The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Recommendations for the next (only) board

Typo carves will in my books, I ride at every point of the day at work (1st run down to red chair in the morning before public at around 7am and then ride out after everyone is pretty much off the mountain. Admittedly we do all flat base it out at the end and bomb it down expressway to olympic station.. Generally keep up with my supervisor who rides a 169 NeverSummer.

If you want to try out my 156 typo just to get an idea feel free to let me know since you can’t demo them anywhere locally.

PHEW!
I finally got a new board sorted.

Here’s a clue:
“IT’S GONNA BE OK!”
Extra points for the first to guess what it is.

UPDATE:
It is not a Malolo OR even Burton.

YES

finney - 26 January 2011 11:45 PM

YES

1/2 points for Finney

Anyone picked the model??

Optimistic…

Welcome to the YES family Krick, I hope you’ll be just as stoked with the board as I am with mine grin

YES OPTIMISTIC 159
It could be the last one in Nth America.

Dan is spot on. FULL POINTS TO YOU SIR.
Points to Finney for being on the right track and Mizu for having a good stab at it.

I’ve only done about 4 runs on it on the 4cm of new snow that Whistler got yesterday.
I already love it.
I have found THE board for the season.

Carves and floats like a firm big board.
Turns, pops and butters like a soft short board.

Too sweet!

Krick.

Thanks to all for the input, insight and humour - the hunt has been well worth it !!!

Awesome Krick, sounds like you’re stoked! Enjoy your new snowboard and let’s try catch up for a few runs soon.  grin

Yes that is awesome. I really want to try a Yes board the tasmaniac to be specific.

Nice purchase Krick.

Is it too soon to ask for advice on bindings?
I don’t mind starting another thread if that’s better, but this one already has the whole back story.

I have some Burton Custom bindings (Large) that are quite a few years old.
I’ve broken (and replaced) 3 of the 4 straps so far this season so I can’t trust them anymore.

What should I do for bindings?
As you can see, I’m after something for the Yes Optimistic 159 which has to do powder, back-country, high speed groomers, some park work and some ice work (unfortunately).
I have a huge bias toward Burton bindings ‘cause I’ve seen good support for warranty and parts in different parts of the world.
I like the look of the Cartels and perhaps the Mission.
The new customs seem to be a bit softer, but I haven’t written them off yet.

Give me your suggestions, experience, advice and recommendations.
If there’s other brands that compete with Burton for quality AND cost I’d like to know.
(It will have to be impressive to steer me away though!)

Cheers,

Krick.

(You can PM me if you have any Burton bindings for sale in Whistler area too, I guess.)

Krick, awesome that you’re stoked on your board!

For bindings, I definitely recommend the Cartels. I’ve been heaps happy with my ones. They’re a great all round binding and will be a bit stiffer than the Customs, as well as the Missions.

If you’re looking at Burton bindings and you want high performance, I wouldn’t suggest looking at anything below the Cartels. The Cartels would be a great binding to start with; they offer performance, comfort, and support, without being overly stiff.

I wouldn’t suggest the Missions and especially not the Customs. Not that they are bad bindings, but over the course of a season in Whistler you want something more responsive. The Cartels are more comfortable too.

Burton Cartel for a good solid responsive binding. Stiff base plate with a high back that matches the needed reponse.

Union Force are a good binding with a ankle strap that doesn’t stretch as well flex points for your bindings, to help remove dead spots.

The Flux SF45 that mizu has recommended is definitely a very responsive binding. With tonnes of comfort to boot.

Rome Targa’s are a strong binding too. Aluminium heel cup that wraps around and under your toe pedal also.

C J Parker - 30 January 2011 05:59 AM

Burton Cartel for a good solid responsive binding. Stiff base plate with a high back that matches the needed reponse.

Union Force are a good binding with a ankle strap that doesn’t stretch as well flex points for your bindings, to help remove dead spots.

The Flux SF45 that mizu has recommended is definitely a very responsive binding. With tonnes of comfort to boot.

Rome Targa’s are a strong binding too. Aluminium heel cup that wraps around and under your toe pedal also.

Nice, some good stuff in that selection.

Those Rome’s are too sweet - almost as much bling as my mtn bike!

Quick peak at the internet makes it look like most other choices are 150-200% the price of the Cartels.
I’ll have to trawl the village shops and see what’s around at the moment.

Ride Beta Movement series, Ride Delta Movements or Union Force… that’s my vote.

Been riding ride bindings for about 10 years now and nothing but love for them.