The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Pirates of the Internet - Blocked!! 

Any of you that keep tabs on the news and current affairs will have seen in the media recently that the Telco’s/ISP are backing a government proposal to block piracy websites such as thepiratebay.com and kickasstorrents.com etc.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/telcos-back-internet-piracy-crackdown-20140830-10a8i9.html

I for one think this is deadset ludicrous.  Downloaders and hackers will always find an alternative way to get illegal content, a VPN client maybe??  Australia has the largest number of internet pirates when it comes the smash hit Game of Thrones, or so they say?? Thousands of people may now be forced to pay through the nose for premium TV shows and movies such as this. If there wasn’t such a massive charge on Foxtel or the iTunes store for good viewing I’m sure more people would be willing to pay for TV and movies.

I think the money that will be funded for this saga could be better spent on things like getting Netflix in Australia to slow the illegal download rate rather than trying to block it altogether. Look what Spotify did to music piracy. I now pay 12 bones a month for unlimited music.. Id sure as hell pay that for likes of Netflix and or Hulu.

Thoughts?? smile

Australia pirated GOT more than anywhere in the world because it was exclusive to Foxtel… and a lot of people just refused to subscribe for that reason. Not saying this is right or wrong, just commenting on the fact.

People will always find a way to get what they want. Hackers/pirates are always one step ahead of authorities. Remember when they shut down Napster? wink

Ha! Napster.. I think that was the first p2p sharing app i ever used back in the 99/00.

But yup you’re right Jeremy. The pirates will always be one step ahead of the authorities.

I’ve got no problem with it really!!!!!

After all, we’d probably do the same if our invention/talent/ideas were bein stolen?????

Maybe shows like GOT would be cheaper for the mainstream if everyone paid?????

Valid point smile

surferguy56 - 03 September 2014 05:03 PM

Ha! Napster.. I think that was the first p2p sharing app i ever used back in the 99/00.

But yup you’re right Jeremy. The pirates will always be one step ahead of the authorities.

Haha Napster!!  I used to use IRC back in the day!! Still chat on it now!! 

Also one word…  Proxy!  (I’ve used them before to watch blocked YouTube videos etc..)  lol!

- on mizus point..  I’d rather pay a monthly free and have unlimited downloads… (I do this for the music on my phone… I pay $11 a month for as many songs as I want…)

aslong as i have access to the continued FAPPENING saga, ill be happy

^^ what he said.

I think the main problem with this anti Piracy stuff, is that a pirated copy is very rarely an actual lost sale. to the point where piracy can actually be good for the industries effected. because people try before they can buy, I know with games everyone I know if they ever pirate a game, if they find it enjoyable enough they will go and buy a copy to help the developers. same goes for DVD’s

I think GOT was just pirated so much because it was otherwise unavailable to many, so no one can complain there are no lost sales and many people went on to enjoy the show enough to buy Merch and DVD’s etc…

TL;DR, stopping piracy won’t help anyone. only piss off consumers, who will have to pay out of the ass to buy things, and because of such will be more wise with their money, It’s not like all of a sudden people will have spare cash to buy everything that they want to see.

Piracy is essentially best seen as try before you buy. Maybe get rid of it once there is an actual proper way to see if things are worth your money before spending other than piracy. (most things don’t have demo’s etc…)

trentradpants - 03 September 2014 07:27 PM

I lost my fappening sources…

hook me up?

deanobruce - 03 September 2014 09:40 PM

I lost my fappening sources…

hook me up?

there may or may not be a subreddit of that very name.. *hint hint* *nudge nudge*
and the top torrent on the pirate bay…
pretty much the whole of the internet

Yeh i had that link on reddit. But it now says its gone?!

Will double check haha

Ohhh got it   rocker

Yeah not something I’m overly concerned about (the methods I use are unlikely to be affected)

But I will echo, piracy often highlights a hole in the market.

Give me something with the convenience/interface/automation of my sabnzbd+sickbeard+couchpotato+htpc+xbmc combo for an affordable price and I’ll happily hand over the money! The fact is at the moment pirating gives us a higher quality product easier and quicker.

Shocked by the lack of boardworlders getting there kit off for #LeakforJLaw LOL

This…

drc13 - 04 September 2014 12:01 PM

The fact is at the moment pirating gives us a higher quality product easier and quicker.

So i will be getting a VPN for sure!

Even if I have to pay for it!

Hola for google chrome can make it seem like you’re in another country to bypass region blocks.

If Australia’s past efforts to block piracy is anything to go by, I’m not worried, there are new sites coming up daily to get things off, even the pirate bay which is one of the biggest has a new domain name like every few weeks.

Australia’s government’s policy of blocking stuff is “Set and Leave it” in most cases.

And I know iiNet and Internode have actively said they won’t be monitoring people’s internet browsing as it’s a breach of privacy.