The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Need urgent advice please, buying tomorrow!

Hey guys

I’m in Vancouver, buying all of my gear tomorrow. So far I have:

Vans Aura boots, they fit well so I chose them.
Union Force bindings, I looked at Rome 390s, Flux RK30s and TT30s and I like the Unions the best.

Now my question. I’ve decided on the TRice C2 BTX model. I’m going to Fernie for the season it seems and I’m torn between the 157 and the 161.5. I’m 194cm, 95ish kilos and am intermediate. After I finish the season I expected to be fairly good in comparison.

I know there is a lot of pow at fernie, so the longer board will be more beneficial. I know that the rocker will float the board in powder so I can ride a shorter board. Will the 4 cm make much difference in terms of speed? I like the idea of more maneuverability of a shorter board but I’m concerned it might be too short. I ride all mountain - groomers, a bit off the track in the fresh stuff and want to hit park eventually. I don’t know if I want to get another board.

Will the 157 hinder me much on all mountain? Should I go the 161.5?

I’m buying tomorrow (Canadian time) so any help will be appreciated.

I’ve emailed Rider but haven’t heard from him yet.

Cheers!

Cheers Mizu

I’m leaning towards the 157, purely because I like to cruise and play around. Straight lining isn’t my thing, I prefer drifting over dragging any day wink

The Vans felt awesome as soon as I put them on. I tried 32s, Romes, Burton and a few others and none felt this good.

beauus - 04 December 2010 07:40 AM

Hey guys

I’m in Vancouver, buying all of my gear tomorrow. So far I have:

Vans Aura boots, they fit well so I chose them.
Union Force bindings, I looked at Rome 390s, Flux RK30s and TT30s and I like the Unions the best.

Now my question. I’ve decided on the TRice C2 BTX model. I’m going to Fernie for the season it seems and I’m torn between the 157 and the 161.5. I’m 194cm, 95ish kilos and am intermediate. After I finish the season I expected to be fairly good in comparison.

I know there is a lot of pow at fernie, so the longer board will be more beneficial. I know that the rocker will float the board in powder so I can ride a shorter board. Will the 4 cm make much difference in terms of speed? I like the idea of more maneuverability of a shorter board but I’m concerned it might be too short. I ride all mountain - groomers, a bit off the track in the fresh stuff and want to hit park eventually. I don’t know if I want to get another board.

Will the 157 hinder me much on all mountain? Should I go the 161.5?

I’m buying tomorrow (Canadian time) so any help will be appreciated.

I’ve emailed Rider but haven’t heard from him yet.

Cheers!

I’ll second the 161.5, given your height / mass.

Personally, I’m 62 kg and use a 161 length board (which is on the verge of being too much board for a little guy like myself).

Have fun!

Hey Beau,

Sorry mate, just received your email now. I hope you’re not receiving this too late.

My instinct would be to tell you to get the 161.5. Typically Fernie gets dry, light, interior BC snow. Also, you’re a fairly big guy, a 161.5 isn’t going to be too big for the park. It isn’t going to be hard to maneuver either, that’s one of the benefits of rocker between your feet; it will turn like a shorter board. You also mentioned in the email you take a size 13 boot? You need all the waist width you can get.

That said, you could go either way, especially since you like to play around on your board. Mizu is correct, your intended riding should determine the board size. You know the advantages and disadvantages of both. Yes the smaller board has rocker, which gives you more float in powder, but it also makes the bigger board more maneuverable - you can look at it both ways.

If I were you I would get the bigger board. If you were riding Australia I might suggest otherwise.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I hope you have a great season over there!

That’s what this website is here for. The more people who give advice and discuss these issues, the better.  cool smile

I’m 194cm, 95ish kilos

Holy crap dude, you should be thinking about the difference between the 164 and the 161.5, not the 157!
I’m 189cm, 70 kilos and my ‘normal’ board length is 162 to 164. If you get the 157 you’ll be dying in the pow.

Also, this is the most important thing you need to remember: the Trice rides small. The C2 makes it feel (handle) like a smaller board. You should get the 164 and it will ride like a 162 or smaller. It will be fine for park and dorking around.
You’re going to a big mountain and you need to man up and get a manly size - actually it’s not even that - it’s your proper size!

BTW when I rode in Whistler I had a 168 for regular riding and a 162 for park.

In case you didn’t read the above because it was too long, get the 164!!!!!

yeah i’ll echo gamblor’s points.. I’m around 5’11” ~80kg and i’m riding a 156 as my all rounder here in Whistler.

and I’m 194cm too and about 80kg and I’ve got a 160…

Cheers guys.

I ended up going a 161 Skunk Ape wide, given my size 13 feet. I didn’t want to catch an edge on the Trice.

I’m in fernie now, fresh as smile

Good call, beauus. Keep us posted on your season in Fernie. Enjoy dude!  cool smile