The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

First board/binding recommendations

Hi guys,

I just came back from a boarding trip to Niseko, which was my 2nd time boarding (1st was at Thredbo last Aug). I decided I have had enough of dodgy rental boards and want to get my own. Problem is, my head is literally exploding from all of the options and technical aspects of boards!

I can link turns consistently, but more sliding turns than actual edge to edge carving. I’ve had about 7 days boarding experience to this point so I’d say I’m a bit past beginner but not into proper intermediate territory yet.

I am 175cm tall, 70kg, Boot size US10.
I’m interested in more All-Mountain board to do everything. I want the option for park, but I haven’t tried any freestyling yet (I’d like to learn in the future). Since I’m in Sydney, I’m more likely to be going to Perisher/Thredbo or Vic ski fields so something that does very well on packed piste would be ideal.
Price wise, I’m looking for something mid range, or something I can grow into. No point getting a top range one that makes it hard to learn/improve.

What sort of options do I have with board/bindings? A range of brand options would be great. I’m not really brand loyal yet.
Is the Rome Anthem too high range for someone of my standard?

Binding wise, I’ve heard that Flow bindings are good. What are your opinions of Flow/Regular strap bindings?

I appreciate the help!

To keep it simple for you… aim for a directional snowboard with a medium flex (stiffness).  If you can afford a reverse camber or hybrid shape then I would head that way as it will aid your progression.  If you buy this time of year you can pick up a really good board in that category for about $500

As far as flow bindings… personally, I would advise against them.  A regular binding is much more effective. 

Best advise I can give is to speak to your local store, they will be able to get you kitted up with exactly what you need and run you through good options…

Boards that come to mind…

K2 Raygun
Ride Antic
Ride Machete
Burton Clash
Gnu Carbon Credit
Rossignol District
Signal Omni

Hope that helps

Hey danunited, welcome to Boardworld. cool smile

I have a question for you. Do you have any intention of riding overseas again? If so, I would definitely recommend a board with a sintered base. They are generally more expensive, but you can certainly find good mid-priced boards with a sintered base. Basically a sintered base absorbs wax more efficiently and enables you to maintain speed and momentum easier; a big help when riding fresh/deep snow.

Trav is right on the money. Your best option at this point in time is a directional board with mid-range flex. This will give you the most versatility as you progress your riding, develop your personal riding style, and explore different terrain.

Do you understand the difference between boards with camber, rocker, or hybrid cambers (camber and rocker), and how it changes the way the board rides? It’s important to understand the difference so you can make an informed choice.

Here’s a recent thread with good discussion on convenience bindings (Flow) vs regular strap bindings: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1606/

Get back to us with your thoughts on the above and we can move forward from there.

Hi Danunited

If you are looking to pick up a good board at a good price, now is the time to do it. Sales are on for most boards and you will get more bang for buck. Going into a few store and seeing the ranges available is always of benefit to you. In terms of making a informed choice, the person that asks question and listens to what you have you say back is generally going to point you in the right direction. A good board shop is interested in helping you make an informed choice.

This is your first board, it is always a bench mark for what you will like and dislike about a board. Always aim for a board that is going to suit your key riding style not for what you possibly might do.

Bindings are a important piece of equipment and that will make or break your ride. Personally I would go regular straps not a convenience bindings any day of the week.

Thanks for the responses and the welcome!

I am aware of the Camber vs Rocker vs Hybrid Camber/Rocker stuff, but I get a bit confused with it all.
I know Rocker is better with Powder, but Camber is more stable. Hybrid is the best of both I take it? I rode a demo Burton Cruzer Rocker on my last day in Niseko as I was sick of the crapstick the hire store had given me. It helped me more on the icy cut up bits on some of Annupuri’s green runs, where previously I was falling hard (repeatedly) when my normal hire board’s edges caught a groove in the snow.

Regarding Sintered vs Extruded bases, what level of board has Sintered? I guess the board manufacturer’s websites say so.

From what I’ve read of how boards perform, I’d like to try Hybrid camber, but I’m not sure if the extra cost is worth it?

Some boards in the pricey category that I’m interested in are the Rome Agent Rocker, Lib Tech TRS or the Never Summer SLR. Not sure if I will be able to take advantage of these boards at my ability level however.

The Rome Crail and the Gnu Carbon Credit look a bit better for my level I’d say.

What is the difference between BTX and MTX for the Gnu?

BTX = Banana Camber shape WITH Magnetraction (wavey edges)
MTX = Magnetraction

I’d agree with the others that a sintered base is ideal.  Also agree with what CJ said - speak to the shops and check out some ranges.  To be honest most of the hybrid shapes will ride fairly similarly particularly as you haven’t done a whole lot of riding before.  This time of year you can get a high end sintered hybrid board at about the $650 plus mark… bargain! 

The Carbon Credit has an extruded base and the Crail is a regular camber board also with an extruded base so I think both of those are not exactly what you need. 

I’m not a huge fan of pushing product but the Signal Omni sounds right up your alley. Check out the review here:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1139/

I know that Melbourne Snowboard Centre (and possibly RPS) has an Omni left in size 156, ideal for you height and weight.

Yeah in a nutshell…

Rocker makes the board easier/quicker to turn, floats better in powder, but loses pop and stability.

Camber gives the board stability, pop, edge hold, and carving ability.

Hybrid cambers offer the best of both worlds. Check out the review I did on the Signal Omni Wavelength: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1139/

Sintered bases aren’t limited to an ability level. Quite simply they are better bases, and due to the extra expense you usually only see them on mid-priced and above boards. They are also harder and less prone to damage. In my opinion it’s worth the upgrade; you’ll appreciate it more and more as you progress.

MTX is magne-traction. Basically the sidecut has a wavy edge like a serrated knife. It gives you additional edge hold as it cuts the hardpacked or icy snow.

BTX is banana technology. This is rocker between the feet with magne-traction edges.

Beat me to it, Trav.  raspberry

Ha ha sorry jez

Thanks for the questions Mizu, the Signal OG is a directional all mountain mid flex traditional camber board.  Most of the Signal team rides this board, together with lots of shop staff who prefer the ride and feel of a traditional camber board.  Would definitely suit Dan, although much of the hype at the moment is about reverse camber and hybrid boards as they are new and exciting.  However I still ride a regular camber board (the OG to be precise) as I like the power, snap and feel of it.  Each to their own though.  It retails at $899. It’s the high end Signal board with each and every deck hand-painted making no two boards the same, also features recycled sintered base materials which is much better for the environment.

Omni - is on the stiffer side but not crazy stiff.  Jez - what do you think?

Yeah I would say it’s ‘stiff-ish’. It’s maybe a tad stiffer than a Burton Custom. I rated the flex 7/10. It’s stiff enough to be really responsive and stable, but certainly not overly stiff.

Thanks for the help and the suggestions guys.

I’ll aim for a sintered base board probly. It looks like the Signal Omni is quite comparable to the other mid-higher range boards I was looking at from Rome, etc.

When I’m in a store, what pricepoint is considered mid range?

Bindings:
While I’ve done some research on boards and stuff, I have no idea the differences with bindings and which is better or worse.
What are some which I should consider?

Trav, what is the difference between the Signal OG and the Signal Omni?

All stores will have really good prices right now. Usually I would say a board between $600 - $800 at full RRP is mid-priced. Most stores should be doing at least 30% off right now, I would imagine.

If you’re asking my personal opinion on bindings, I would strongly recommend regular strap bindings.

In regards to brands, you can’t go wrong with Burton, Ride, Flux, Union, Rome. Speak to the guys in the store to see what they have available at the moment. Pick your budget, let the staff show you your options, and go with whatever you’re most stoked on - they are all good brands. Just like snowboards, you don’t want something too stiff to begin with. cool smile

If you have any questions let me know.

Signal OG is camber. Omni is wavelength, which is camber between the feet and rocker after.

danunited… i cheated and pasted from above post…

the Signal OG is a directional all mountain mid flex traditional camber board. Most of the Signal team rides this board, together with lots of shop staff who prefer the ride and feel of a traditional camber board. Would definitely suit Dan, although much of the hype at the moment is about reverse camber and hybrid boards as they are new and exciting. However I still ride a regular camber board (the OG to be precise) as I like the power, snap and feel of it. Each to their own though. It retails at $899. It’s the high end Signal board with each and every deck hand-painted making no two boards the same, also features recycled sintered base materials which is much better for the environment.

Thanks for all the reponses guys.

I checked into a store in the Sydney CBD and took a look at their boards. I took a look at the Burton Flying V, the Rome Crail and the Rome Agent Rocker. The sales person thought the Flying V or the Agent Rocker was more for me, depending on the flex I need (I’m leaning towards the Agent Rocker) and she also recommended the Lib Tech Skate Banana.
Unfortunately, being in Oz means there isn’t a huge range to check out. I’ll keep thinking about it and check out other stores and see what else may be right for me.

Binding wise, I was looking at the Burton Mission or the Cartels. Could anybody help me with which are similar bindings in other brands? I know the Rome 390s are similar to the Cartels.