The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Cup Discussion Thread

So the 2014 World Cup kicked off this morning - FINALLY!

I thought Brazil weren’t anything special - if they play like that against a more quality opposition then I can’t see them making the final. Croatia did well to sit back deep and keep a solid central midfield, then break down the flanks on the counter.

The Croatian keeper was pretty poor and all 3 goals were saveable. Maybe I’m being tough with the Penalty -Neymar hit it pretty hard, but a solid hand would have kept it out. Having said that though, it shouldn’t have been a penalty i thought Croatia were hard done by.
The referee was good up until the penalty decision, after that he kinda went a bit Brazil crazy. I guess that’s the benefits of being a super footballing nation on your home turf..

Another thing to take away is that Croatia really held there own against Brazil, and the scoreline didn’t reflect how close the game was - Australia had their warm up game against Croatia last Saturday and held there own against them - fingers crossed we can get a result tomorrow - and Vidal is still injured!
Carn Socceroos!

Hmmm I thought maybe they were nervous?

Lots of pressure - they aren’t just an average team hosting the World Cup.

You could be right. Oscar definitely looked nervous at the start.

But even after the nervous jitters passed and they got into the game they still weren’t convincing.
The defence is worrying - Dani Alvez and Marcelo look better attacking then they do defending. You never know what you are gonna get with Luiz either.
Hulk and Fred were non-existent all game to add to it.

They are still a quality side, and real contenders but I think they need to show more if they are to win.
I know its only one game in, but If I were a Brazil fan I would be nervous.
But I am a Socceroos fan, therefore I’m shitting myself!

Sporting Bet have an offer.

Bet for the socceroos and if they score you get your money back (if they then loose)

They have the hastag #keepthefaith.

Haha!

The odds of Australia not scoring a goal in the whole tourney though are only 3.5 to 1. That’s not a very good rate of people even getting their money back…

I watched the game. Brazil definitely have the potential to go far and it doesn’t surprise me that their first performance wasn’t anything amazing. The amount of pressure on the first game is immense, and they got the result they needed - a win. Let’s not forget that Spain LOST their first game of the 2010 World Cup and then went on to win the tournament. They have so much talent and flair, I think they are still one of the hot favourites for sure. We haven’t seen any other teams play either.

TJswish - 13 June 2014 10:21 AM

The odds of Australia not scoring a goal in the whole tourney though are only 3.5 to 1. That’s not a very good rate of people even getting their money back…

I think it is only for tomorrow’s game….

[wrong thread]

So excited!

Was definitely not a penalty so I’m glad that Oscar scored and made it so that Neymar pen wasn’t the winning goal!

I’m gunning for a Brazil v Argentina final, with messi scoring a hat-trick to win it for the Argies. grin

Here’s some coverage of the real World Cup LOL http://www.pinkbike.com/news/practice-leogang-dh-world-cup-4.html

Unlucky for the Aussies. We played really well in the second half and we had our chances. Cahill was inspirational.

Spain got THUMPED! I just watched the replay. The Dutch are playing incredibly well. Spain will be desperate against Australia and Chile. Should be interesting.

rider26 - 14 June 2014 05:02 PM

Spain got THUMPED! I just watched the replay.

They sure did!!! I’m watching it now

I’m stuck watching all the games through my laptop cos the tv doesn’t get sbs. I’ll be up early to watch England v Italy. Should be a good game.

Spain v Holland was hilarious!

Watching the England game tonight. Can’t see us winning at all, or getting out of the group stage.

Have a little faith!  I’m counting on England to beat the cheating Italians. I still haven’t forgiven them for taking a dive in the final against Australia 8 years ago…

wow what a weekend! I am knackered - work will be a struggle today.
I watched all the games bar Switzerland & Ecuador this morning and I will have to listen to the Argentina Bosnia game on radio =(

Spain v Netherlands was a cracker. RVP and Robben played to their potential and finish great as always. RVP’s header was majestic to watch.
Spain weren’t super bad, just not their day. Australia and Chile both have some tough matches ahead.

As for our match, the first 20 mins was pretty woeful, Chile just came out fired up and it took us a while to wake up. Franjic was pretty average, I think nerves got the better of him but he got caught out of position a lot and had some pretty poor touches. Although the ball in for the goal was superb.
But how good is Saint Timmy. He is just a freak in the air especially for a guy his size.
Leckie was brilliant, his ball control needs improvement but he really did well. Oar had an off game. Milligan was woeful and I cringed whenever he got the ball.
Lots of positives to take away from the game and word from the camp is the team is quite positive which is great. The only thing which annoyed me was a lack of urgency at the end of the game to score - but it was like 35 degrees and a tough match I think they were just exhausted!

Uruguay Costa Rica was another fantastic game to watch. So glad Uruguay lost the plot. A tough group there.
England Italy was great too, both teams are contenders I reckon. Italy just the bit more creative up front which was the difference but England are a whole new team with Sturridge and Sterling, lots of pace, flair and they love to attack. Sturridge is a class player and a great finish for his goal.

Too many good goals and highlights over the weekend, plus 35 goals in the opening 10 games - what a great start to the Cup!