The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Cup Discussion Thread

Man, that’s heartbreaking for Brazil. Great win for them but that foul on Neymar was absolutely brutal. Knee straight into the spine from behind. How was that not carded? I’m pretty bummed as a soccer fan. He was the star player of their team this tournament. I just can’t see them winning without him.

Solid win for the Germans. My prediction of Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, for the final four is looking safe so far.

Alright, here’s my prediction from here…

Argentina beats Germany in the final.

I always thought Brazil or Argentina would win this tournament, and I would have tipped Brazil over Germany, but I just don’t think they will be able to get it done without Neymar and Silva — both huge losses for the team, and they really don’t have much fire power up front without Neymar.

I think Messi can take this one the whole way.

rider26 - 05 July 2014 04:17 PM

Man, that’s heartbreaking for Brazil. Great win for them but that foul on Neymar was absolutely brutal. Knee straight into the spine from behind. How was that not carded? I’m pretty bummed as a soccer fan. He was the star player of their team this tournament. I just can’t see them winning without him.

Solid win for the Germans. My prediction of Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, for the final four is looking safe so far.

Like Les Murray said, the main culprits of hacking in that game were the Brazilians, they went out looking to take down James and Cuadrado and the ref should have carded more of them and earlier. Might have stopped all stupid stuff if he had pulled it up early in the game.

Really sad for Neymar especially as he isn’t a player that ever hacks players but it wasn’t like the guy thought hey Ill go break his back.

Me and my buddy made a bet at the start of the tournament regarding who would win — I picked Germany and he picked Argentina. I’m gonna be stoked if they make the final against each other.

Neymar is a big loss, but Brasil have an unbelievable team and I think they can come out of it on top. Chelsea’s Willian can be devastating in that CAM/wing spot and it looks like they’re going with him as a replacement. Di Maria is out for Argentina which is also disappointing.

How about Van Gaal? Any fellow Man Utd fans on here licking their lips at what he’s done this tournament? Going 5-3-2 against Spain, throwing Dirk Kuyt in as a defender, subbing off RVP for Huntelaar against Mexico and then bringing on Krul at the last second for the penalty shootout today…he’s not afraid to mix it up. Can’t wait for mid August!

Brazil are appealing Silva’s yellow card: http://www.espnfc.com/brazil/story/1935577/brazil-appeal-thiago-silva-yellow-card-in-bid-to-overturn-suspension-for-world-cup-semifinal-with-germany

CRACKERS, I agree with you. It’s just unfortunate it happened. You never want to see a player go down like that.

walker, yeah, that was a masterstroke bringing on fresh keeping legs for the penalty shootout.

Di Maria’s absence will be a big one for Argentina. Messi has a lot on his shoulders but he’s the best player in the world and the best player in the tournament, and I think he can carry them.

I hope that last few games live up to the excitement of the first part of the cup.

Feck I LOVE the world cup!!!!

Germany 5-0 after 30 minutes… wow!

After their loss in the World Cup,the Nigerian captain personally offered to refund all expenses that fans of his country paid for to travel to Brazil.
According to sources close to the player, he just needs their bank details and pin numbers to complete the transactions. ‪Always‬ thinking, those Nigerians.

WOW! German shooting practice really. Brazil a mess!!

make that 6!

7. great finish from Schurrle!

Word is the street parties which view the matches are empty and rioting has begun.. sad..

That was…interesting

Wow… I tuned in at 15min when it was 1-nil Germany. Then the goals just poured in!

From what I saw, Brazil was way too focused on diving. So annoying, they need to get that crap out of the game.

They were an absolute mess at the back. They missed Thiago Silva immensely. It’s crazy how two missing players, albeit their best players, can change the dynamic so much. Silva has been their rock at the back.

Does anyone else think there shouldn’t be a 3rd place playoff game in the World Cup? It’s a tournament. Once you’re beaten in the elimination rounds, that should be it. It’s almost sad for the teams that have to play again after being knocked out in the semis.