The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best way to Remove rust from snowboard screw holes?

As the title says anyone got a good way to get rid of any surface rust in the threads on a board,  noticed some on my Yes PYL

Never had that problem but I’d assume that if you’re careful then you can put some CLR or high concentration hydrogen peroxide into the inserts with the rusty threads (probably mask off the board around the inserts first, who knows what those chemicals would do to the topsheet).

Then to scrape the threads clean you can probably get some steel wool in there, or even just screw something in and out a bunch of times to wear away at the surface.

If that doesn’t work there are a bunch more things that are supposed to help clean rust. WD-40 works apparently, and so do many common acids (vinegar, citric…) which you can fill the inserts with and leave for 24 hours, before scraping it away with something as before.

Best of luck.

CLR says not to use on painted or laminated surfaces, but if you’re carefull and use a dropper or a syringe (get them from the chemist for 20c) and drip it in the holes. i wouldent see a problem.
Then clean it out with a q-tip.
Peroxide would probably mess the top sheet up.

I wonder if using a tap, from a tap and die set would work. and just taping out the rust, as if you were making a new hole.

a tap would probably work, but it’s fairly easy to mess up the threads if you on’t know what you are doing. and that wouldn’t be fun on a board

It may not be deep rust but some light oxidization of the steel parts, nothing to get worried about.

Happens to the parts of my guitars (Most the cheapest one I have is $1500) and the best way to upkeep is to drop some machine oil into the holes.

What I’d do is use some sort of teflon coated oil, like….. TF2 or tri flow (I have these for my bicycle, but any machine oil will do) and dab it on a binding screw, and then screw in and out a few times to get the rust flakes out and then wipe down with cloth/tissue.

Easy peasy.

just use a small wire brush, spin it in there and clean out the hole without any drama or worry about damage.