Staation used to be the way to get off the mountain.

That looks like it’s just down from mid-station????

Did they move that whole setup, to become what is now known as Ramshead????

^^^ Look’s crazy as ohh

Did anyone see the photos Thredbo posted of the Charlottes Pass > Thredbo chairlift? See below:

How old are those chairlifts hahahaha

I think they said something like 1963ish

Very old - 63 could be when it was closed.

From the Alpine Way you can see where the trees had been cleared to get up out of the valley. There was a big accident involving the chair (I don’t know the story) but afterward it was dismantled and never replaced.

Love the dodgy gondola.