The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Backpack

Am after a recommendation for a backpack to take on the slopes with hydration capability. Currently have an old AK that is about to die.

Have decided I like a bag do not interested in going to stuff in pockets.

Been looking at the dakine helipack 11l and the size is about right but man it’s got lots of crap built in that I don’t need.

Any recommendations ?  Cheers

Dakine is my go to for packs. I’m currently using a Baker 16L but in retrospect could probably have got away with a heli 11.

When I was doing my research the other quality bag was made by osprey.

+1 for Dakine.

I’ve got a Blade 38L backpack for when I start BC stuff, and I’ve been using it for my trips. Very useful and apparently they stand by their products.

It really depends on what you want to use it for.

What are you carrying? Are you going into the backcountry? Do you use a sled in the backcountry?

rider26 - 02 September 2014 10:33 AM

It really depends on what you want to use it for.

What are you carrying? Are you going into the backcountry? Do you use a sled in the backcountry?

No back country. Purely for inside the boundaries, so water, spare layers, bit of food, tools that sort of stuff.

Not sure if I’ve seen the baker over here in NZ

Globe - 02 September 2014 10:40 AM

No back country. Purely for inside the boundaries, so water, spare layers, bit of food, tools that sort of stuff.
Not sure if I’ve seen the baker over here in NZ

That’s pretty much what I lug around with me when I’m on the snow (usually just 1 mid layer in the pack) I reckon you’ll be fine with the 11L.

My 16L allows me to throw a few extra things in (emergency blanket, camera, pole etc) but if I was going full BC I’d step up to something bigger.

drc13 - 02 September 2014 11:04 AM

That’s pretty much what I lug around with me when I’m on the snow (usually just 1 mid layer in the pack) I reckon you’ll be fine with the 11L.

That’s what I figured too. I was hoping I could get a decent bag that didn’t have a gazillion straps and extras like the dakine seem to come with , but I guess they design them like that for a reason so c’est la vie. Cheers

Globe - 02 September 2014 11:39 AM
drc13 - 02 September 2014 11:04 AM

That’s what I figured too. I was hoping I could get a decent bag that didn’t have a gazillion straps and extras like the dakine seem to come with , but I guess they design them like that for a reason so c’est la vie. Cheers

Haven’t had a chance to look through all their range but something like this might suit your needs.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/vertical_endeavors__snowplay/reverb_10?tab=description