The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Review: Now IPO Bindings

Hey guys,

I just published my review on the Now IPO bindings which you can read here.

Please feel free to ask me any questions here and I will be more than happy to answer.

Cheers! shaka

yes, i have one question;

Can you hand deliver my NOW Selects’ to Narrabri for me tomorrow so i can play with them?

Hahaha. raspberry

Just wanted to add this info to the thread, as it wasn’t in the review.

I weighed the binding without the disc and it came in at 824 grams. The disc weighs 100 grams.

Now IPO, medium, 2014 model.

rider26 - 09 May 2014 09:22 AM

Hahaha. raspberry

Soooooo thats a yes yeh?!

So after getting a few moar days on my new NOW Selects i feel i can leave a post here.

I am really enjoying these bindings. I wasnt a massive fan of my old bindings (Rome 390 Boss) but they did the job and werent overly shit, jut certain things annoyed me.

A few mates have expressed their disappointment in the NOW’s and i was almost hesitant to give them a go but i thought fuck it and pulled the trigger.

Having not ridden my Rome’s since last season its hard to pinpoint all the differences between them and my NOW’s but i like my NOW’s a hell of a lot more. The response and edge control is killer and they seem at home in the park (Wasnt go all out in the park but getting back into it so was cruising though some of the smaller features)

They really, really, really come into their own on high speed carving runs. Holy shit you can feel them load up on the edges and release when flowing from toe to heel side and vice versa, I was a semi fan of high speed groomer runs before, but now im addicted. Im actually keen as shit to get to rollercoaster on a first tracks day just to bomb that when its not all chopped up.

All in all if you are thinking of trying i would try tee up a demo or just pull the trigger. I did and im more than happy i did!

Thanks, deano.  Can I ask what bushings you are using?

Ummm the ones that where already on them haha,

will go check.

EDIT- The orange ones, medium (50 shore)

i have seen ALOT of ipo’s floating around perisher in the past month and even a few selects. mostly reviews of stoke and recommendation but unfortunately im not one of them, back to rodeo goodness

cheers

DylanV - 30 July 2014 07:18 PM

i have seen ALOT of ipo’s floating around perisher in the past month and even a few selects. mostly reviews of stoke and recommendation but unfortunately im not one of them, back to rodeo goodness

Hey, can I ask what you didn’t like about the ipo’s?

Curious to know I’ve been through a few bindings myself and found that I’m now a hardcore NOW fan.
Can’t wait for the new ‘14-15 model to show up so I can get a pair for the mrs.

Welcome to Boardworld, grunge! Good to see you on here. punch

Hey hey! I had to have a peek at least! =) Looking forward to shredding with you. punch

By the way, I did speak to Dylan about why he didn’t like the IPOs as much as his other bindings. Firstly, he was on the cusp of medium and large. He went with medium but probably should have gone with large given the volume of his boots; the heelcup was a bit too tight and pushed into the side of the boot. It must be noted that Now bindings do have a pretty snug heelcup to begin with.

In regards to performance, he will have to explain that one…

Aaah IC. Being a 10.5 size I was on the cusp too, but Yohann told me to go L instead of M.
Before this I used to go M on my bindings.

As long as there’s no lateral movement it is okay.

I’m curious to know what the ‘not so good’ about NOW’s are and so far what I’ve heard is a slow response and also having snow creep under the bushing/base area stopping it from being effective.

Although I do disagree with it in a technical sense, I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions, which is why there are so many difference brands and bindings in down and no one opinion is invalid.

That being said, I am one of those guys that tend to go against the mainstream/popular. (At least in my head I think I do. LOL!)

The one other thing I’d like to say is that from what I’ve heard and experienced, the distributor backing for NOW is phenomenal.
I broke one of my ankle ladders in Cardrona last year and got it swapped out no questions asked at Outside sports, and I’ve heard that JF has been pretty good with the initial feedback and getting things sorted when the brand first came out.

(Geez, I just realized I sounded like a rep, but in a time where service is a hard find, I really like to give the props where it is deserved.)

Hey grunge - I am the NOW rep (I also distribute YES, JONES, SLASH) and I just wanted to thank you for your kind words about NOW.  I am so stoked that you are stoked on your NOW bindings, and for your reference, there will be some 1314 & 1415 demo bindings at “The Shred” - so please come along and try them.  (If you cant make it, just hit me up on amine(at)rush.net.au and I can certainly arrange you and your lady a demo pair - anytime, anywhere - just give me a few days notice to hook it up).  I plan on attending The Shred, but if my 11 month old daughter highjacks my plans, then I will make sure there are some NOW & YES & JONES & SLASH demo’s there for everyone to play on.  If anyone has specific requests - just hit me up!

———

Hey Dylan - I am sincerely sorry that you did not have a positive NOW experience.  As Jez has pointed out, it could well have been that sizing issue (which does happen to certain boot profiles around the 10 - 10.5 area).  And I should probably also point out that the heelcup of NOW bindings is so much higher than most other bindings on the market, and you obviously sit flush against it versus sitting flush against the flexy highback (which is what you contact in most other bindings) which initially can feel quite a bit more foreign for some people as there will be support in an areas that you are not used to!  This tends to pass for most people a they get used to it, and after a few days of riding NOW bindings and experiencing the increased edge to edge response (& overall smoothness), going back to regular bindings just isn’t an option.    .....that being said, I would be happy to offer you a size/model swap for your NOW bindings to see if we can get you more stoked by using a different pair?  Just let me know, I am more than happy to help.

CHEERS!