The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Cup Discussion Thread

rider26 - 09 July 2014 01:53 PM

Does anyone else think there shouldn’t be a 3rd place playoff game in the World Cup? It’s a tournament. Once you’re beaten in the elimination rounds, that should be it. It’s almost sad for the teams that have to play again after being knocked out in the semis.

Yeah, I’ve never met anyone who supports it. Same questions arise every 4 years, but at the end of the day FIFA makes more money with the extra game. As always with FIFA, that’s all that really matters.

In saying that, the third place match usually brings lots of attacking football and goals. This year is going to be awkward with Brazil involved. I’d be very surprised if the likes of Fred, David Luiz and co take the field.

I don’t mind the 3rd place playoff, as mentioned, its usually a goal-fest.

If I was those brazilians like Luiz etc I’d be raring to get back out on the pitch again and try and make up for that embarrassment with a win.

They definitely missed Silva. Best centre back in the world I think.

cords - 10 July 2014 06:23 AM

I don’t mind the 3rd place playoff, as mentioned, its usually a goal-fest.

If I was those brazilians like Luiz etc I’d be raring to get back out on the pitch again and try and make up for that embarrassment with a win.

They definitely missed Silva. Best centre back in the world I think.

I personally think Hummels is the better CB now, but Thiago is top 3 without doubt. Kompany would round out the 3 for me.

A third place win wouldn’t make up for the embarrassment, nothing really could, but another heavy defeat could be horrible. I have no doubt they would probably want to take the field, I just don’t think they deserve to. Fred has been their worst player of the cup, close to being the most disappointing player of all next to Casillas, and I don’t think he’ll ever play for Brasil again. I could be totally wrong.

I’d love to see the likes of Willian and Bernard make the starting lineup and see Oscar take on a bigger role for this last match. Guys like Rafael and perhaps even Fabio (depending how he recovers/develops) will be staples at the back into the future, and Rafa especially should make the squad for Copa America. 11 of the players from their World Cup squad will be over 30 by the time that rolls around. Big changes ahoy.

Wow, that article was terrible. I feel the same way about FIFA but it seems like he was trying to be funny and completely tanked it.

John Oliver, on the other hand, pretty much sums up how I feel. And he’s actually funny.

walker - 11 July 2014 10:15 AM

Wow, that article was terrible. I feel the same way about FIFA but it seems like he was trying to be funny and completely tanked it.

But thats Bernard to a tee!

Dad humor to the extreme!

John Oliver, on the other hand, pretty much sums up how I feel. And he’s actually funny.

wow that guy is a wanker! I hate when people try too hard to be funny

John Oliver though -  he is great! First time I saw him was his guns/gun laws in Australia bit where he just took the absolute piss out of gun-toting Americans - make sure you check it out if you haven’t see it (i’d post it but Youtube is blocked on my PC)

StamfordKid - 11 July 2014 11:18 AM

wow that guy is a wanker! I hate when people try too hard to be funny

John Oliver though -  he is great! First time I saw him was his guns/gun laws in Australia bit where he just took the absolute piss out of gun-toting Americans - make sure you check it out if you haven’t see it (i’d post it but Youtube is blocked on my PC)

I knew him from the TV show “Community” but the guns video was the first time I seen him in the media. How good is it! Haha. Love his work.

Have a mad crush on John Oliver. So smart,  so funny
His piece on guns nailed it

It was a little sad watching brazil get humbled again, and this time by a depressingly negative and unambitious dutch side.  Why they didn’t play willian and coutinho is beyond me. 

Looking forward to the final I think the germans have been the best team at this world cup but they don’t have any star players so personally i’ll be hoping for messi to play a blinder.

I was happy with how the Dutch played - they played clean soccer, and kept attacking all game.

Oh and Willian did play! and who’s Coutinho?

I’d say the German is full of stars.

Gamblor - 13 July 2014 02:54 PM

and who’s Coutinho?

Who is Coutinho? This is Coutinho!

Aidy - 13 July 2014 09:10 AM

Looking forward to the final I think the germans have been the best team at this world cup but they don’t have any star players so personally i’ll be hoping for messi to play a blinder.

Ozil, Kroos, Muller, Neuer, Hummels and Lahm are some of the best players in the world. Obviously they aren’t superhuman like Messi, but definitely stars. Germany has by far the better side on paper.

If the reports about Di Maria pulling up with another injury are true I’ll be extremely disappointed…I hope he comes to Man Utd next year over PSG too just quietly.

And yes, to say the german team doesn’t have any stars is crazy talk!
Plus they are missing Reus as well!

I’‘ll be happy if Messi can shine and Argentina get the win, but the germans will be very, very hard to beat. I think they’ll come out on top.

Ze GERMANS!!!!!

An entertaining game for a 0-0, there were some great tackles flying about and some good defending. Argies sat very deep, Higuan should have had that goal at the start too! Also the one where they tried to chip the keeper I don’t remember who it was.

Extra time was tense - I was in a pub full of Germans so I was cheering for the,
Great run and cross in from Schurrle, he really had a great world cup and was fantastic off the bench. And of course a great finish for the goal from Gotze. He had now won a world cup, 3 Bundasliga titles and played in a Champions League final, and he is only 22!

Best team of the tournament won IMO