The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

The Burton M6 Transition kit

So, Burton has been using “The Channel” for a while now. They used to call it the ICS (Infinite Channel System, I think). New for 2011, they call it “The Channel” you can still buy the EST bindings for it. but if you have non-Burton bindings, or if you have older than 2011 Burton bindings, you will need to ask your local shop, or call Burton Rider services and request the “M6 Transition Kit”.

Here’s my story.
I have older Burton Triad bindings, from 2009. They are non-EST style. I just bought a 2011 Burton Custom and I had to figure this all out. I took pictures and decided to share it with some of the snowboarding community.
So, here’s the new board, pretty stoked on it.

I am using my handy Burton Bullet tool. If you dont have one of these and need a good tool, or need a better tool, this one ROCKS! For the past couple of seasons, I have decided that I will buy one or two of them, and give away my old one. Here is my new one for the season, ready to be opened. They only cost $20 USD.

Here is the M6 Transition Kit. I called Rider services, when I knew I was getting the board, and asked them to mail it to me, They did, NO CHARGE and it came in the bag you see underneath the product in this photo.

This is the contents of the Kit.

And another pic of the Kit, minus the discs:
The items in the top left corner of the pic, should be used with the EST bindings, and I dont know anything else about them. note that the part of the bolt on the bottom of the pic, the part that your screw driver will fit into, is FEMALE and the other parts in the upper right of the photo are MALE and threaded.

This is the kit you need to place Non-Burton bindings, or Pre-2011 Burton bindings onto your new 2011 board.
You get the kit with the purchase of a 2011 Burton Binding.
And just to make things confusing…. All 2011 Burton boards with The Channel come with some hardware in a neat little plastic box/package that is stuck to the side of the board, it looks like this:

In that little box is the following hardware:

If you look closely you can tell the difference on these pieces, as they are FEMALE, and those that look similar but are in the M6 Transition Kit, they are MALE…
The hardware that comes in the above picture, that come with the board are to be used when placing 2011 Burton bindings onto that board, So, for this discussion they do not serve a purpose. Because we are putting older Burton bindings on a 2011 board.
Lets continue.

Get a flat head screwdriver and pry up the rubber square at the end of The Channel

Now it looks like this:

Place into The Channel the appropriate piece that came in the M6 Transition kit

Only 2 bolts should go into each Channel and the disc will fit in like this:

You place the binding on the board and use the other half of the bolt to affix to the screw

And tighten it down.
Funny thing, is that the traditional screw is FEMALE, as seen in the picture. but you still use a Phillips head screwdriver the same way.

The heads of the bolts stick up just a little as you can see in the pic, and I thought that was odd, but I cannot feel them through my boot.

In the end, you only have 2 bolts keeping your binding to the board and the binding can easily slide to change your stance width or to set back your stance.

For width I used the suggested reference stance, which felt a bit narrow for me, but I kept it there for now. I’m 5’10”.
The angles I used were like +15 / -9, something like that.
I may widen my stance after another day of riding and see what feels better.

Overall, I think The Channel was a little difficult to set up. I was unsure if I was doing it right or wrong, and when the bolt heads stuck up more than I had expected, I called Burton Rider services, to discuss how I set it up, and just to make sure I did it right, apparently I had.

I hope this helps.

the fact that the screw heads protrude sucks and turns me off getting a new B board. Screw that!

Gamblor - 25 October 2010 09:13 AM

the fact that the screw heads protrude sucks and turns me off getting a new B board. Screw that!

The screw heads stick upon the traditional set up. they are counter sunk in, but not flush.
Honestly I wouldnt let that be a deal breaker for you. It’s not noticeable at all through your boot.

Keep in mind the idea with The Channel is that you use EST bindings, where the bolts are on the outside of the binding, and what is under your boot is minimized.

I cant say I noticed a difference at all when strapped in.

I guess with a fullbed binding it won’t make a difference

That’s awesome, thanks for putting that together snowslider!

I was given a 2011 Burton board, and it didn’t come with a Burton M6 Transition Kit - it’s my understanding that boards don’t automatically come with the kit, you have to ask for it. I (thought I) needed one for my 2010 non-EST bindings, and asked for one at the Rhythm store in Cooma. Even though it’s clearly marked on the packaging that these are “FREE”, Rhythm charged me $25. I feel a bit ripped off, and I’ll explain why:

Besides being charged for something clearly marked as “FREE”, it was a completely unnecessary purchase regardless. I already had Burton retro discs from my previous year’s board/bindings, and nowhere do Burton mention that these “new” ones are identical to last years’! As pictured above, 2011 boards do come with female inserts (in contrast to previous boards, which came with both inserts and bolts) - and even though no bolts are supplied, standard mounting hardware will work just fine in these inserts. So basically, if you’ve already got Burton retro discs, you can just use them on 2011 boards. It would have been nice if Burton had saved me the unnecessary time and expense.

wow! $25 for something marked free??? I would call rider services

chucky - 26 October 2010 04:49 AM

I was given a 2011 Burton board, and it didn’t come with a Burton M6 Transition Kit - it’s my understanding that boards don’t automatically come with the kit, you have to ask for it. I (thought I) needed one for my 2010 non-EST bindings, and asked for one at the Rhythm store in Cooma. Even though it’s clearly marked on the packaging that these are “FREE”, Rhythm charged me $25. I feel a bit ripped off, and I’ll explain why:

Besides being charged for something clearly marked as “FREE”, it was a completely unnecessary purchase regardless. I already had Burton retro discs from my previous year’s board/bindings, and nowhere do Burton mention that these “new” ones are identical to last years’! As pictured above, 2011 boards do come with female inserts (in contrast to previous boards, which came with both inserts and bolts) - and even though no bolts are supplied, standard mounting hardware will work just fine in these inserts. So basically, if you’ve already got Burton retro discs, you can just use them on 2011 boards. It would have been nice if Burton had saved me the unnecessary time and expense.

tight with money at the moment i know, in these HARD times i really can understand you. Chucky i find it HARD sometimes to buy toilet paper, so i steal the next door neighbours news paper every Sunday morin…........

Clearly it’s not the money, it’s the principle.

The fact is, Burton makes it seem like you definitely need their M6 Transition Kit if you want to mount older bindings on 2011 ICS boards - and you don’t. I was basically deceived into paying for it when I didn’t need it at all.

I now see why you need the chapstick Warren - but you know it’s actually supposed to be for your lips, right?

Thanks for the info Snowslider! Nice and detailed.

Hey I’d be pissed big time too Chucky! That sux.

The board doesnt come with the kit, and it’s not supposed to. the bindings come with all the parts necessary, IF you buy the newest bindings. but if not, then you are supposed to be able to get them FOR FREE from your local shop, or call rider services and they will send you one.
I’d ask for my money back from the shop, or call the shop owner and ask for a refund, for having been sold something that should have been FREE.

It’s not cool that the shop charged you for it.

BTW I’ve not tried the traditional bolts with the female hardware part that does come with the board. but if you say they work, then I’m not sure what is needed in the M6 kit, unless it’s an issue with like bolts loosening or something of that nature.
I diddnt have the plates / discs so I was needful of that kit.

snowslider - 26 October 2010 06:36 PM

I’d ask for my money back from the shop, or call the shop owner and ask for a refund, for having been sold something that should have been FREE.

It’s not cool that the shop charged you for it.

I was on my way through Cooma at the time on my way to go ride my new board, so an hour or so after that I was mounting my bindings using the kit. I figured once I’d used it, I couldn’t ask for a refund. It was only because Burton deceptively makes it look like you really need this particular kit, that I didn’t bring the other retro discs I already owned (which would have worked just fine) - that’s the thing I was most pissed about.

snowslider - 26 October 2010 06:36 PM

BTW I’ve not tried the traditional bolts with the female hardware part that does come with the board. but if you say they work, then I’m not sure what is needed in the M6 kit, unless it’s an issue with like bolts loosening or something of that nature.

M6 is a commonly used thread size - that’s why they switched to it. If you wanted to get really tech - you can actually get cool bolts with Allen Key heads that would also fit.

One thing that should be noted, is that you DO need the kit if you have older EST bindings - that’s what those two long thin hollow bits are for.

i don’t think Burton is being deceptive. They just tell you you need the m6 if you want to use older bindings. How do they know if you have old retro discs?
Even though you have used them I would still call up rider services and bitch about being charged so much for something marked ‘free’. The fact that you had similar discs at home is a moot point.

chucky - 27 October 2010 01:16 AM

One thing that should be noted, is that you DO need the kit if you have older EST bindings - that’s what those two long thin hollow bits are for.

Give me some details as to where and how those things work.
I wont get a pair of old ESTs in my hands until I meet with a friend who has them to ride, and I am curious how they work / what role they play.

Gamblor - 27 October 2010 01:59 AM

i don’t think Burton is being deceptive. They just tell you you need the m6 if you want to use older bindings. How do they know if you have old retro discs?

They don’t have to know whether or not you have old retro discs for them to simply point out that you can use them if you do. Yes, Burton “just tell you you need the m6 if you want to use older bindings” - and that is a false assertion, because you don’t.

As it turns out, standard 4x4 discs will work in a pinch - you just don’t get the indicator window.

snowslider - 27 October 2010 03:11 AM
chucky - 27 October 2010 01:16 AM

Give me some details as to where and how those things work.
I wont get a pair of old ESTs in my hands until I meet with a friend who has them to ride, and I am curious how they work / what role they play.

Pre 2011 ICS channels are thinner, so these attach to the slot under your older EST bindings, to make the fit better.