The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

boot fit

So, today I wore a different pair of boots.
The situation was that my friend, who wears a 9.5 to 10, had to give his boots to his son, who is growing like mad and needs close to a 10.5 to be comfortable… which means that my friend had to borrow a pair of mine, which ia a 9… but fits a little larger, than the pair he was going to use, which was also a size 9…
So here I am wearing a 32 size 9 BOA (which was cool to ride a boa lacing system for once) from last season (2010).

2 things I have to say about boot fit.

Often, and usually with newer boots for me, or a pair that I am not used to.
Often my lower leg that is inside of my boot gets so sore… it’s not muscle pain, but skin pain… it feels like a bad sun burn when the day is over. My skin is reddened and it hurts to the slightest touch… this usually goes away after a day. I know it is related to the socks that I wear, but it happens to an extent regardless of the sock I am wearing (yes I wear quality socks… most often Burton socks)

Secondly..
I think I have discovered an interesting thing about boot fit…
This may make sense once I say it, but I made the connection today.
When laced up and walking around in some boots, I feel that a boot fits too tight because it is loose, and I cant tighten it enough around my foot.. I can tighten around my leg, but not around my foot.
I have found this with many boots. and it would make me not buy them… thinking they dont fit…
But the truth is that once I am strapped in, it doesnt bother me at all. So it is like the binding straps overcome the looseness of the boot around my foot.
I like this idea, and think that a looser fit around my foot is more comfortable… and it doesnt hinder riding as long as my binding compensates for it.

My boots allow almost no wiggle room in the toes, they’re jammed up against the front. It’s all personal preference, actually. Socks do make a difference, sometimes a big difference, I’ve found.