The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for advice on a new board…

Dan83 - 09 October 2010 12:37 PM

Thanks snowslider that clears a lot up.

So in essence you’re saying that the m6 transition kit works then for all older style bindings, not just Burton? That would be nice.

Yes, that is the way that I understand it too…
so, if you dont have 2011 EST bindings then you need the M6 kit, weither you have older Burton bindings, or any other brand.
Anything can work on 2011 The Channel, but you need the M kit, if you dont have a 2011 EST binding.

But EST bindings… they only work on aboard with Channel.

Now…. the combination of the EST and Channel is all about getting the boot closer to the board enhancing the “feel” of your ride.
and there’s a few different bases you can put on the binding to cant or soften etc…

The M6 kit DOES NOT come with the board. it only comes with the binding.
Therefore if you buy a board… you get a part of the hardware, but it is not the m6 kit… the piece that you get with the board is the “female” part of the bolt, that fits into The Channel… the circular disc for the baseplate to the binding, and the bolts come with the binding. Hardware has always come with the bindings.

rider26 - 10 October 2010 12:50 AM

Also check out this page: http://www.burton.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Burton_US-Site/default/CustomerService-M6

Any questions, let me know.

Rider provided this link that really answers most questions.

snowslider - 10 October 2010 12:13 PM

The M6 kit DOES NOT come with the board. it only comes with the binding.
Therefore if you buy a board… you get a part of the hardware, but it is not the m6 kit… the piece that you get with the board is the “female” part of the bolt, that fits into The Channel… the circular disc for the baseplate to the binding, and the bolts come with the binding. Hardware has always come with the bindings.

this is incorrect. the plates have always come with ics boards.
Also, the M6 kit DOES come with the board if you buy from an authorized dealer and you tell them you have pre-2011 Burton bindings/compatible bindings. A different kit is provided if you have pre-2011 est bindings.

In Dan’s case, he should check if his nideckers accept the Burton ICS plates. If they do, then he will be either given the M6 kit when he purchases the custom fv or he will have to spend 9.95$ in the states to buy one.

If you want some of the discs just me know dan, I’ve got some at home from my previous board which was ICS and can easily just throw them in my board bag to bring them over.

I’m looking at bindings myself, and you know what would be cheaper than the cartels? the cobrasharks. I tested them last season and they were fine.
I think I’m going to get the malavitas and might pick up either a 2nd pair of malavitas or get the cobrasharks

I want Malavita ESTs for the Joystick I just bought; tested the Malavitas last year and loved them.

Yeah, the cobrashark highbacks are pretty soft. They are winged too, but I didn’t notice them. I rode them on the Burton Stellar so I wasn’t doing much jibbing.
The malavitas are cushier overall though. The fullbed underfoot feels super nice and the getagrip toestrap is great (not as good as union toe straps but pretty close). They both have the same asym ankle strap.

actually, if you want the best value for money, get some union forces (imo they ride better than burtons). Only $200! Why pay $240 for cartels or $260 for malavitas?

I know we don’t exactly see eye to eye on this one Gamblor, but I’m going to put in a good word for the EST bindings. Personally I think they are the way to go with a Burton channel board. I love the extra stance adjustably (angle increments of one degree, and exact heel/toe adjustments). Not having a plastic baseplate under your feet can only be a good thing; I believe it gives better board feel under the feet. Just putting it out there… 

Granted, there are two negative points: they can’t be used on any board other than Burton with the channel, and you are limited to angles of approx 28 degrees or less.

It’s not that I hate EST, it’s just I’m finding out the hard way that EST binders limit you to Burton boards. If you don’t buy many boards or you are sure you’ll be on Burtons for a while then EST is a great option. If I had a channel board I would choose EST bindings over regular bindings (if I had both) just for the aesthetics. For someone buying into it for the first time, it is worth considering the possibility of not having a Burton board in the future. Like I mentioned before, I have co2 est binders, but they are worthless to me now with a lib tech board. When I had them on the fish and malolo, it was heaven though.
My buddy had c60 est on a T6. Sick setup, but he trashed the board. Now he’s looking around and likes the Jones snowboards and Libs, but if he goes for those, he will have to sell his c60’s.

As for adjusting on the fly, I find Burton regular binders with the full footbed are easier to change. EST binders get snow caked into the bolts and it’s really hard to adjust. With the regular ones, you just pop up the fullbed and the bolts are dry underneath. It’s super easy to tweak your angles in between runs.

So, to summarize, EST binders are cool but not essential for the channel, and they since they can only be used on burton boards you’re stuck if you want to switch brands.
Rider, in your case, what if you decide to ride a signal partway through the season? You’ll need new binders.

ps. union contacts give great board feel too.

EDIT: Rider, sorry to be a pain! but I think it’s good to have your viewpoint and mine, and when a BW member goes into a shop to buy bindings they will be able to make an informed choice

There was one thing that annoyed me about my EST bindings.. the little window you had to check the angle you had the binding set at would fog up etc so trying to change on the fly was made pretty difficult in that regard.

One catch with the Malativa’s is if you have boots with the boa on the side that it can foul against them - guys at one track mind mentioned it when I was deciding on my bindings. But having demoed the Malativa’s back in June I was pretty impressed, brilliant support with the asym strap and winged highback but with my pants being a bit ripped around the bottom they’d always get caught when pulling my foot out as I ride with my pants over the highback - minor issue I know and won’t be once I get some new pants..

I’m ditching my ride EX bindings, moving my beta’s to my K2 WWW since I was stoked with how that combo went so will be shopping for some new bindings for the YES when I get to whis, not too sure what to look at to be honest though. Used to love the softer EX’s but after riding more with the slightly stiffer beta’s I’m starting to really enjoy a stiffer binding.

I’m finding out the hard way that EST binders limit you to Burton boards. If you don’t buy many boards or you are sure you’ll be on Burtons for a while then EST is a great option.

Worth mentioning again, both good points.

Rider, in your case, what if you decide to ride a signal partway through the season? You’ll need new binders.

Valid point. If I didn’t have a set of regular bindings, I would not invest in ESTs. If you want to ride lots of different boards, it’s essential to have regular bindings.

EDIT: Rider, sorry to be a pain! but I think it’s good to have your viewpoint and mine, and when a BW member goes into a shop to buy bindings they will be able to make an informed choice

Not at all! You make a perfectly good argument, and that’s what this forum is all about. All the information is there, Dan can make an informed choice.  cool smile

Finney, the non-est malavita does not have the winged highback, so no pants catching to be had

Gamblor - 12 October 2010 05:46 AM

Finney, the non-est malavita does not have the winged highback, so no pants catching to be had

Cheers for that Gamblor, I’ll keep that in mind for when I’m buying since the ones I rode were on a custom FV

Hey sorry for the late reply here fellas! Been getting sorted in Whistler and there’s been heaps to do. All going smoothly though. Short term and long term accommodation is sorted smile

Hehehe I gave in and have decided to get an all new set up (wont get my old bindings and boots sent here anymore). I think it will be more cost effective anyway. I believe this was your original advice Jeremy way back when I was looking at postage options wink

As I was busy (and still don’t have my own computer, ordered one though) I didnt get to check all the heaps usefull comments on this thread before buying my bindings. So anyway I got the Mission EST (2010) for $150 (+ crappy extra CAD taxes!!) at the last day of the Turkey sale in Whistler. I actually wanted to get the Cartels (which did look better) for $50 more but they had run out of L. I saw some Cartels for even cheaper now, but kinda too late. A dude at one of the shops was saying to connect my bindings to the latest burton boards I’ll need to buy some 2010 hardware as they changed the length of the bolts for 2011(sneaky!).

I saw a sweet deal at one of the shops on the Burton Ion 2010 boots so will go see how they fit.