The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Recommendations for the next (only) board

Hey all,

The hunt has begun for “the one” board for this season.

I’m doing a full season in Whistler this year.
I’m a level 1 CASI qualified instructor, hoping to be working 1-2 days a week on the mountain.
The board I’m chasing has got to be comfortable for teaching punters (sorry, beginners to intermediates) for full days.
Hopefully, it can also be big enough to handle the depth of powder we have already seen this season.
(I realize I’ll be moving my bindings waaay back on deep days.)

I’m 6’1” and 75kg (165lb) at most, with 10.5US boots (lg bindings) and I’ll be riding areas accessible by lift or a sensible hike from the lifts in WBC.
Because I’m already 30-somethin I won’t be spending much time in the park but still make sure I find every side hit and natural drop I can.
My other focus is getting my carving and board control up to CASI level 2 before the end of season.

I’ve only ridden cambered boards and wonder whether its worth looking at EZ-V, Flying V etc.
I’m currently riding a 162 Malolo which is old enough to pre-date the dramatic S-rocker.
I’m toying with th idea of things like a 164 Custom X, 162W Custom Flying V or a 159W Blunt.
I will probably stick with Burton so I don’t lose my mind in the research.

*[EDIT]* Open to suggestions outside Burton range (seems cambered Custom is pretty much the only sensible pick)

Let me know if I need to give more info.

Make a suggestion.

Hey Krick how you doing there?

Yeah doing research on a board can be pretty tolling especially when there are some many brands bringing out so much tech at the moment. To be honest cambered boards are the best. They pop awesome, they carve like a dream and they are tried true and tested. So many companies are still doing cambered boards because they are still a preferred choice.

Anyway if you are after a board that carves well, yet will still make it easy to teach check out some of the camber/rocker boards. I know Capita, YES and Signal all do one. These are generally your all mountain style of boards, so they will carve well and ride hard. Capita is Black Snowboard of Death, YES i think is the Great Woman and Signal is the Wavelength.

These boards have camber between the feet and rocker at the nose and tail. Camber giving you the power and pop that you want and need. Rocker giving you the float and forgiving feel.

Check Riders review on the Signal Omni Wavelength.

Hey Krick,

Welcome to Boardworld.

Which pod are you working in? Make sure you take advantage on the level 2 training days.

What size boots do you wear? What bindings do you use? Or are you getting new bindings with the board?

Here’s the review on the Signal Omni Wavelength: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1139/

Awesome board but fairly narrow waist width, so if you have big feet it won’t be your best option.

I’ll agree with the Mizu and CJ; given your situation I would go for a full cambered board, or at least a combo with camber between the feet. Having done the CASI 2 course myself, I can tell you camber between the feet is certainly beneficial. Quite simply, they carve better. Better pop, better edge hold, and more stability through turns. You’re not riding much park, you’re training for CASI 2, camber is the way to go.

I wouldn’t get somethings too soft or too stiff either. Get back to me on your boot size and binding options, and I will give you some suggestions.

Also, check out the Whistler thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1368/

Agree with whats been said about getting a cambered board but if you’re considering a hybrid I’d vote for a YES purely because I’ve got the 156 Typo and it hasn’t let me down all season in Whistler, love it to bits. Ride it every day at work (lifty) and every day I have off in all conditions from hard packed groomed runs to trees and waist deep powder without changing my stance which is centred 23.5” stance and I’m 5’11” ~80kg.

Sweet! Thanks for the response so far - some good info there already.
Good to get some fan support for camber too, in the haze of marketing for every other thing out at the moment.

I can see I did ask for it trying to stick with Burton - I’ve already got four recommendations for four other brands.
To answer rider’s questions I have a 10.5US boot size and I’ll probably stick with my large Burton Custom bindings unless I get a killer deal on something.
(I’ve stuck this in the original post too.)
I’ve found I need at least a 255-257mm board waste to get comfortable overhangs.

This raises the question though: What are Burton doing with their flying V??
Is it just more playful to be easier for park and beginners?
It seems to be the complete opposite of all the logic that justifies the YES, Signal etc, etc.

In the Burton range, I would look at the Custom or the Easy Livin Camber (although not as wide as your specifications). The Custom would be my first suggestion. The 158 wide has a 258 waist width. Can’t go wrong with the Custom.

Yeah, anything with rocker between the feet just makes the board more playful and easier to turn, but you lose stability and pop.

I found that with the Signal (camber between feet, rocker nose and tail), you don’t lose any noticeable stability, even when carving hard, but you still get the additional float in powder.

Ok, so Burton seem to do the Custom that will fit my needs and that’s about it.
It was on my short list from the start but I’ve eliminated just about all their other options.

I’m opening it up to all other brands now!

The YES Optimistic or Typo, Signal & K2 will get a serious look.

Any other contenders I should be chasing?

You have a specific waist width range you’re chasing, so that’s something you need to think about. Basically any mid-flexing, cambered, all-mountain board would be suitable. Just make sure the size and waist width is something you will be comfortable on. Can’t go wrong with any of the brands you listed above. Rome also make really good boards - check out the Anthem (on the stiff end but a great all-mountain board).

EDIT: Sorry, looking at the waist width of the Anthem, too narrow for your specifications.

rider26 - 30 December 2010 03:30 PM

... Rome also make really good boards - check out the Anthem (on the stiff end but a great all-mountain board).

EDIT: Sorry, looking at the waist width of the Anthem, too narrow for your specifications.

That is a sweet looking board - the 160 wide might do the job.

Anyone know anything about the Bataleon triple base technology??
It has the right vibe but I’m wondering if it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Taking other ideas for boards to compete with the Yes Optimistic and Signal Omni Wavelength too.
Are the other things out there as good??

FYI yes optimistic won transworld good wood grin

Although my Custom Flying V is having some issues with the base (channel bump), which I’ve mentioned in another post, to ride its sweet. Good amount of flex, Burton say it’s a 5. It’s nice and fast edge to edge. I’m loving that it’s a hybrid. Edging is strong but having a bit of rocker helps make it a bit cruisier for when you want it, like cat tracks and buttering etc. Pop in it is pretty good too. Having said all that, I haven’t ridden that many boards. So while I’m liking this one, i don’t have much to compare it to.

finney - 09 January 2011 01:57 AM

FYI yes optimistic won transworld good wood grin

Yeah, the Yes is a sweet board - fits my thought to stick with the camber between feet at least, to keep my carving strong.

Anyone know where I can get the Yes or Signal stuff for a reasonable price in Whistler?
I don’t mind heading to Vancouver if it helps to get prices down too.
(I’ve found myself without work so my budget is suddenly tighter.)
Such a pity these boards are so sweet that they never come up for sale second hand…

Try the Circle at Whistler, don’t remember if Showcase carries YES or not. In Vancouver you can find YES at Pacific boarder and Westbeach. Have you check out Lib Tech’s board with C2 (reverse between the feet and camber underfeet to the tip and tail)? I found it carves well because of the camber at the end and also the magnetraction gives it good edge hold (riding the T.Rice).

Comor would be worth checking out too.

finney - 28 December 2010 03:26 AM

Agree with whats been said about getting a cambered board but if you’re considering a hybrid I’d vote for a YES purely because I’ve got the 156 Typo and it hasn’t let me down all season in Whistler, love it to bits. Ride it every day at work (lifty) and every day I have off in all conditions from hard packed groomed runs to trees and waist deep powder without changing my stance which is centred 23.5” stance and I’m 5’11” ~80kg.

Got to ask how this thing carves?
Can you lay an edge in and hold it through the mashed potato chunks at speed?
I’m stuck on this because the 162 Malolo is so rewarding when you commit to large radius high speed “S” turns.
I don’t think I can give that up with my next board.

skip11 - 16 January 2011 10:40 PM

Try the Circle at Whistler, don’t remember if Showcase carries YES or not. In Vancouver you can find YES at Pacific boarder and Westbeach. Have you check out Lib Tech’s board with C2 (reverse between the feet and camber underfeet to the tip and tail)? I found it carves well because of the camber at the end and also the magnetraction gives it good edge hold (riding the T.Rice).

Will have to demo one of the variations of rocker between bindings.
I’m not convinced it will do what I want it to, (carve with big speed) but it deserves a demo at least.
I’m still leaning toward the camber between feet that YES do and I’ve confirmed that the Circle has Typo in my size.
(No Yes boards at Showcase.)
No Signal boards either, unless I want a 148 or something like that.
Will have to call the Vancouver shops and see what they’ve got too.

rider26 - 16 January 2011 11:29 PM

Comor would be worth checking out too.

Yeah, the guys in Comor know their stuff but man they blew the research wide open all over again.
Must have taken me 20-30 minutes to wrap my head around it all.
Bataleon Goliath really caught my eye but most other stuff was just feeling like competition for the (typically cheaper) Burton Custom.

Anyone know about the Bataleon stuff? (other than the Triple Base Technology is a bit of a nightmare to base grind)

With a 10.5 boot, why are you even looking at wide boards? Generally you don’t wide until you are in a size 12+?

I got a size 10 and I wouldn’t dream of it.

The Capita Black snowboard of death in about a 158 would be perfect.