The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Impact shorts/tailbone protectors: Do they do what they claim to do?

Hi all. I hope you’re doing well.

I recently broke my tailbone in New Zealand and despite my plans to get the broken piece of bone removed I’ve been convinced by my doctor and friends to leave it and let it heal. Problem being, tailbones take a long time. I’m off to Austria in December with the soon to be wifey and am pretty keen on the idea of a bit of extra protection. So, my question is; Who has/does use impact shorts/tailbone protectors and what are your thoughts on them? All input will be appreciated grin

I wear them, not a real heavy duty pair but they do save my behind from full blown rail fury, highly recommend, i dont even feel them

I don’t use em but 2 of my friends swear by em (a guy and a girl).

When I first went to NZ and was still a noob, I kept falling on my tailbone and after a while it got very painful to sit on. I ended up buying a pair of those shorts with the 3DO on it on the tailbone and it definitely helped, and this was half way on the 10 day trip, too…

Yep I always wear a pair of impact shorts (skeletools) after doing some pretty serious damage to my ass a few years back.

They don’t do much for impacts on the muscle/soft tissue (flat landings still hurt!) fortunately I haven’t had a serious slam on the tailbone since but I’d imagine it would still hurt but a lot less than without!

Thanks for your replies. I don’t regularly fall on my arse, I’ve never had a problem with it before but now that I’ve broken it it’s going to break easier if I land on it again. Plus December isn’t that far away. Any brands anyone can recommend? Particularly for tailbone protection, not so much anything else

unremarkable - 07 September 2014 04:23 PM

Thanks for your replies. I don’t regularly fall on my arse, I’ve never had a problem with it before but now that I’ve broken it it’s going to break easier if I land on it again. Plus December isn’t that far away. Any brands anyone can recommend? Particularly for tailbone protection, not so much anything else

You’re smart to be protecting your tailbone so soon after an injury.  Bones ‘heal’ in a few weeks but depending on the site and injury it can be 6 months to a year (or more) before they are back to full strength.

Go for it with some impact shorts or a spine protector that extends to the tailbone but I’d recommend also taking supplements for bone strength between now and then.  I’m having good results from bone broth (homemade chicken stock drunk as a tea), large doses of D3, calcium and magnesium.  There’s quite a few other supplements that are known to support bone repair or strong bones, but these are enough to see me rattling wink

I’ll be wearing a wrist guard on my left arm in December - to be sure, to be sure.  Otherwise I’d be cautious, and I’ve lost enough good riding time being cautious while it’s been in a cast smile  Even if the shorts are a placebo for confidence, it’s worth it.

I wonder if that consume that ya get on JAL flights is good for ya bones?????

I could drink that stuff everyday!!!!! drool

Any brands anyone can recommend? Particularly for tailbone protection, not so much anything else

For complete barebones tailpad protection you could go something like the azzpad.

As I mentioned earlier I use skeletools (after a bunch of researching they seemed to be the pick) I only have the ass pad in and have removed all the other pads.

LMB - 07 September 2014 05:22 PM

Go for it with some impact shorts or a spine protector that extends to the tailbone but I’d recommend also taking supplements for bone strength between now and then.  I’m having good results from bone broth (homemade chicken stock drunk as a tea), large doses of D3, calcium and magnesium.  There’s quite a few other supplements that are known to support bone repair or strong bones, but these are enough to see me rattling wink

Haha yay to bone broth! You probably understand the joy of having it gel after a night in the fridge! LOL

Just a heads up that if you are supplementing with D3 and calcium you really should also be taking K2* to reduce calcification of the arteries. I agree though nearly everyone should be supplementing with D3 (during winter at least) and Magnesium (as well as A, C, Iodine and Selenium IMO)

*unless you eat a lot of Japanese Natto which has loads of K2 in M7 form.

drc13 - 07 September 2014 06:22 PM

Any brands anyone can recommend? Particularly for tailbone protection, not so much anything else

For complete barebones tailpad protection you could go something like the azzpad.

As I mentioned earlier I use skeletools (after a bunch of researching they seemed to be the pick) I only have the ass pad in and have removed all the other pads.

LMB - 07 September 2014 05:22 PM

Just a heads up that if you are supplementing with D3 and calcium you really should also be taking K2* to reduce calcification of the arteries. I agree though nearly everyone should be supplementing with D3 (during winter at least) and Magnesium (as well as A, C, Iodine and Selenium IMO)

*unless you eat a lot of Japanese Natto which has loads of K2 in M7 form.

DRC ... Rocking some knowledge there dude! smile
I’ve actually had trouble getting K2 ... Fair amount in bone broth, also eat eggs, chicken and sauerkraut/fermented veg to try and up the levels, although I’d be happier supplementing!  I take a fair bit of d3 (managing lupus so I avoid the sun in summer as well as winter).

LMB - 07 September 2014 06:36 PM

I’ve actually had trouble getting K2 ... Fair amount in bone broth, also eat eggs, chicken and sauerkraut/fermented veg to try and up the levels, although I’d be happier supplementing!  I take a fair bit of d3 (managing lupus so I avoid the sun in summer as well as winter).

Haha yay another food/health geek now you’ve got me started! Think I was editing my original post to mention the bone broth when you posted. I’m just preparing dinner but I’ll get back to you when I’m done as I have a few things to add thumbsup

You’d eat Natto, Dave????? sick

LMB - 07 September 2014 06:36 PM

Sorry to derail the thread Unremarkable, if you need more advice with the impact shorts yell out!

In general I really prefer to get all my nutrients via whole food eating (I use kelp for iodine and brazil nuts for sellenium) but the ones I listed above are really hard to get the required dosage naturally (haven’t started on grass fed liver yet) I have to make a full pressure cooker pot of bone broth every week as I have a big cup every day. Still getting used to the site of chickens feet though…

K2 doesn’t seem to be that well known yet but could very well be one of the most important supps out there (along with D3) This is the one I went with http://www.iherb.com/life-extension-super-k-with-advanced-k2-complex-90-softgels/46675?rcode=bvb089

It’s a K complex (you probably get plenty of K from greens but the good bit is it comes with a good dosage of both forms of K2) iherb should be able to ship it to you for $4.

If you’d rather go the whole foods method fermented natto is #1 by far but I’ve heard it is nearly unpalatable. If dairy works for you a couple of fermented cheeses have some K2 content the best being Brie and Gouda.

Good to find another fermenter. The more research I do the more I believe in gut health playing a major roll hence probiotics and prebiotics are really important. My cupboards and fridge are rapidly filling with misterious glass jars LOL I currently have a cycle of Sauerkraut, fermented carrots and Kombucha. The jar the sauerkraut is in is 3.8L I go through it scarily quickly!

Now just as important if not more is prebiotics (essentially food for the probiotics in your gut so they can grow and conquer). Have you been experimenting with them yet? I’ve been getting my resistant starch via supplementing with raw potato starch as well as cooked then cooled potatoes.

Worth looking into if you haven’t already for overall health.

Sorry if I’ve kind of just waffled on at the slightest sign of interest but it’s nice to be able to geek out on stuff that most people will glaze over on!  tongue wink

Mizu Kuma - 07 September 2014 07:09 PM

You’d eat Natto, Dave????? sick

I’ve never actually knowingly seen it mate. I’m generally willing to try everything once but I have heard it’s pretty horrible both texture/smell/taste wise so would probably stick to my tiny pill or eat lots of cheese LOL

Have you come across it?

Yeah mate, even before I went to Japan my mate (Sapporo Born) gave me some to try!!!!!

Very hard to eat somethin that smells like mouldy socks, and looks like fermented gooey fat!!!!! LOL

Lookin at ya home preserves makes me want some sauerkraut though!!!!!

Are ya any good at makin a Schweinshaxe but????? drool

You guys crack me up, you’re meant to eat the natto not smell it. wink

Great for breakfast with raw eggs and soy… Maybe I should incorporate it into my breakfast from the local Japanese shop. I kinda miss it.

Plus, if you think natto smells bad…. you haven’t tried durian yet.. LOL…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian#Flavour_and_odour