The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for advice on a new board…

just when you go to buy your board ask them to throw in the m6 kit. if they won’t throw it in it’s only $10.

I’m probably mistaken, but isn’t the M6 kit only for bindings without EST?!? Or is it for last years EST bindings also? From what I gathered, the shop guy seemed to think the bolts that come with the 11 boards were just slightly too short to connect 2010 EST bindings.

Hey Jeremy, have you heard of the Sherlock? It’s a new Burton board with the flying V shape. I’ve compared its tech with the Custom FV and they are very very similar. Besides some small differences in stance setback, shape etc, it only seems to lack the ‘special’ sintered base and the lightning bolt. Not sure of the price in Whistler (or if its even available here yet) but on the US Burton website it’s $50 cheaper. BTW the Custom FV is $650 at the shops here (minus extra taxes of course). It will be cheaper with the season pass though. Do you think you’ll be getting the Custom FV?

Oh also, I got the 2010 Burton Ions for a good price and they are super comfy, so pretty stoked with that buy.

You were right about the shrinkage tech Gamblor, I ended up fitting into a 10.5 boot (last one they had too!). Much better than my previous 11.5. Plus the boots were even smaller than another 10.5 boot I tried.

cool, so you’re in a 10.5 now? that’s a 9.5 footprint. Say hello to 250mm waisted boards!

The Sherlock was one of the boards that I was really excited about this year. I was going to get it but found a 2010 lib tech lando (which is sort of similar) for super cheap so I grabbed that instead. The sherlock looks to be a sick board. A freestyle twin tip, but built for pow. One guy who tested it said it felt like riding a tapered board (major float) in pow, yet it’s not. There’s a video of marko grilc in the park with another B pro and one of them is riding the sherlock in the park. If you watch the new vids, mikey rencz is riding it, as well as mark sollors sometimes. I think it’d be a great board for whistler.

Dan83 - 19 October 2010 07:27 PM

I’m probably mistaken, but isn’t the M6 kit only for bindings without EST?!? Or is it for last years EST bindings also? From what I gathered, the shop guy seemed to think the bolts that come with the 11 boards were just slightly too short to connect 2010 EST bindings.

The M6 kit is for any pre-2011 Burton binding to be used with a 2011 channel board. Gamblor it correct, you should have received the kit with your snowboard.

Copy and paste from Burton.com:

Don’t toss your old Burton bindings. The NEW M6 Transition Kit (available for free with board purchase) contains everything needed to ride pre-2011 Burton disc and EST™ bindings with the latest generation of The Channel. The kit includes two retro discs for compatibility with Burton disc bindings, as well as a full set of the M6 Transition hardware for compatibility with both Burton disc and EST™ bindings.

Link here

Dan83 - 19 October 2010 07:34 PM

Hey Jeremy, have you heard of the Sherlock? It’s a new Burton board with the flying V shape. I’ve compared its tech with the Custom FV and they are very very similar. Besides some small differences in stance setback, shape etc, it only seems to lack the ‘special’ sintered base and the lightning bolt. Not sure of the price in Whistler (or if its even available here yet) but on the US Burton website it’s $50 cheaper. BTW the Custom FV is $650 at the shops here (minus extra taxes of course). It will be cheaper with the season pass though. Do you think you’ll be getting the Custom FV?

Hey Dan, yeah I know the Sherlock. All the feedback I heard about the Sherlock from the 2011 Burton Product Launch this season was very positive - there’s been a lot of hype around it. The whole idea behind the Sherlock is a freestyle board for deep powder and natural terrain. From my understanding, it’s more of a freeride/powder board than the Custom FV. I would assume the Custom FV would be better in the park, but I’d want to ride the Sherlock before claiming that. The Custom FV has a twin flex, while the Sherlock has a directional flex. Both excellent boards, both will be top sellers - you just need to decide what will be best for your intended riding this season. I still think the Custom FV will be more versatile, which is key for a place like Whistler. The Custom FV also has a sintered WFO base, which the Sherlock doesn’t - not a huge deal, but notable.

This is what Burton Rider Services had to say about the comparison between the Custom FV and the Sherlock:

Those two boards are very similar to one another. The both have a feel rating of a 5 (on a scale of 1-10, one being the softest and ten being the stiffest). They have the same core and both feature the flying v technology. The Custom V has a little more absorbant base than the Sherlock, so technically the Custom V should run a bit faster then the Sherlock. One stand out feature that the Custom V has is the new Lightning Bolts.

Don’t forget the Sherlock has:
smooth ride internal dampening (like on the T7)
side effects for pow
and it glows in the dark!

Thanks for the M6 info, that solves it then.

Some good feedback on the sherlock too, cheers. Either board sounds wicked really! I was also thinking the sherlock was slightly more orientated for all mountain/powder and the Custom FV maybe slightly better all round, but this is interesting - the sherlock has a twin like shape but directional flex yeah (Custom FV is opposite in both respects), yet say the joystick (which I assume is for freestyle/park/powder) is also twin and directional. I guess Burton deliberately make them all ever so slightly different so its not easy to completely categorise each board.

Talking about the joystick, have you guys ridden that board (I vaguely remember you saying you had one Jeremy)? Looks awesome too. Different style with V rocker and not the flying V but it does have the frostbite edges which is meant to help on ice conditions (which seesm to be the general weakness for the rocker boards). Maybe I shouldn’t add another board to the mix wink

Dan83 - 20 October 2010 06:36 PM

Thanks for the M6 info, that solves it then.

I was also thinking the sherlock was slightly more orientated for all mountain/powder and the Custom FV maybe slightly better all round

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Sherlock = awesome in pow but still a twin so park is ok, Custom = the ultimate do it all board. What I find on my custom x is that I don’t notice it’s there. It handles everything great. But when I’m on my malolo in pow, I think “OMG this board is soooooo awesome”
Next, the joystick. I think it will be easier to differentiate since the rocker profile is different. v-rocker vs flying v. The joystick will feel a tad looser and you’ll be steering the board from the middle as opposed to your front foot.
I rode a joystick and an Easy living flying v in deep pow last winter and while they felt different, both were super fun. I think whichever you choose you will be happy with.

Oh and frostbite edges are nothing to write home about. You won’t be on ice thinking “this frostbite tech is saving me from dying”. It’s really hard to even see it.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a board based on it’s ice handling characteristics/benefits, looking back on all my riding i can only think of a handful of occasions where it may have made a slight difference.

well, it has a bigger effect on your regular riding than anything. the biggest complaint about rocker is that the boards wash out, so by making the board have greater edge ‘bite’ then you’re giving back some control to the rider

Dan83 - 20 October 2010 06:36 PM

Talking about the joystick, have you guys ridden that board (I vaguely remember you saying you had one Jeremy)? Looks awesome too. Different style with V rocker and not the flying V but it does have the frostbite edges which is meant to help on ice conditions (which seesm to be the general weakness for the rocker boards). Maybe I shouldn’t add another board to the mix wink

I recently ordered myself a 2011 Joystick, haven’t ridden it though. I tested the 2010 Joystick at the Burton Product Launch a couple of seasons ago. I absolutely loved it! Such a fun board, really suited my riding style for most conditions in Australia. I will say it wouldn’t be my first pick for big mountain, carving, or anything out of Australia. Keep in mind I have a Fish, a Custom, and Uninc - all in Canada. It’s a super nice board to have in the quiver, but the V-Rocker makes the ride pretty loose, so not my first choice for hard riding.

^such a burton fanboy raspberry