The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What’s your latest purchase?

rider26 - 31 December 2014 07:06 AM
McCrankypie - 30 December 2014 06:22 PM

Noise cancelling models are ridiculously expensive, but come in handy for long flights. I’ve always used dj headphones for general use and found them to be great all round headphones. Only problem with them is they tend to have really long cords for obvious reasons.

I actually saw (and tested) a really decent set of Sony noise-cancelling headphones (95% cancellation) at Costco in Vancouver for $50! gulp

They are prob the ones i have!

I got mine from a Best Buy vending machine at SFO last time i was there.

Best investment!

Were they ear bud ones? I prefer them on the plane for sleeping.

On ear headphones

Ahhh - yeah mine were in ear. $65

Picked this up last week. Love it!!

Been wanting to get into vinyl for some time so finally I have my turntable.

Now the only problem is a lack of vinyl. I only have a handful of records and I’ve already listened to them all numerous times. I can see this is going get expensive.  big surprise

My latest is a new paddle for my SUP board.. (my old one - of you can call 2 months old- is at the bottom of narrabeen lake…) thanks to my cousins on Saturday when they decided to borrow it and decided to take turns jumping off it while forgetting about the paddle as it slowly filled with water and sank (its a 3 piece paddle that collapses in half and is height adjustable so it fits in the bag with the board.. - board is inflatable and rolls into a large back pack)

Anyways.. $360 later (they put $200 in as that’s the value of the old paddle) I have a brand new carbon fiber Redpaddleco 3 piece paddle on its way to me..  Its a nice improvement - didn’t really need the upgrade.. But I figured since I now *have* to replace it.. Why not get better!!

h0z - 05 January 2015 01:46 PM

My latest is a new paddle for my SUP board.. (my old one - of you can call 2 months old- is at the bottom of narrabeen lake…) thanks to my cousins on Saturday when they decided to borrow it and decided to take turns jumping off it while forgetting about the paddle as it slowly filled with water and sank (its a 3 piece paddle that collapses in half and is height adjustable so it fits in the bag with the board.. - board is inflatable and rolls into a large back pack)

Anyways.. $360 later (they put $200 in as that’s the value of the old paddle) I have a brand new carbon fiber Redpaddleco 3 piece paddle on its way to me..  Its a nice improvement - didn’t really need the upgrade.. But I figured since I now *have* to replace it.. Why not get better!!

Damn, thats an expensive paddle :/
Can you put some expanding foam inside the pieces, or even tie a float to it? wouldn’t want to loose the new one.

I went kayaking a while back and lost a paddle, thankfully it was only a few meters down and I was able to dive down and retrieve it.

Tills - 05 January 2015 09:32 AM

Picked this up last week. Love it!!

Been wanting to get into vinyl for some time so finally I have my turntable.

Now the only problem is a lack of vinyl. I only have a handful of records and I’ve already listened to them all numerous times. I can see this is going get expensive.  big surprise

Makes me wish i never got rid of mine :(
But yeah, vinyl is an expesive hobby, lol, and becomes an addiction.
Juno, and Mid-Town are good… all the good record stores are in NL and UK… well depending what you play anyway.

DR1F7R - 05 January 2015 03:36 PM
h0z - 05 January 2015 01:46 PM

Damn, thats an expensive paddle :/
Can you put some expanding foam inside the pieces, or even tie a float to it? wouldn’t want to loose the new one.

I went kayaking a while back and lost a paddle, thankfully it was only a few meters down and I was able to dive down and retrieve it.

Well it floats.. I dropped it in small waves at Jervis bay (really small waves) and it floated.. Same when I’ve dropped it in the lake before… It sank because they left it for so long :(  but the new one is lighter - and I wont make the mistake of lending it anymore anyways!  also $360 is mid range.. Lol they go up to $5-600 big surprise

h0z - 05 January 2015 08:28 PM

Well it floats.. I dropped it in small waves at Jervis bay (really small waves) and it floated.. Same when I’ve dropped it in the lake before… It sank because they left it for so long :(  but the new one is lighter - and I wont make the mistake of lending it anymore anyways!  also $360 is mid range.. Lol they go up to $5-600 big surprise

Ha, dont blame you.
$600 for a stick is mental :/ Though carbon fibre can get pricey i guess.

My old man has 3 SUP boards and paddles… just realised how much he probably spent, haha.
Actually he was recently published in SUP Australia. He wrote a story about his trip to Kozzie.

Yep! Not a cheap sport.. (but neither are most of the fun ones.. Haha don’t even want to know how much I spent on snow gear!) decent sups go for 13-1500 and race ones can get as much as 2000+ its insane..

Mine is an inflatable.. (due to the portability - no way would it fit in my Mazda 3.. And Mr.h0z uses the roof racks for his kayak - and also because of the lack of storage space I have) and cost me $1000, so its cheap compared to regular boards lol

Sounds like inflatable is the smart choice then.
That or you just need a bigger car, or get the Mr into SUPing as well, you can get two boards on roof racks ;P haha.

Im tossing up between a SUP or a kayak, wont be until after i move, but atm leaning on the kayak side.

h0z - 06 January 2015 04:10 PM

Yep! Not a cheap sport.. (but neither are most of the fun ones.. Haha don’t even want to know how much I spent on snow gear!) decent sups go for 13-1500 and race ones can get as much as 2000+ its insane..

Mine is an inflatable.. (due to the portability - no way would it fit in my Mazda 3.. And Mr.h0z uses the roof racks for his kayak - and also because of the lack of storage space I have) and cost me $1000, so its cheap compared to regular boards lol

aside from the the top to bottom holders..

SnowDragon - 06 January 2015 06:56 PM

aside from the the top to bottom holders..

You win life Tetris for today :p

On a side note, bought a Kogan cold-press juicer. Mate has one, and at $75, I couldent resist.

Hah yeah $300 is not bad for a paddle but it does make a massive difference I’ve been loving my quickblade! Looking forward to a paddle when I get back hoz I’ll hit Mike up as well although then you northern beaches folk will then outnumber me.  hmmm

As anyone unliucky enough to follow me on instagram or facebook knows I got myself a new camera a whole 3 days before I flew out. I’ve always avoided buying a camera as I like to travel/hike liteweight but with the fun I’m having so far I wish I’d got one earlier! I’ve already added a tripod, wide angle lens and a bunch of other accessories to my wish list!  gulp

Sony A7 full frame mirrorless with kit lens (for now)

Nice!! I have 3 dslrs!! Haha they are another expensive hobby. But they can be very rewarding..  Currently saving for my next lens.. (Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 USM II ) its a nice $2,400!! 

And yes drc. A paddle will be much needed! Been really sick this week.. Off work and on 2 medications and an inhaler for a chest and throat infection… So haven’t been for a paddle in around a week now!! - that’s the longest I’ve been since I got the board! Lol