The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Powder - which one of my boards to use

So I have 2 boards, my first board, a 2011 164W burton bullet and a 2014 157 Skunk Ape (not the HP).
The Skunk Ape has been my only board for the past year (Aus, NZ & Whistler), no powder usage to speak of, just all-mountain riding and it is awesome - I have size 12 boots, 6’1 and 95-100kg
I’m heading to do some Heli in NZ this August as well as Japan For the first time in Jan/Feb 2016. I have 3 options:
1. Use the Skunk Ape. Is it too short? Will it float at all? Or will I just barge through the Pow?
2. Use the Bullet, it is supposed to be ok for powder. Get it tuned and waxed and switch my Cartel bindings across. Take both boards, Skunk for resorts and Bullet for Heli.
3. Get a new board? Maybe a longer HP Skunk Ape - 161?
Looking fwd to some ideas…

use both at the same time, one on each foot, kinda like skis but you’ll still have the coolness of a snowboarder

Haven’t read the stats on the boards as I cbf, but in general if there’s a board out of what you have that’s rocker AND set back/directional, use that one.

Otherwise I would prioritize a rockered board and you can set the stance “back” yourself if it’s for a one off.

Now that’s an idea!

Yeah the Bullet is a rocker and sets back a fair way. Will take both and give that one a shot first….

Skunk Ape

Nvm, I misread your post. I thought your Skunk ape is 167.

Go with the Bullet then.

I would take the skunk ape to NZ as the terrain is wide “No Trees” and fairly steep depending on where they take you. Japan get a new board as you will mostly be riding trees so you need a board that floats well and turns tight the boards you have are average for this, get a YES 420 152cm or YES 2020, there are also plenty of other short wide powder boards coming out this year.

Thanks guys, looks like I’ll use the Bullet for Japan, Skunk Ape for NZ.  Given that Japan is next year, I’ll have extra time to perhaps buy a proper powder board grin

Welcome to Boardworld, Highman666! shaka

I agree with what Nigel said. I would use your Skunk Ape in NZ and look for a new board for Japan. Personally, I would NOT want to be riding a Burton Bullet in deep Japanese powder. Not to mention, it has an extruded base which isn’t ideal in powder, especially in Japan where the terrain tends to be more mellow with more “momentum traps” where you can get bogged down. That said, the shape and profile is suitable at least, so while not 100% ideal in my opinion, you could make it work if you’re tight on budget.

If/when you’re ready to talk about a new board, you’ve come to the right place. Start a new thread and we will help you with whatever you need. You will also receive a member discount on anything you purchase (our new website and store is launching in May).

Ideally, I would put you on something like the YES 420 (as Nigel suggested). Perfect powder board and it would accommodate your boots easily. Lifetime warranty as well. It’s the board on the right (2016 model coming out this season).

Also, have a read through this thread: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/14844

Yeah I’ve been reading up on that 420 - looks pretty impressive.

I had been starting to think about getting a 161 Skunk HP and getting rid of both my regular 157 Skunk and the Bullet - you know, sticking with just one board rather than lugging 2 around - the NZ trip will be both resorts and Heli, while Japan *may* well lead directly onto Whistler for an extra week or so.

Now I have a real dilemma - first world problems hey!

Thanks for all of the advice and yes I will start up a separate thread in a month or so when my travel plans become more solid… cheese

^ Nah man, keep the both it’s always nice to have options, even tho’ I can see where you’re going with the 161 skape hp.

Jez… the graphics on dat PYL….... I’m tempted.

@grunge: Buy mine :D

^ you got the 2016 PYL?

The one above? If so done.

He does not. LOL

2013 best PYL graphic