The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Cup Discussion Thread

Yep, it was nothing special from Argentina. They played OK but I still felt they deserved the win.

rider26 - 16 June 2014 03:23 PM

I was a Leeds fan too. I say was because I really haven’t followed them since they got relegated. They were great during the glory days!

Back in the days when the had Harry kewell, Mark viduka and Allan Smith! Before they went broke :(

Germany solid - Mueller with a hatty! Pepe = MORON
Will watch the game in full on the replay

Watched the Iran Nigeria game, great game for a 0-0 and lots of attacking chances. Just couldn’t find the net. Thought Nigeria were gonna snatch it late but Iran held on!

USA 1-0 up after a few mins!

8 world cup goals for Muller and he’s only 24…he’ll go close to taking the record by the time he’s done.

Dempsey’s goal was fucking epic! Pure jubilation here in New York. Absolute shame about Jozy but hopefully it’s not as bad as it looks. Should be an interesting second half, plenty of attacking chances for Ghana in the first especially that final play…lucky to still be on top here.

1-1!

hold up! 2-1!! Brooks with a header. 5 mins to go!

I had about 9 heart attacks and my fingernails are gone but they did it…thank god for that.

I hope Jozy is okay…I bet they wish they chose Landon now. I think I’d prefer him there over Johannsson. I thought Bradley had an average game too and they really need him firing against the big teams.

Just watched the replay of Germany vs Portugal. Man, they smashed them! Can’t believe how dumb some players are (Pepe). Head-butting a guy when he is down? Ridiculous. Solid performance from the Germans as I expected.

Stoked to say I had Muller, Lahm and Nauer in my fantasy team, which is currently sitting me in 33rd place in Australia and 170th in the world. grin

The best part of all this is that it shows how football really is the world game. It doesn’t matter what corner of the earth you go to, if you are a football fan, you will find some friends….that is just pure magic to me!

So happy with Germany beating portugal last night. So many people talking shash about Ronaldo being a beast but he’s just a big baby! He doesn’t chase when he loses the ball and looks at himself on the big screen all the time. I don’t have any desire to hate him but what about him is there to like? It feels like if he had a better attitude he would be a much better player….the waste is what gets me!
In fairness, the match would have been much closer I think, but once idiot Pepe executed standard procedure then it was all over for portugal.
We could have been watching Zlatan instead!

Ochoa a beast for Mehico this morning. Brazil again not convincing, both had chances to take the win but I think overall Mexico looked more likely.
As I said before, they need to improve if they are to match the likes of Italy, England, Germany, Netherlands etc.

And far out the refs have had some serious Brazil fever. No consistency at all and even the commentators this morning mentioned it a few times. The Mexican coach was livid, and rightly so.

It seems there is a curse to go 1-0 up as well! Belgium with a great escape - didn’t see them game, will have to wait for the replay.

Ochoa seriously just upped his value by a couple of digits today…incredible performance. I’d love to see him at a big club next year. He had a couple of incredible games in Ligue 1, probably the best match for a keeper this year against PSG…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2TCPEuz_M&feature=kp

Big game tomorrow for the Aussies. Milligan is out with a hamstring tweak so we’ll lose some experience in the middle. Might be a good chance for Holland to step up against Holland…haha.

Thank christ Miligan is out. He is way overrated.
Would much prefer Holland in there.
Another option (which wont happen) would to move Bresc into DM and move Oar into a number 10 role, that’s where he plays for Utrecht and would be more comfortable there, plus more mobile than Bresc. Then move Halloran in out wide for Oar.

in other news, these are my fav “performances” on the world cup so far…

Balotelli’s missus

and of course my future wife, Mel

I’m pulling an all-nighter with the boys tonight for Origin and Socceroos. Going into the city… super excited! grin

Come on, Aussies!

that’s awesome.. I have work tomorrow =(

Will be going to bed at fulltime of origin and up again at 1:50am!
Hopefully can get a quick nap in at half time and then in between the Socceroos and Chile/Spain kickoff

rider26 - 18 June 2014 02:57 PM

I’m pulling an all-nighter with the boys tonight for Origin and Socceroos. Going into the city… super excited! grin

Come on, Aussies!

Damn this sounds good…first time I’ve actually been disappointed with the 1 hour time difference between Brazil and New York haha. Seeing the Blues win origin and then the Aussies upsetting Holland in the one night would be epic. Hope it goes that way!