The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

good skate cameras?

i really wanna get a vx1 or 2 but i dont know if it is worth it ?

noah101,

We have a pretty good video and photo section to the Boardworld forums. You should post your question there.
And maybe mention what brand the VX series of cameras are. wink

Before suggesting a high end super expensive some what difficult camera for you to get how about some details, like are you using anything right now, are you familiar with the (Guessing sony) VX1… have you used it before, how serious are you about filming, are you planing on just posting on the internet?  Any other details that you can think of.. oh one more are you only shooting skate?

Give us something to work with and we can help you out a little better.

what darb said.

essentially the battle now is DSLR vs conventional camera bodies. im of the DSLR group, so i can definetly help you out there. as darb said the VX is a very expensive (but excellent) investment.

Darb: i am using a Cannon legeria HFM300 and i am familiar with sony as i had a sony camera before. i love my filming and i defently want to keep doing it when i am older. i am posting on the internet for now but hopefully not for long. for now i am on;y shooting skating but when i get older i will shoot more stuff.

Well mate really if you have the money go for it.  It sounds like you know what you want and for what I know about it, it will give you room to grow.  The only other option i would suggest is getting a DSLR like the Canon 7d (But not limiting you to only this model).  But it seems to be heaps different then filming with a actual video camera.

As a little disclaimer:  I am a photographer not a videographer so I am not fully educated on video.  Let us know what you decide and if you have more questions feel free to ask and we will do our best to help you out!

It is much different - filming on a DSLR vs a conventional cam. I could go on for a long long time, but here’s why I opted for the DSLR route in my filming setup.

- infinant customisation of shot - custom picture styles, aperature/shutter settings, iso / custom white balance… you can literally shoot movies with these cameras. season finally of house, all shot on a canon 5dmkII

- Interchangeable lenses - the depth of field that this allows, the different looks for a lower price, the different focal lengths… all reasons to love this feature of DSLR filming

- Interpretable footage - every computer understands .mov files, making it easy to upload and share footage with friends quickly. furthermore, no 3rd party softward with a ‘log and transfer’ feature (like final cut) is required, just the software which comes with the camera.

- Lower cost overall - things like mics, lights, your tripod setup, follow focus accessories, lenses, alllll cheaper on DSLR route.

warnings of dslrs-

- not as stable until you develop a very good hand. I’ve been filming almost every day for a year with the same cam and am just now starting to get follow fisheye stuff on my skate i’m happy with.

- footage can look cheap if improper settings are used

- lower end dslrs have cheap builds to them

cheers

good information

Your set up will of course be determined by your budget and if your planning on videoing throughout your lifetime you may find, over the years, you will acquire many different cameras.

Like any trade - the right tool for the job.

I haven’t had a chance to do any dslr filming yet - the major concern I have is putting such an expensive piece of kit in damaging situations. Especially if using your best glass. I’ve broken lenses protected in backpacks and don’t want to think what would happen if $10k worth of gear was smashed by an out of control skateboard or dropped from the top of a pipe/moving car/or gets tangled around a gocart axle for 4 laps (happened to me last week-I had the right tool for that job and the cam is fine)

Digital files like .mov are a compressed video file to reduce data size and for ease of use - which means the quality is reduced. A video camera recording to tape is able to record at a much higher information rate and the VX1 is not CMOS it’s CCD. These days CMOS can do as good a job as CCD - if it’s a good CMOS sensor. But almost always CMOS camera’s record to memory card as a compressed file.

Then we have to consider 720p and larger resolutions (referred to as High Definition) and if your computer system is going to work with that.

My suggestion would be to start out ‘low end’ and buy something particular to your need within your budget. It might get broken or technology could change. And when you want to expand your subject matter - work a way of using what you have available or if affordable (who knows you might make the money) buy something better down the track. At the very least what’s new today you will be able to find cheaper at a second hand price in 3 months.

Canon make excellent glass for their cameras - whether still or video.

Sony VX series I have used. They are a great camera and you will notice a huge difference from the Cannon HFM300. The Sony will last a long time! I know of a VX1000 that is now unrepairable after 10 years of week in/out use in snow and salt climates and many services.

The best thing about memory cards - no moving parts to break.