The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Impact shorts/tailbone protectors: Do they do what they claim to do?

grunge - 07 September 2014 08:18 PM

You guys crack me up, you’re meant to eat the natto not smell it. wink

Great for breakfast with raw eggs and soy… Maybe I should incorporate it into my breakfast from the local Japanese shop. I kinda miss it.

Plus, if you think natto smells bad…. you haven’t tried durian yet.. LOL…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian#Flavour_and_odour

Natto us gross!!!!! sick

Mizu Kuma - 07 September 2014 08:04 PM

Yeah mate, even before I went to Japan my mate (Sapporo Born) gave me some to try!!!!!
Very hard to eat somethin that smells like mouldy socks, and looks like fermented gooey fat!!!!! LOL

Haha I’ve heard it has the texture of snot. I’d still like to give it a shot though!

Mizu Kuma - 07 September 2014 08:07 PM

Lookin at ya home preserves makes me want some sauerkraut though!!!!!
Are ya any good at makin a Schweinshaxe but????? drool

Hah mate I’m obsessed with home made sauerkraut now its almost like a treat, before this I only ever had it as a side in german restaurants or on hotdogs!

Consider making yourself some it’s really easy only ingredients are cabbage, salt and time. The end result is better than store bought stuff and is filled with healthy goodness that is usually killed during canning/bottling. Just be aware that you are best off having it cold or luke warm as heating it up kills off all the good bacteria (though maintains the vitamins/nutrients of fermented cabbage)

Ahh man now I’m going to have to source some pastured ham hocks. Schweinshaxe is a go to meal of mine at the lowenbrau drool

If ya ever in Bowral, go to Wolfgang’s and try his pork knuckle!!!!!

I rate it as the best I’ve had!!!!!

I’m gonna have to give the sauerkraut a go!!!!! What’s ya recipe?????

Mizu Kuma - 07 September 2014 08:54 PM

I’m actually down there on Friday for a wedding! Even with my appetite I’m not sure I can knock over a pork knuckle and a wedding feast + drinks LOL

Good man, with your culinary skills I’m sure you’ll manage with super complex sauerkraut making! tongue wink

I kind of wing it without a recipe each time so I’ll go through the basic method off the top of my head hopefully I don’t poison you all:

1: Buy yourself a nice fresh cabbage (organic is better blah blah)
2: Take off the other leaves (keep one to the side)
3: Shred the cabbage into nice thin strips.
4: Load the cut cabbage into a nice big bowl and add some course salt usually around 2-3tbsp for a medium cabbage (non iodised course sea salt or himalayan rock salt)
5: Let it sit for a while then start massaging/squeezing the cabbage for 10mins or so, do it in batches if needed (the texture of the cabbage will change and it will release it’s liquid brine the more of this you get out the better)
6: Once you have finished massaging all of the shredded cabbage and got it nice and moist pack it tightly into a clean glass jar.
7: Put that spare outer leaf you kept over the top of the cabbage and if you want weigh it down (so all of the cabbage is submerged in liquid) with something like a smaller glass jar.
8: Seal the jar with a lid and store the jar in a room temperature dark place (if you ferment other stuff keep some distance between them).
9: Leave it there for at least 3 weeks (this changes depending on the temperature in the house and how big your batch is but it needs time to go through all the stages of growth) you may get some pressure build up and leaking of juices so I put the jar in a big bowl to start off with. You’ll notice the colour change and hopefully some bubbling. The cabbage will hopefully stay submerged the whole time if not you may need to press it down with the jar a few times to prevent any mould growing. When you think it might be ready give it a taste. It should have the familiar “sour” taste to it and no longer taste/smell “cabbagey”. If it’s not ready yet seal it back up and leave it another week and test again.
10: If it tastes how you like move it to the fridge.
11: Enjoy with reckless abandon (actually no not too much to start with as your guts may need some adjustment time to the flood of probiotics a daily serve is many times more potent than a yakult or inner health plus)

Mizu Kuma - 07 September 2014 08:54 PM

Yes…please share.  I’ve been buying it up until now.
It’s a gradual thing transitioning to being a food/nutrition geek.  Especially when the family refer to it as Mums Witchcraft!! LOL

Pretty much it’s been a search (mostly online because everyone I talk to pooh poohs it) to find the foods that will get me off meds and bring back resilient health.  Also to support the family and their health.
I started with Paleo, incorporated the bulletproof programme and am now tweaking it to suit me and mine.

Thanks for the K2 link.
I’ve tried to buy it locally and can’t get it.  Not even from the Wellness Clinic!

Getting pastured meat has been an adventure!  I’ve found some decent online suppliers of beef, but I’d much rather be able to walk into the butcher an guarantee it’s there - a couple usually have it but one or two cuts only.  My local supermarket is pretty progressive though and they carry a good range of products including quality chicken (oh god you can taste the difference) and even pastured organic pork.  Shame they don’t carry trotters or chicken feet though…

LMB - 07 September 2014 09:12 PM

It’s a gradual thing transitioning to being a food/nutrition geek.  Especially when the family refer to it as Mums Witchcraft!! LOL

Pretty much it’s been a search (mostly online because everyone I talk to pooh poohs it) to find the foods that will get me off meds and bring back resilient health.  Also to support the family and their health.
I started with Paleo, incorporated the bulletproof programme and am now tweaking it to suit me and mine.

Thanks for the K2 link.
I’ve tried to buy it locally and can’t get it.  Not even from the Wellness Clinic!

Getting pastured meat has been an adventure!  I’ve found some decent online suppliers of beef, but I’d much rather be able to walk into the butcher an guarantee it’s there - a couple usually have it but one or two cuts only.  My local supermarket is pretty progressive though and they carry a good range of products including quality chicken (oh god you can taste the difference) and even pastured organic pork.  Shame they don’t carry trotters or chicken feet though…

No worries just posted it above shaka if your store bought stuff is canned/jarred and not kept in the cold section at the store I hate to say it’s just pickled cabbage and all the probiotics would be dead downer definitely make your own so you get all the goodness!

Haha so your a student of Dave Asprey. Not a bad starting point. He get’s a bit biohacky/salesmen for my liking at times but does give out solid advice. I mostly subscribe to the Mark Sisson primal lifestyle and if I really want to get my geek on (and confirm the science adds up and is safe) cross reference with Dr Chris Kressers site.

Yeah I put in an order at iHerb at least once a month. So much cheaper than our health food stores and makes sourcing food items like coconut aminos, grass fed ghee, kelp noodles, unmodified potato starch etc a breeze.

Hot tip for grass fed beef, free range chicken/eggs etc is check out Aldi! I know what you mean about the chicken even my parents have switched over as they could taste the difference and preferred the texture. Make sure you vary your sources of protein and if anything go more for the bigger 4 legged animals and seafood over chicken as it has a pretty high O6 ratio.

Hah yeah I have to resort to “asian” chicken shops for my feet/necks. Suspect they are conventionally farmed though so always skim the fat from the broth after cooling it (the bad stuff in conventionally farmed animals is stored in the fat, the bones are the same as pastured/free range)

drc13 - 07 September 2014 09:27 PM
LMB - 07 September 2014 09:12 PM

Thanks for the K2 link.

No worries just posted it above shaka if your store bought stuff is canned/jarred and not kept in the cold section at the store I hate to say it’s just pickled cabbage and all the probiotics would be dead downer definitely make your own so you get all the goodness!

Haha so your a student of Dave Asprey. Not a bad starting point. He get’s a bit biohacky/salesmen for my liking at times but does give out solid advice. I mostly subscribe to the Mark Sisson primal lifestyle and if I really want to get my geek on (and confirm the science adds up and is safe) cross reference with Dr Chris Kressers site.

Yeah I put in an order at iHerb at least once a month. So much cheaper than our health food stores and makes sourcing food items like coconut aminos, grass fed ghee, kelp noodles, unmodified potato starch etc a breeze.

Hot tip for grass fed beef, free range chicken/eggs etc is check out Aldi! I know what you mean about the chicken even my parents have switched over as they could taste the difference and preferred the texture. Make sure you vary your sources of protein and if anything go more for the bigger 4 legged animals and seafood over chicken as it has a pretty high O6 ratio.

Hah yeah I have to resort to “asian” chicken shops for my feet/necks. Suspect they are conventionally farmed though so always skim the fat from the broth after cooling it (the bad stuff in conventionally farmed animals is stored in the fat, the bones are the same as pastured/free range)

Well that’s scary!!
I’m on Chris Kressers mailing list. LOL

Dave’s got some good stuff.  Part of the issue I have with lupus is the lethargy - bulletproof coffee (either brain octane or regular MCT oil) and the CILTEP nootropic stack have helped in that regard.  But there’s some stuff I’m just not into.

Just placed an order at iherb…of course I couldn’t stop at one bottle of one product… You might see me on border security before long.  Love that they won’t let you import Hemp Oil and I bought a bottle at the local last week!!! Hahahaha!

Seriously?! Have we just hijacked the impact pants thread with foodie talk?!

LMB - 07 September 2014 09:46 PM

Well that’s scary!!
I’m on Chris Kressers mailing list. LOL
Dave’s got some good stuff.  Part of the issue I have with lupus is the lethargy - bulletproof coffee (either brain octane or regular MCT oil) and the CILTEP nootropic stack have helped in that regard.  But there’s some stuff I’m just not into.
Just placed an order at iherb…of course I couldn’t stop at one bottle of one product… You might see me on border security before long.  Love that they won’t let you import Hemp Oil and I bought a bottle at the local last week!!! Hahahaha!
Seriously?! Have we just hijacked the impact pants thread with foodie talk?!

Haha well at least we know we are looking in the right places!

Ahh interesting I meant to ask if you were doing BP coffee. I don’t drink coffee so haven’t tried it but have considered trying BP Cocoa. FYI you can also get MCT at iherb!

I’ve found I’ve slipped into natural intermittent fasting, I’m just not hungry in the mornings anymore (For the past 10+ years I’d have my “healthy” giant bowl of oats or weetbix) so usually end up with a big cup of bone broth with a poached egg most mornings.

Haha I have the same issue at iherb I often go to order 1 item and then feel the need to justify the upgrade to the DHL shipping (which is super quick) so before I know it I add more and more items, fortunately most things I’ve got from there have been winners. Be sure to check out the “samples” section next time you can occasionaly pick up a knick knack for next to nothing.

Yep massive hijack. I’d like to continue this conversation so maybe we can head to the food thread or something like that. I’m not a mod in this subforum so can’t move our existing posts but I’m all for it if jez or k2 see this!

Where’s that night gone, F1’s are starting so time for me to log off.

Enjoyed the chat though!

Great for breakfast with raw eggs and soy… Maybe I should incorporate it into my breakfast from the local Japanese shop. I kinda miss it.

I haven’t tried durian yet as I’ve never been able to get close enough due to the smell! My grandma brought it into the house one day and I swear it smelt like someone had let off a million fart bombs in the house. I also saw a lot of it during our trip to Malaysia but again I had no interest in trying due to the smell. Apparently it’s pretty tasty though?

rider26 - 08 September 2014 10:12 AM

I haven’t tried durian yet as I’ve never been able to get close enough due to the smell! My grandma brought it into the house one day and I swear it smelt like someone had let off a million fart bombs in the house. I also saw a lot of it during our trip to Malaysia but again I had no interest in trying due to the smell. Apparently it’s pretty tasty though?

LOL love that the bossman has joined in on our off topic banter!

I’m not fussed either way Jez but if you feel the need to move the posts between Myself/LMB/Mizu/Grunge to a food related thread go for it. Pretty sure we answered the impact short questions before hand but wouldn’t want anyone to miss out on my sauerkraut recipe!! LOL

Hahaha!

Probably best if you start a new thread dedicated to the food/recipe stuff in health and fitness and drop the link here. I think some of the food chat still has some relevance in this thread. Thoughts?

I can split this thread if you can’t be bothered starting a new thread from scratch. Let me know.

Hah nah mate all good by me as long as I can still get my primal/nutrient geek on with LMB and see what goodies Mizu produces in the kitchen I don’t care where the posts are!  thumbsup

Bringing it back around yep a lot of the stuff we mentioned would be great for tailbone repair i.e bone broth, k2 etc so get on it unremarkable shaka

LMB meet Dave… Dave meet LMB..

LMB I wonder what the reaction to Bulletproof Coffee would be on here?

More food chat here! https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/6486/P300/

Oh and Dave… ahhh I remember that injury too well (and the subsequent posts on here!) - sorry but LOL

ozgirl - 08 September 2014 01:23 PM

LMB meet Dave… Dave meet LMB..

LMB I wonder what the reaction to Bulletproof Coffee would be on here?

More food chat here! https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/6486/P300/

Oh and Dave… ahhh I remember that injury too well (and the subsequent posts on here!) - sorry but LOL

Bit rude that you didn’t introduce us earlier Kim! As you can see we had a pretty massive Sunday night! LOL

Yeah good luck explaining BP coffee, where would you start? fats are good, carbs are bad, aids in ketosis… Personally I think BP coffee plays a role but I’d still rather see a more nutrient dense “meal” encouraged or go all the was and do a full intermittent fast if you want those set of benefits. LMB did mention a specific medical condition though so fantastic to hear it’s helped with that!

Haha oh Kim I can’t even imagine what part of that injury you are recalling?!? I do remember how quick your post was demanding pics as I was typing it up, it was a “crack” up at the time.  cheese  my god did it hurt (and continues to!)

Has this thread gone massively off-topic or am I supposed to stick pickled cabbage down my pants to protect my butt?