The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Budget for Japan. 

^ Bullettrain?

If you’re planning to travel via bullet train for a week or more (more than 1 round trip) you may want to look at the Japan Rail Pass. Plus it gives you free access to JR lines.

grunge - 16 January 2015 10:58 AM

^ Bullettrain?

If you’re planning to travel via bullet train for a week or more (more than 1 round trip) you may want to look at the Japan Rail Pass. Plus it gives you free access to JR lines.

Good tip. Just going Tokyo to hakuba and back so maybe not necessary on this trip.

Tokyoites - any suggestions on what area is good to stay to check the City out ?

Globe - 17 January 2015 11:13 AM

^ Bullettrain?

Good tip. Just going Tokyo to hakuba and back so maybe not necessary on this trip.

Tokyoites - any suggestions on what area is good to stay to check the City out ?

Yeah, if you’re just gonna do a return trip out then the pass will be a waste of moola!!!!!

Stay in Shinjuku!!!!!

If you’re gonna feel the vibe of busy Tokyo, then do it where it’s at its best!!!!!

Try and get accomo near Shinjuku Station (west of is quiter, East is busier in regards to nightlife), as you can then access the Yamanote Line, as this will get you to all the places around Tokyo that’ll keep you occupied for days!!!!!

If your stay is prior to headin out to Hakuba, try for accomo that’s also near the Marounouchi Line as well, cause this is super easy access from Shinjuku to Tokyo Station where you catch the Shink!!!!! (Look at places around the Hilton in Shinjuku as this is roughly the best place to stay I reckon)

... did someone say.. YAMANOTE?

SHIMBASH!

LOL Only in Japan!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 21 January 2015 08:37 AM
Globe - 17 January 2015 11:13 AM

^ Bullettrain?

Yeah, if you’re just gonna do a return trip out then the pass will be a waste of moola!!!!!

Stay in Shinjuku!!!!!

If you’re gonna feel the vibe of busy Tokyo, then do it where it’s at its best!!!!!

Try and get accomo near Shinjuku Station (west of is quiter, East is busier in regards to nightlife), as you can then access the Yamanote Line, as this will get you to all the places around Tokyo that’ll keep you occupied for days!!!!!

If your stay is prior to headin out to Hakuba, try for accomo that’s also near the Marounouchi Line as well, cause this is super easy access from Shinjuku to Tokyo Station where you catch the Shink!!!!! (Look at places around the Hilton in Shinjuku as this is roughly the best place to stay I reckon)

Cheers. Booked a place in Shinjuku a couple of days ago. Just over a week to go.

Any tips re Hakuba. Boarding, I’m intermediate she’s beginner to int. thinking of hitting happo and 47 first couple of days. Heard you can get cheap tickets for lifts. Both veggie so hopefully decent food on the hill. So looking forward to it.

Japan is great for food. Worst that happens, you can survive on noodles and rice till you get off the hill.

Happo and 47 are both decent however Iwatake and Tsugaike were probably better for beginners even though they were further away. Happo has crowds and 47 is the main park resort.

Take that for what you will though, I only spent a day at each and 2 at Happo (+1 at Cortina).

Can’t fill ya in on any places to chow down on in Hakuba, but I’m pretty sure there’ll be plenty of tofu, beans, edamame, seaweed salads, and Okonomiyaki to keep your taste buds satisfied!!!!!

Their Buddhist background will definitly be present somewhere!!!!!

Globe - 21 January 2015 05:40 PM

Any tips re Hakuba. Boarding, I’m intermediate she’s beginner to int. thinking of hitting happo and 47 first couple of days. Heard you can get cheap tickets for lifts. Both veggie so hopefully decent food on the hill. So looking forward to it.

IF you go 47 you get Goryu access as well. (kinda like whistler blackcomb.)
Also look out for those vouchers that give you like 1000yen vouchers towards food at their canteen with the day pass I found it really important as it pretty much was a free lunch. You can find this in most snowboard shops if you’re in tokyo otherwise, do a quick google search for “hakuba ticket passes” or something similar and you should be able to print an effload. They accept printouts.

All 5 resorts nearby are within shot and you should have free shuttle buses to take you there so you should be okay whatever resort you try. Depending on where you are staying, usually the furthest would be cortina and maybe happo 1.

Cheers guys. We are staying within walking distance of happo one. Living in nz and boarding at turoa being able to walk to the slopes as opposed to a 30min drive is heaven sent.  Defo going to check out cortina one day towards the end once the boss has got her eye in.

Globe - 22 January 2015 05:32 AM

Cheers guys. We are staying within walking distance of happo one. Living in nz and boarding at turoa being able to walk to the slopes as opposed to a 30min drive is heaven sent.  Defo going to check out cortina one day towards the end once the boss has got her eye in.

Wait for it to be a predicted powder day. Cortina on a powder day is apparantly amazing.

You also get a free lunch and Onsen with your Cortina pass (at least I did back in the day)