The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Base Layer Pants: To Tuck or Fold (or Shant)?

Poll: Tuck, Fold or Shant?
Total Votes: 17
Tuck
Fold
Shant

I find this probably the most awkward thing about getting dressed for snowboarding. For the record, I have always folded my base layer pants upwards above the boot, so I don’t have to tuck them in. I get uncomfortable just at the thought of having my base layer pants tucked into my boots, although I know some people do this.

So, do you tuck your pants into your boot or fold them upwards above the boot?

Either way, I find it a bit awkward and it surprises me that this is the norm for snowboarding. A few years ago I came across the “shant” (not to be confused with the shart). To me, this seemed like the obvious solution to a pretty simple problem. The shant is pretty much a 3/4 pant that sits just at the boot line. Super comfortable, no bunching or folding, designed with snowboarding in mind. The question is, how many of you actually wear shants? If not, do you tuck or fold?

I usually tuck it in, but through out the day sometimes it becomes a shant.

Shant.

Before discovering the shant I would just pull them up above the boot line rather than fold.
My first pair of ‘shants’ were a pair of Mons Royale ones, they were great.  Left them in Japan in storage, so for Southern Hemi I’ve been wearing 3/4 wunder unders from Lululemon.  They double as my exercise tights for PT, or as tights under dresses or long tops with knee length boots.  Makes packing for a ski trip easy - multipurpose clothing smile

Also makes car park changing a bit more comfortable as you don’t feel like you are standing around in your underwear wink

I’m a tucker and put my socks over the top of the layer.

im a tucker too, its never been an issue for me, but id still shant up given the opportunity

I think I tuck….. coz this is how I base up:

1) undies
2) base layer top
3) base layer legs, tuck top into legs waistband
4) Socks over base layer legs
5) ??????
6) PROFIT!!!!

Am I a bit of a weirdo having never needed base layers for snow pants? I just pull my socks up to just under my knees and my impact shorts (lycra type material) end just above my knee and I rarely get cold.

Where I do stuggle in recent times is keeping a warm lower body off the mountain. I’ve got a few pairs of uniqlo pants which are fantastic (wind proof and fleece lined) but sometimes I just want to wear chinos or jeans but find the cold just goes straight through them.

I’ve recently picked up some icebreaker 260 weight thermals which help a little but are still not as good as the trusty uniqlos.

Wow, most of you are tuckers! Don’t you find it gets uncomfortable in your boots?

Would you wear shants if there was a good quality option? I’m going to try get some into our store for next season. There’s some good options I’m looking into.

I pull my leggings on after putting my socks on. Never been a issue with them making it uncomfortable or riding up/bunching.

I have worn my gym leggings once or twice this season, since they are 3/4 leg. Perfect.

Socks first - Skins second.

I then debate where to tuck the top layers… Under skins or between skins/ outter pants?

rider26 - 08 September 2014 01:47 PM

Would you wear shants if there was a good quality option?

Prob not!

I will continue to wear Skins and even then I have debated about 3/4 ones or not but i get muscle fatigue in my calf’s too so full length Skins it is!

I just pull my compression dacks up higher than the boot.

I often catch the kids tucking the built-in gators in their pants into their boots.  I can’t imagine how uncomfortable that would be.

It doesn’t get uncomfortable with the tuck in for me. I only use one layer thermal and my underpants on the outside like superman.

Depends for me. If im wearing thermals (polypro or merino) i will pull them out and they just sit scrunched above my boot or folded up to the knee. This is because they bunch up in the boot creating folds and i have had some nasty deep sores and bruises after one day of riding like this.
Now unless its a bloody FREEZING day, ill just wear my Aldi thermal compression leggings. They are quite thin but keep me plenty warm. Because they are so thin and sit flush to my skin, i dont notice them under my BW socks and just leave them in the boot.

I guess the question remains… what do you guys think of shants? Personally, I think they are great. Any interest in them from you guys? I’m trying to gauge interest for the store next season.

I’d be keen to try a pair. I think i would wear them in most conditions i ride in. The BW socks keep my feet and lower leg warm enough. And they come up high to the knee so would be able to pull over the Shant to avoid gaps.

Give me a pair to trial smirk

if they end up in the store i will most likely buy a pair