The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Cup Discussion Thread

I quite enjoyed the Japan v Ivory Coast game. Ivory Coast have some pretty good players on their side (Drogba etc.) will be interesting to see how they go against some of the bigger teams.

Have already warned my manager I might be late to work Thursday from staying up to watch Australia v Holland. I think she thinks I am joking…

USA vs Ghana tomorrow! Can’t wait. Must win for America against their nemesis from the last two cups. Should be a tight match.

I went out and bought Australia and USA jerseys today…I’ve got a definite case of football fever haha. I hope Australia can put up a fight with Holland and Spain. America have it tough too with Germany and Portugal after they play Ghana…can’t wait to see how it all unfolds!

air180 - 16 June 2014 09:56 AM

I quite enjoyed the Japan v Ivory Coast game. Ivory Coast have some pretty good players on their side (Drogba etc.) will be interesting to see how they go against some of the bigger teams.

Have already warned my manager I might be late to work Thursday from staying up to watch Australia v Holland. I think she thinks I am joking…

yeah it was an awesome game. Yaya Toure is just a beast of a player - in size and what he does on the pitch. Would have liked to see Drogba get more game time but Kalou, Gervinho etc are better suited to the Japanese. Drogbas strengths suit the next 2 matches better so he should feature more there.

Yeah I’ve got Thursday off! Going to bed early and will be up for all 3 games

The replays on SBS during the day have been great (at least on the weekend). We’ve watched more than half of the games. I really enjoyed watched the Ivory Coast game, too. Such a talented bunch of players. Great goals in that game.

Stoked for Costa Rica. Big time win for a team given little chance in their group. Messi played brilliantly in Argentina’s first game this morning. Great goal and he could have had more.

yeah I just saw the ARG game is on replay at 5pm tonight and tomorrow Germany Portugal replay at 5pm - perfect!

I’m really looking forward to seeing Belgium play on Wednesday - they are a team full of quality players, will be interesting to see how they go but I reckon they will go a long way in this competition. Then of course the Brazil Mexico game should be a cracker.

The headline on the sbs website on Sunday amused me for some reason..

Every four years it’s a little bit like this for me

I watched 3 different codes of football in 24hrs on the weekend.

Including a high school union game

WTF is happening to me!

Yeah I can understand why people don’t enjoy it - especially in 0-0 games, and that’s fine, each to their own. I like Rugby league but don’t really like Union or AFL at all.
I just get annoyed when people bag out other sports or compare them to others.
One of the reasons I love the world cup is it brings football to so many people that wouldn’t normally give a shit. I have people at work today discussing the games from the weekend with me and asking me questions, all these people on my facebook feed posting photos from Brazil, or getting up at crazy hours to watch, yet I can’t get these same people to come to Aleague games with me on the weekends or watch an EPL game.

ozgirl - 16 June 2014 01:55 PM

WTF is happening to me!

Sounds like my weekend raspberry watched the soccer, some AFL and went to the Australia VS. France match (rugby union) Saturday night.

This coming weekend I’ll be watching more soccer and also F1’s are in Austria this weekend, I’ll watch the Geelong game (AFL), France V Australia final test (union) is on Saturday night and then on Sunday afternoon I’m going to the Storm V Parramatta game. And can’t forget the Origin on Wednesday night!!

This is why winter is so awesome. All the sports and snowboarding. What more could you want!?

StamfordKid - 16 June 2014 02:21 PM

Yeah I can understand why people don’t enjoy it - especially in 0-0 games, and that’s fine, each to their own. I like Rugby league but don’t really like Union or AFL at all.
One of the reasons I love the world cup is it brings football to so many people that wouldn’t normally give a shit. I have people at work today discussing the games from the weekend with me and asking me questions, all these people on my facebook feed posting photos from Brazil, or getting up at crazy hours to watch, yet I can’t get these same people to come to Aleague games with me on the weekends or watch an EPL game.

I’ll start regularly watching EPL again when Leeds make it back into the premier league! (I might be waiting a few more years yet..)

air180 - 16 June 2014 03:05 PM
StamfordKid - 16 June 2014 02:21 PM

I’ll start regularly watching EPL again when Leeds make it back into the premier league! (I might be waiting a few more years yet..)

Fellow Leeds supporter here…I know how it feels. The day we eventually get promoted will be one of the greatest days ever. This season could be it…

I know what you mean regarding the world cup and bringing it to an audience that usually doesn’t care…I’m a pretty big soccer fan in general but when the world cup rolls around it just goes to the next level. It’s awesome seeing all your friends get involved who usually wouldn’t care.

I also can’t wait to see Belgium play…what a side! It’s insane how many quality players can come from such a small country. Would love to see them go far.

Argentina were poor today…not terrible, but maybe a little complacent? They had a chance to blow Bosnia away and ended up nearly settling on a draw. Messi’s goal was great though.

Ronaldo vs Germany in less than 12 hours…bring it on!

I was a Leeds fan too. I say was because I really haven’t followed them since they got relegated. They were great during the glory days!

air180 - 16 June 2014 03:03 PM
ozgirl - 16 June 2014 01:55 PM

WTF is happening to me!

Sounds like my weekend raspberry watched the soccer, some AFL and went to the Australia VS. France match (rugby union) Saturday night.

This is why winter is so awesome. All the sports and snowboarding. What more could you want!?

I came very close to being sucked into watching FRA v AUS game! thankfully I had plans with the girls!

Interestingly if you asked me which i would prefer I would say Union. Which is why i didn’t mind going to the high school game. Sadly it was boring LOL.

The men I was sitting with bitched and gossiped worst than women which was hilarious, so at least that was entertainment.

I could do with more snow - less sport thanks!

Am watching the ARG BOS game tonight on the replay as ive only seen the goals but from what I read Argentina weren’t anything special and Bosnia were unlucky not to come away with something. Although with Messi getting his goal it could be the monkey off his back to really perform well this WC. He goal celebration was big I think it was relief as much as jubilation.

Di Maria was a beast this season for club so if the big wigs for Argentina can fire then they can go all the way