The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Review: Now IPO Bindings

drc13 - 02 September 2014 12:41 PM

Thanks for the reviews guys.

I have been so close to pulling the trigger on a set of Now Bindings for a while now.

I finally got to ride them again at the shred and have mixed thoughts.

On the Friday I rode Lanox’s setup which was a Capita Horrorscope with Now Selects. I loved how this setup rode it was so playful (probably helped by the capitas soft flex) but what I really noticed was how it really seemed to hook into turns really quickly almost like it had a shortened sidecut radius which after getting used to was fun for getting in quick turns. This type of turning brought back memories of the first time I had demoed Now IPOs a couple of years ago on digitalreavers setup but at the time I had put that down to his NS board.

Unfortunately I was still unable to determine if the difference was due to their boards or the bindings.

Saturday morning I hung around outside Jez’s room before he eventually let me in! I grabbed a shiny set of Now IPOs (believe they are 2015 models thanks for hooking us up Amine) and bolted them to my own board (Rome Reverb)

First thing I noticed is the IPOs were noticeably tighter around my heel (medium bindings with 32 prime boots size 9) they weren’t painful but it did make it tricky strapping in at times and I worried that the heelcup would wear away at the boot.I hadn’t had this issue the day earlier in Lano’s selects.

I rode the IPOs for the day and it was a very natural transition from my bindings (rome 390 boss) but they also didn’t ride significantly differently and certainly didn’t give me the hooky turning response.

Fortunately I’m not desperate for new bindings yet think my next step will be to try to get my hands on some selects and see how I go for heel fit/turning response on my board again.

Now bindings are generally tighter in the heelcup by design. I’m not arguing one way or another for it, just confirming your thoughts. Maybe Amine can fill us in a bit more on this.

I must say that I find it harder noticing the skate-tech-influenced performance benefits when riding softer, slushy snow—which we did have for much of the shred. Where I really notice the benefits is when I can lay down a harder edge. As you know per our “lesson” we were trying to be as loose as possible and be gentle on our edges; you’re not really going to notice the benefits as much in that situation. Get onto some fresh, fast groomers and you will feel it immediately.

Hey guys - stoked we could get some demo YES & NOW products to you use at The Shred.  Hopefully next year I can actually attend the event with everyone!

For sure the NOW bindings will feel a little tighter in the heel than your other bindings.  And there is actually a few reasons for this…..
1. with NOW bindings your boot contacts the baseplate 100% (which other bindings your boot contacts the high back - which is obviously a way softer material than the baseplate) so its definitely a firmer feeling than maybe you are used to.
2. our NOW baseplates (we actually call then ‘hangers’) are slightly ‘thinner’ in the heel cup than your other bindings - again, this grips the boot better & gives a superior performance energy transfer
3. our NOW baseplate is also higher (both laterally & at the rear) than your other bindings, which will certainly feel more noticeable against the boot, but again, this gives it a superior energy transfer to the board

And don’t worry, this type of feedback can be quite common from people whose boots are a little chunky in the heel area, but what we find is that this extra feeling of support in the heel is something you certainly get used to after a few days of riding.  And more importantly, once you’ve ridden NOW for a few days, and then you go back to riding regular bindings, you will certainly notice the difference in response between the two!

....I recently watched a video of JF Pelchat (owner/founder of Now & All Round Ruler) and he said that the extra response of the NOW bindings is very noticeable for people who are charging around, and a lot more subtle for the people who are cruising around.  And this is something I certainly agree with.  When Im cruising, or when its slushy, I don’t notice the response benefits of ‘skate tech’ nearly as much as I do when I am charging around.  ...hope this info helps!

rider26 - 02 September 2014 03:22 PM
drc13 - 02 September 2014 12:41 PM

Thanks for the reviews guys.

I have been so close to pulling the trigger on a set of Now Bindings for a while now.

I finally got to ride them again at the shred and have mixed thoughts.

On the Friday I rode Lanox’s setup which was a Capita Horrorscope with Now Selects. I loved how this setup rode it was so playful (probably helped by the capitas soft flex) but what I really noticed was how it really seemed to hook into turns really quickly almost like it had a shortened sidecut radius which after getting used to was fun for getting in quick turns. This type of turning brought back memories of the first time I had demoed Now IPOs a couple of years ago on digitalreavers setup but at the time I had put that down to his NS board.

Unfortunately I was still unable to determine if the difference was due to their boards or the bindings.

Saturday morning I hung around outside Jez’s room before he eventually let me in! I grabbed a shiny set of Now IPOs (believe they are 2015 models thanks for hooking us up Amine) and bolted them to my own board (Rome Reverb)

First thing I noticed is the IPOs were noticeably tighter around my heel (medium bindings with 32 prime boots size 9) they weren’t painful but it did make it tricky strapping in at times and I worried that the heelcup would wear away at the boot.I hadn’t had this issue the day earlier in Lano’s selects.

I rode the IPOs for the day and it was a very natural transition from my bindings (rome 390 boss) but they also didn’t ride significantly differently and certainly didn’t give me the hooky turning response.

Fortunately I’m not desperate for new bindings yet think my next step will be to try to get my hands on some selects and see how I go for heel fit/turning response on my board again.

Now bindings are generally tighter in the heelcup by design. I’m not arguing one way or another for it, just confirming your thoughts. Maybe Amine can fill us in a bit more on this.

I must say that I find it harder noticing the skate-tech-influenced performance benefits when riding softer, slushy snow—which we did have for much of the shred. Where I really notice the benefits is when I can lay down a harder edge. As you know per our “lesson” we were trying to be as loose as possible and be gentle on our edges; you’re not really going to notice the benefits as much in that situation. Get onto some fresh, fast groomers and you will feel it immediately.

Ill totally agree on the bindings having a much tighter heel cup than what im used too, i did have a brand new pair of nike kaiju’s that fitted in quite snug to the heel cup. (awesome combo) also i didnt really get to feel the benefit of the skate tech or “hanger” in the slushy conditions.

Ill be interested to see how they react in powder when i hit japan in Jan!? Maybe Jeremy can answer this one for me?

Rock on NOW!! wink

Dude, put those lowback on your Selects and surf the pow! I’ve only had a couple of days in powder with the IPOs but it was epic. You get a much more natural feel under your feet. I’m very keen to hear what you think after you test them in Japan. I would love to test the Selects with the lowbacks in powder when I get the chance.

rider26 - 02 September 2014 04:36 PM

Dude, put those lowback on your Selects and surf the pow! I’ve only had a couple of days in powder with the IPOs but it was epic. You get a much more natural feel under your feet. I’m very keen to hear what you think after you test them in Japan. I would love to test the Selects with the lowbacks in powder when I get the chance.

Oh hurry up December!
I wanna do a test drive!

rider26 - 02 September 2014 04:36 PM

If by Selects you mean IPO?? Ok then!  flushed

That’s right, you got the IPO. We were bindings twins haha! My bad. raspberry

Either way, they should ride like a dream in the pow. Let me know how it goes!

rider26 - 02 September 2014 05:24 PM

That’s right, you got the IPO. We were bindings twins haha! My bad. raspberry

Either way, they should ride like a dream in the pow. Let me know how it goes!

Binding AND Pant twins… DOH!  teacherboy

I had them first!  cool mad

Now now, you two!!!!!

LOL

My parrot is bigger.  smirk

amine - 02 September 2014 03:42 PM

For sure the NOW bindings will feel a little tighter in the heel than your other bindings.  And there is actually a few reasons for this…..

Thanks amine! Is there any reason why the selects didn’t have the same tight feeling as the IPO’s? (both mediums)

rider26 - 02 September 2014 03:22 PM

Ok so what you’re saying is I need another “lesson” on some fresh fast groomers while strapped into Now bindings?? Yeah I reckon I could handle that! drool

Yes, that’s exactly what I am saying. thinking

I think you definitely feel the skate influence if you use the white/softest bushings, especially if you’re noodling around, and not trying to charge.