The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for advice on a new board…

Dan83 - 03 October 2010 10:41 AM

In your first paragraph you are specifically referring to the Custom flying V, yeah? I am fairly certain my old 163 also had a waist width of about 255. The wide version comes in a 158 and a 162. I think you are right that the 160 should cope with the boots, just. And good point about the boots, with some newer shrinkage ones a wide board would probably be too cumbersome.

Bit of a side question, you mention the board should outlast the boots. How long would you expect a board to last normally? I thought it was about 100-150 days? Do your boots normally last 150 days? Mine are only about 8 days old. Wish they were older I could justify getting new ones more wink

Yeah intermediate / advanced should be ok your right. I guess that’s where I wanna be towards the end of the season anyway.

Have you tried the Custom flying V?

Yeah I was referring to the Custom Flying V.

Generally I trash a pair of boots before I trash a snowboard. It could just be me though; I’m not a heavy rider. Boards tend to be more durable than an average pair of boots. My boots usually last a season (150 days), then they are completely done. Even after a full season on a board, there’s usually still some life left, even if it becomes next season’s rock board. Also I assumed your current boots were older than eight days.

I have not yet tested the Custom Flying V. I tested the 2010 Custom V Rocker, which I quite liked. I think the Flying V would be even better on the Custom’s shape.

Thanks heaps for all the info and tips guys! Much appreciated.

I will definitely get a rocker/camber board. Probably just get the Custom flying V, unless I find a deal too good to resist for one of the others. I think I’ll look to get the 160 version also, should be most versatile. If I find some cheap boots I’ll prob get them too, otherwise I’ll no doubt be due some new ones mid season anyway.

The Custom FV seems to use a different binding set up than the old bolts, is that right? Rules it out then unless I want to fork out for new bindings too!! arghh… Hopefully I’m mistaken.

I’ll partly answer my own question - seems like there is a transition kit which has special discs allowing you to use older bindings. However, all sites I found say its for old ‘burton’ bindings. What about other brands would they still work?

if your bindings right now are burtons then you are ok. Other brands are a crapshoot. Some have made ics discs, many hadn’t as of last year. I think you wrote about it before but I don’t want to go looking. What are you bindings?
BTW it’s not just for the custom fv, it’s for all 2011 burton boards

Mizu Kuma - 09 October 2010 12:08 AM

Depends on the brand of ya binding, Dan!!! I recently got myself a set of Flux’s and they DO make a disc that can be used with ICS!!!

Contact ya local shop that stocks ya brand of binding, or Google the brand name with ICS and ya should find out pretty quick!!!

You can get the ICS baseplates from your local board store or eBay for 20 bucks grin

Oh btw the transition kit comes free with the board apparently, but I’m thinking it is just for Burton bindings.

I popped in ICS and Nidecker (brand of the bindings) in google and there were no matches… lame! So I assume Nidecker don’t have an ICS disc. Before this I just thought all discs would have been much the same and interchangeable…

EST, ICS, whats the difference!?!?!

The Burton Mission and Cartel bindings come with EST, with the Cartels being a bit dearer (so do the Customs but they are maybe a bit soft). I could always get one of these two bindings. Not sure…

ICS - which is now called “The Channel” refers to the board, and the way that the binding will attach to the board.
It is the new design rather than the typical hole pattern seen on other boards.

EST refers to the binding that is made for this channel.
You can get additional info on the pros and cons of this set up from the Burton website.

You dont HAVE to have an EST binging to fit on a board with ICS / The Channel.
If you have a non-EST binding, then you have 2 options.
You can buy an “M6 Transition kit” from your local Burton dealer.
Or, you can call Burton Rider Services and ask them to send you one.
That M6 kit, will allow you to use a normal modern binding with The Channel.

Hope that helps.

Thanks snowslider that clears a lot up.

So in essence you’re saying that the m6 transition kit works then for all older style bindings, not just Burton? That would be nice.

The M6 kit is only for 2011 channel boards. 2010 and earlier channel boards don’t need the M6 kit.

Any binding that uses a standard Burton sized baseplate can be mounted on a channel board. If the board is 2010 or earlier, you just need the standard channel screws and a black retro disc baseplate. If the board is 2011, you need the M6 kit.

Also check out this page: http://www.burton.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Burton_US-Site/default/CustomerService-M6

Any questions, let me know.

Mizu Kuma - 10 October 2010 12:17 AM

I’m pretty sure that the M6 kit only works with Burton Bindings!!!

They will work with any binding that uses the same sized baseplate as the standard Burton baseplate. If the Burton baseplate fits in the binding, you’re good to go.

Dan83 - 09 October 2010 12:04 PM

The Burton Mission and Cartel bindings come with EST, with the Cartels being a bit dearer (so do the Customs but they are maybe a bit soft). I could always get one of these two bindings. Not sure…

Step up to the Cartels if you can afford it. If not, get the Missions.

you usually get an M6 kit thrown in when you buy a 2011 burton board.

and my advice to you is NOT to get EST bindings. If you do, in the future you will only be able to use Burton boards. There is no real ‘feel’ difference between EST and non-est bindings. In fact you get limited angles with EST which sucks if you want to go +28 on your front foot

edit: the toe strap alone is worth upgrading to the cartels.