The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Buying boots - ok to buy used?

Ok, My Burton Ruler boots that I’ve had for who-knows-how-many-years are finally packing out.
(Or is that packing it in?)

I don’t need a thousand recommendations for what brand or model are the coolest. (but feel free to fire away if you can’t resist!)

BUT
I want to know if it is worth trying to buy boots with SUPPORTIVE. ???

Are the *Burton Driver X with a supportive rating of 10/10 worth the extra money?
Does that the Driver X three times as good as the 3/10 *Burton Moto?
Would the 6/10 *Burton Ruler be twice as good as the Moto?

Hope I’ve made enough sense to start the discussion.
There’s more background here:
https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1550/

Let me know if there’s more into I should add.

*Burton boots have only been used in this discussion for the purpose of example. I have no obsession or affiliation with the brand in any way. I accept no liability for injury or damage caused directly or indirectly by the testing of any of these boots.

My take on the rating out of 10 for Burton is that the higher it is (ie the more supportive), is basically the stiffness of the boot, not necessarily that it’s better than a less stiff boot. I think it’s more a personal preference thing based on what riding you are wanting to do. But then, the stiffer/more supportive boots do generally seem to be the most expensive… Rider can enlighten us no doubt wink

I’m using the Ions currently and they’re pretty stiff boots but very comfortable. You should go to a store and try different boots on. More expensive doesn’t necessarily means better, it all depends what fit your feet the best smile

I’ve got the Ions too - such good boots!

The rating only refers to stiffness/response. The Driver X boots are very stiff, and unless you are a very powerful rider they don’t offer much ankle flexion at all. shaner actually races in the Driver X boots for boardercross. As you know he is a fast powerful rider, and recently he told me they are too stiff and he can’t flex his ankles enough. That doesn’t mean they’re not good boots; they are designed for powerful freeriders.

The SLX boots are actually the best boots in the range, in that they have the best tech and use the most expensive materials. To be honest, price is the best indication of how good the boots are; again just referring to tech and materials.

It’s important to understand what flex pattern works best for your style of riding. To answer the question in the title, I would not buy used boots under any circumstances. Krick, if you have any further questions please let me know.

Below is a copy and paste from the boot fitting article I wrote here.

FLEX PATTERN

All boots have a particular flex pattern and have been designed for different abilities and riding styles. Flex patterns range from very soft to very stiff; it is important to buy a boot with a flex pattern that suits your weight, ability, and riding style.

A softer boot allows for more movement in the ankle joint, but it is also less responsive than a stiffer boot. Generally softer boots are better for beginners, as the boot provides more forgiveness (room for error). Having a greater range of movement in the ankle also has advantages for snowboarders with a playful, jib-oriented (freestyle) style; it allows them to tweak their stance and place more pressure on the nose and tail of their snowboards for presses and added style. The disadvantage of having a softer boots is the lack of response; this means you need to make large body movements to transfer energy to the snowboard, making it unsuitable for most freeriders. Softer boots would also be unsuitable for those with ankle problems, as they don’t offer good support.

A stiffer boot provides support and response, but doesn’t allow for as much ankle movement as a softer boot. Stiffer boots are generally preferred by powerful riders and/or freeriders (big mountain, carving, powder, trees etc). Freeriders need response in their setup, as they are travelling at high speeds and need to make quick decisions; they need quick energy transfer from their body movements to their snowboards. The stiffer the boot is, the more response it provides. Stiffer boots would be unsuitable for beginners or riders with a jib-oriented style.

The trick is matching boots to your riding style; this is again where your boot fitters experience and knowledge comes into play. Just like all riders have different styles, so too the boots have different flex patterns. You need to ask yourself honestly - how do I ride? and what do I enjoy? Most snowboarders ride all over the mountain and enjoy many different aspects of snowboarding; a boot with a medium flex pattern would be the best choice here, as it offers the best of both worlds. Tell your boot fitter exactly how you like to ride, and he/she will help you find a boot with the right flex pattern for your weight, ability, and riding style.

Dan83 - 11 February 2011 06:12 AM

I’ve got the Ions too - such good boots!

Sweet looking boots!

rider26 - 11 February 2011 06:47 PM

To answer the question in the title, I would not buy used boots under any circumstances.

Ha. Not surprised. Went and had a look at the ‘better’ couple of second hand pairs for sale and was sorely disappointed! Kind of confirmed my suspicions!
Checking your side post now.

The hunt continues…

Buying second hand boots is like paying a permanent rental.

I will say it continually spend money on boots, then bindings.

rider26 - 11 February 2011 06:47 PM

To answer the question in the title, I would not buy used boots under any circumstances.

seconds hand boots? Ewww, the hygiene reason alone is a strong enough case to avoid used boots I reckon!

BTW I have the Salomon Malamutes and they rock!! I find Burton boots simply don’t fit my feet right.

Mmmm, used boots, I’m always reminded of the very first pair of rental boots I used, on a slushy day in February, and the color and smell of my socks afterwards.

But, I think it’s a crapshoot, there are used ones that are in near-perfect shape, and then there are “used boots”. Sometimes the demo boots that are sold at the end of the season can be quite reasonable, very little use for a good price point. But I’d make sure the size is indeed right, and keep in mind that by then, the boot is probably packed out as much as it will (in other words, the fit you get when trying them on is indeed the fit you’re going to be dealing with for the rest of the life of the boot).

OK, OK
I won’t buy manky second hand boots.
Enough with the horror stories!

I will save my precious pennies and make do with my packed out Rulers.

Anyone got any tips for getting 15 - 20 more days out of a set of boots?? (I’m already running two foot-beds - 3 too many?)

Krick - 15 February 2011 04:43 AM

Anyone got any tips for getting 15 - 20 more days out of a set of boots?? (I’m already running two foot-beds - 3 too many?)

mate, I think when they are gone, they are gone - bite the bullet and look for a new pair I say.

If heel lift is an issue get some J bars made up to tighten up the heel area. It will help a small amount then I say you definitely need new boots after that.

kort - 25 February 2011 06:30 AM
Krick - 15 February 2011 04:43 AM

mate, I think when they are gone, they are gone - bite the bullet and look for a new pair I say.

I hear ya. The late season sales are coming on in Whistler (my local) at the moment - not a bad time to shop.

C J Parker - 25 February 2011 11:32 AM

If heel lift is an issue get some J bars made up to tighten up the heel area. It will help a small amount then I say you definitely need new boots after that.

I might chase this up - seems like a low cost last ditch before I have to “definitely” buy new boots.