The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Ptex base repair

What depth gouges do you normally fill/leave ? I’ve got a few scratches but dunno if I should fill them.

Cheers

Hey mate, any chance you could post a couple of photos of the damage?

Generally, I never bother filling “scratches”. They don’t really affect performance in my opinion and they are easily removed when you get your next base grind.

The thing is, it’s pretty difficult to do a good p-tex repair unless you have the right equipment (p-tex gun). You can use the drip method with a p-tex stick, but this leads to oxidation and generally the p-tex eventually crumbles and falls out (at least in my experience). A decent gouge is best left to the experts to fill properly.

Post a photo if you can and it will be easier to give you accurate advice.

+1 what Jez said.

I’ve got quite a few gouges on my board up to about 3-4mm deep, and I don’t fill it in unless I’m quite sure it’s deep enough to get close to the base.
Usually a base grind will remove most scratches but even then chances are most people these days changes boards quicker than the boards need a base grind.

I’ve only done one gouge coz I felt it was pretty deep.
The mrs’ board has heaps of scratches and the only ones she gets filled are the ones that go into the core, you can see past the base.

Hey Globe,

One thing I would add to the comments above, is that if the scratch is near your edge it is worth filling, as gouges, especially long ones running parallel to the edge can lead to your board ‘tracking’ to one side, which is annoying and impacts your riding alot.

I run a snowboard tuning workshop and I generally tell customers not to worry about fine scratches, but deeper gouges we advise filling and core shots MUST be filled as any water getting into the core will kill your pop pretty quickly!

Just had another look. Deepest is about 1mm rest are superficial, look untidy but barely 1/2 mm deep. Think I’ll leave them give it a good wax and see how it looks after that. Cheers guys