The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for new setup advice

Firstly, hello to the community!

A little bit about me:
My name is Beau, I started snowboarding in 2008 and have had about 3 weeks total time on the mountain at Thredbo and Perisher thus far. I’ve picked up some of the basics and I’m alright so far. Still a steep learning curve, and loving it!

I am working a season in Canada (have organised travel through Global Work & Travel Co; yet to find us a job), leaving December and returning in March, and it’s time to buy my first board, bindings, boots, etc =] I am aiming for Whistler, if not then Banff. Still, any location is still on the cards conditional upon employment.

I’ve visited a few stores around Sydney (InSki, Paul Reader and ESS) to get advice and an idea of what I am looking for. I’ve also read previous ‘need advice on a new board’ posts and they have been helpful. Below is information I know you will need to consider:

Weight: 95 kg
Height: 193.5 cm (6’4”)
Boot size: Haven’t had a fitting yet, although my foot was measured today at ESS at my toe reached US 13.
Budget: Considering all

Similar to Dan83 (almost stat wise too), I am looking for a setup that will be decent at a bit of everything. Most of the time I will be riding groomed runs, maybe some off track, pow days and eventually I want to hit the park and nail some boxes/rails. The only boards I have tried so far are hired, not sure what exact board but I do know that they were long (probably given to me as I am quite tall).

Given the progression to park, love of buttering, jumping, tricks, hard turning I would prefer a smaller board for maneuverability. I know that you can ride reverse camber boards a little shorter than regular camber boards. I’ll probably get another board when there too. Based on what I have told the salespeople, I have had a few suggestions:

Board:
- Ride Manic
- Burton Hero (imo too soft for all mountain)
- Burton Joystick
- Skate Banana
- Travis Rice BTX (perhaps too stiff?)
- Burton Custom V Rocker
- A GNU board I can’t remember the name of.

Given my weight, etc a helpful salesperson at ESS suggested a board length between 156-158 (if possible in wide), I can’t remember what width. Given that by boot size will probably be large, I assume I will need a wide board. Any ideas on width size to prevent toe/heel drag? 

Bindings:
Rome 390s (a friend recommended)
Burton bindings (if I get a burton board)
Ride SPI
I like the idea of the Skate Banana, or any of the Lib Techs.

Boots:
What ever fits me well.

I am open to all suggestions and really appreciate your help! If you would like any more info, please ask and I’ll answer as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Beau

Thanks for your reply Mizu!

Not many boards I have been recommended come in a wide :S

What do you think of the Rome 390s (BOSS) too, I can pick up a pair for $330 ($360) and that is inclusive of postage from ebay.

Should my starting point be to go find a pair of boots and select board size from there? I was looking at Burton Ions and Rulers. Do you know much about them?

Cheers!

Beau

Mate I’m 6’3” and at the moment around 110kgs and size 12 or thereabouts depending on the boot, if I was you I would be looking at the Gnu riders choice, they come in wide, are true twin, have the C2 banana and camber combo and will probably be all you’ll need or want for a little while.  I’ve got a 159 banana at the moment and its a great board except at speed, starts to feel a little jittery which is why my next board will be a C2 model.  The other one you might want to look at is the T Rice 161.5 or maybe the Skunk Ape although they are more stiff and somewhat directional.  I love to ride switch so want something that is a true twin.  On that, nothing improved my riding more than learning to ride switch.

I’m a fan of the LibTech and GNU stuff ( both made by the same company) as far as boards go, bindings I like Ride and Burton, DC seem to make a boot thats most comfortable for my foot and I’m starting to want Burton everything for my outwear cause it just works. 

Re your point about the boots, he going wisdom is that they’re the most important part of your setup so yes, get the best fitting boots you can then bindings and board to suit within reason.

Hey nthnbeachesguy, thanks for the response.

After hours of reading, youtube and shopping around I’ve narrowed the list of boards I like to:

- LibTech Travis Rice C2 BTX (157 has a 25.8 width, and it’s blunt which I’m leaning towards, or else the 161.5 (26. something width) if my boots won’t allow me. Although the 161.6 is pointy. The LibTech site says the TRice C2 BTX is a true twin and has a stiffness of 7/10. I was going for a 5-6 (159 banana is 6). Do you have a wide Skate Banana? I think C2 has rectified some of the jitter at speed which is a plus. I think at 95kg I can deal with the stiffness (please correct me if you think my weight wouldn’t be enough to make use of this around the park, as I intend to try park/jibs with it). For now I’m going for a ‘one-board stable’, perhaps converting to a quiver if I find good sales whilst I’m OS.

- Burton Joystick and Custom V-Rocker

- GNU Park Pickle (although an asymmetrical board) and Riders Choice (although I don’t think the RC has enough width for my foot size; just a thought).

I’m a fan of LibTech, I like the way they do things and the quality they present to the market.

Any suggestions on bindings to match the TRice, and other boards? Are Rome 390s too soft for the stiffness of the TRice? I’ve also looked at Ride SPIs and some Union Forces.

Thanks!

I have ridden my mates LT TRice. It had a nice feel to it, it was not too stiff and stable whilst landing - it was a stiffer park boards in comparasion with others which isn’t such a con but it set a limiation for jibs and flatland. It was a light board overall, much lighter than board i’ve ridden such as the Ride Antic. The C2BTX does take a while to get use to, It is not a friendly board IMO. Riding on slush and ice, I found that the magnetraction held firm and tight even with agressive carving. The board I riden was quite wide, but this surprisingly did not affect edge response. 

I ride a 153/8 (87KG, US12) - regular, +15-15 (Duck) with no problems I find that shorter boards were more suitable for me as it was easier for jibs.
I am a huge fan of Union bindings, probably the only bindings I’ve used apart from the Raiden Battery and Flow NXT-AT-SE (both great bindings might I add)

Have a look into the Nitro snowboards, they also have an extensive range of awesome park boards.

Hey Cupid (lulz at the name).

Two questions:

1. Can you comment further on, “it was a stiffer park boards in comparasion with others which isn’t such a con but it set a limiation for jibs and flatland.” Specifically the limitation you speak of, how much of a limitation do you think it is? I was initially drawn to the skate banana because of the softer rating. The park pickle is a 6.5 on the GNU site, 0.5 of an increment lower than the TRC2BTX. I know I’ll have to put in more effort to butter with a TRC2BTX, I can live with that. I like popping tricks whilst riding, riding switch too. I want a board that can jib decently.

What do you mean by saying, “The C2BTX does take a while to get use to, It is not a friendly board IMO”. In what sense? The board you tried, do you know what length it was (I can figure out what width it was), because if you felt it was too wide and you have a US12 boot then I am concerned.

I will check the Nitros out, cheers!

Thanks mate

beauus - 26 October 2010 08:24 AM

Hey nthnbeachesguy, thanks for the response.

After hours of reading, youtube and shopping around I’ve narrowed the list of boards I like to:

- LibTech Travis Rice C2 BTX (157 has a 25.8 width, and it’s blunt which I’m leaning towards, or else the 161.5 (26. something width) if my boots won’t allow me. Although the 161.6 is pointy. The LibTech site says the TRice C2 BTX is a true twin and has a stiffness of 7/10. I was going for a 5-6 (159 banana is 6). Do you have a wide Skate Banana? I think C2 has rectified some of the jitter at speed which is a plus. I think at 95kg I can deal with the stiffness (please correct me if you think my weight wouldn’t be enough to make use of this around the park, as I intend to try park/jibs with it). For now I’m going for a ‘one-board stable’, perhaps converting to a quiver if I find good sales whilst I’m OS.

- Burton Joystick and Custom V-Rocker

- GNU Park Pickle (although an asymmetrical board) and Riders Choice (although I don’t think the RC has enough width for my foot size; just a thought).

I’m a fan of LibTech, I like the way they do things and the quality they present to the market.

Any suggestions on bindings to match the TRice, and other boards? Are Rome 390s too soft for the stiffness of the TRice? I’ve also looked at Ride SPIs and some Union Forces.

Thanks!

I don’t think the Rome 390s are too soft, but that’s a personal choice (I only weigh 65kg). You could step up to the Rome Targas if you want something a bit more responsive (FYI you can adjust the response of the Targas). You weigh 95kg so stepping up to the Targas might be a good decision, especially riding big mountains in Canada. Personally I like stiffer bindings and it has never hindered my ability to ride park or rails.

Cheers Jeremy

Are there any equivalent bindings to the Rome Targas you would suggest?

the trice in my experience, rides like a cambered board except in powder when it has an extra bounce, and on a cattrack/flat area when you’re on the flat base.

For a guy who has only been riding for 20 days, I think you’re overthinking all the specs of the boards out there. When you’re ready to buy, just go to a store and see what they have that’s in your price range, and pick a setup that looks good. Trust me when I say that you will get used to whatever you buy. All the boards you have listed are good. I don’t think any company makes a crap board in that price range. Seriously, I have been riding for 13 years and in that time have ridden loads of boards. Is something with v-rocker better for me than flying v, or c2? You know what, although they feel different, I know I’d like all of them if they matched my specs.

beauus - 27 October 2010 01:34 AM

Cheers Jeremy

Are there any equivalent bindings to the Rome Targas you would suggest?

Burton Cartels and Union Forces would be the first I would look at. Burton co2s or Flux Super Titan would also be similar, maybe a tad stiffer.

[quote author=“Gamblor” date=“1288105698” Trust me when I say that you will get used to whatever you buy. All the boards you have listed are good. I don’t think any company makes a crap board in that price range. Seriously, I have been riding for 13 years and in that time have ridden loads of boards. Is something with v-rocker better for me than flying v, or c2? You know what, although they feel different, I know I’d like all of them if they matched my specs.

This comment is so true, and it is good to hear someone say it.

We all get so caught up in the hype of the newest shapes etc. When though they are different, it’s not like you’ll end up with a “Bad” board.
I’d encourage most people to stay away from the lowest price point boards, but other than that… They are all good.

Given the progression to park, love of buttering, jumping, tricks, hard turning I would prefer a smaller board for maneuverability. I know that you can ride reverse camber boards a little shorter than regular camber boards. I’ll probably get another board when there too. Based on what I have told the salespeople, I have had a few suggestions:

Concentrate on this!!

I would always recommend a shorter and softer (torsional flex) board for anyone buying their first board and looking to progress with buttering, jibs and spins. Stiffer all mountain boards are more difficult to progress your skills on - way less fun (IMHO) start off with a jib stick and step up to a stiffer all mountain weapon when you want to ride faster and hit bigger jumps. You can still ride anywhere on a noodle (just not as fast). Considering you’re thinking of a second board to add to the quiver go the jib stick to start with. Anything with a 5 flex or less!!

my2¢

Rome 390s are the bomb!

Thanks for your responses! smile I’ll look at boots first and go from there.

Mizu Kuma - 27 October 2010 11:27 PM

I think that they have re-named the Flux Super Titan to the RK30??? Not 100% positive on that one but!!!

New Flux’s on their site http://www.flux-bindings.com/en/index.html

You’re right but the 2011 bindings aren’t in stores in Australia yet. They have arrived in the country though and should be in stores soon. Can’t wait to grab a set myself.

beauus - 29 October 2010 07:31 AM

Thanks for your responses! smile I’ll look at boots first and go from there.

Let us know how you go, Beau.