The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What time and where to buy equipment?

So I’m looking to buy a snowboard and whole ski set up for the upcoming NH winter (preferably last years gear cause it will be cheaper). As the title suggests I was wondering where is better value for buying, USA (Seattle), or Canada (Vancouver), and is there any difference in value in October vs November? Any particularly good places to buy in either city would be appreciated as well? smile

america will be cheaper than canada. I think evo is in seattle. it’s 40% off 2010 boards right now

This isn’t the cheapest option, but worth mentioning - once you get your staff pass at Whistler you will receive a minimum of 20% off snowboard equipment and accessories.

^this is an option, and one I’ll probably use for another set of bindings and some new outerwear once I’m over there. Just comes down to what I want and where I can buy it from.

Alternatively if you can hang out until just after christmas a few places in whistler do big sales then. I know Comor did this in 08/09.

I buy equipment whenever I go to America. If equipment is really needed, i purchase over the internet from America, even with shipping and exchange rate its still a couple of hundred cheaper.

Cheers for the comments smile

That shop evo looks good Gamblor, will prob check it out.

evo is a super legit shop.
Depending on how long you have in Seattle and where you’ll be staying you can always shop online and get the stuff sent to the address there.

I didn’t end up getting gear in Seattle. It was gonna be way too difficult (and expensive) for various reasons.

But if anyones interested in price comparisons between US and Canada, I think the US is about 10-20% cheaper. I only looked at several products and shops but that seems to be about the difference between the RRP (so not taking into account sales). For example Burton Ion boots $400 in US $450 in Canada. Also that’s taking into account that the exchange rates are almost the same atm.

With the 20% staff discount at Whistler it evens it out anyway.

One thing I will say about ions, and this goes with saying that these are the best fitting boots I have ever worn… but..

I put 100+ days on a pair of new Ions in 2009, then got the 2010s on warrenty and put 140 on them. both pairs broke down around 60-80 days at (of all places) the eyelets?? Yup, the lacing eyelets in the speedlace system has a tendency to rip free of the leather mounts in the boot, forcing you to tie your speedlace by hand. I dont know if anyone has tried to tie that parachute cord by hand but.. it sucks.

I believe they improved the lacing (laces and system) significantly for 2010/11. I’m a bit surprised you had such issues with your 2010s, but yeah that’s not cool. I had the 2006 Ions, then the 2008 Ions - the lacing system back then was beefy and I had no issues after 150-200 days in them. I have been using 2009 SL-10s for the last 150 days or so and they have been unreal, best boots I’ve ever used for sure. That said, I did have the laces fray and need replacing around the 100 day mark. It was a pain in the butt, but they did give me a new set of laces under warranty, no questions asked. I was told by Burton that the new laces should not have any of the problems experienced with the 2009 models. Ian, was it the laces that frayed, or the eyelets on the actual boots?

The new Ions looks awesome, great fitting boot (for my feet anyway), one of the best boots on the market if they work for your feet. I hope there wouldn’t be any issues with the 2011 boots, but you’re backed by Burton warranty anyway. I’m not trying to defend Burton, but my experience with the Ions have always been positive.

stay away from boots with those see-through plastic bits in the sole (Nike Air-style) (I’m referring to burtons). They always fail and let water in.
I found that the leather around the speedzone around the lower zone ripped (happened with 2 pairs of 09 ions).