The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

MTB Thread

Andy Aitken - 15 May 2014 09:29 AM

Great vid Cords! Man the bike park looks like fun!

You guys are good. How long have you been riding DH?

We did 11 days last nthn summer and that is the only DH we’ve done. So much fun! The bike park is sick fun. I have no idea how people ride downhill without chairlifts!

Been meaning to get back into DH, a mate and his wife bought a couple of expensive as f*ck bikes last year and made me keen to jump back in.

Been cruising Rotorburn for some 2nd hand specials but havent found one that tickles my fancy yet.

I don’t ride enough; my bike is a pos - only enough to do cruisy trails (pulled out of a neighbor’s council cleanup lol).
There are some good tracks nearby (Mt Annan Botanic Gardens, Appin and Bulli Pass isn’t far> shhhh).
There’s a hill out the back of my place begging for the trail fairies to attack wink

Here are a few photos I’ve taken.

I commute on my old MTB.  I did a couple of novice class XC races when I was younger - man is that hard work!  Smashed my shoulder clowning around on a BMX track.

Was up at Hotham yesterday and one of the guys there had a Specialized 29er that is apparently worth over $12K.

ooh that sounds like a nice bike. I’ve always wanted to give a 29er a go

Oooh I like this thread . Maybe an idea for a Bikeworld Franchise?
This is MY 2013 Build NS Soda. All parts where bought separately to Make a Bombproof Bike. Its a freeride bike so it can pretty much do anything I can throw at it . Oh and By the way. First day of the season at Whistler Bike Park today. WOW!

stuff that!

Nice shots Spaz.

deanobruce - 18 May 2014 09:32 AM

Been meaning to get back into DH, a mate and his wife bought a couple of expensive as f*ck bikes last year and made me keen to jump back in.

Been cruising Rotorburn for some 2nd hand specials but havent found one that tickles my fancy yet.

Buy this: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?279206-SWAPS-2014-Kona-Carbon-Supreme-Operator(Customdrool So cheap for the spec. If I didn’t already have my bike I’d be all over it.

That Soda is nice Jonny. It was on my list of possible bikes as well, but then I decided to start racing and went for a full DH bike. Whistler bike park is crazy, on my to do list for sure.

K2_TeacherBoy - 19 May 2014 01:55 PM

ooh that sounds like a nice bike. I’ve always wanted to give a 29er a go

They’re good for XC/trail riding, my Honzo is a 29’er, it holds speed noticeable better over 26”.

@jonno “Bomb Proof” hahaha
-heard that before-
LOL

Mmm that bike looks epic.

Going to sleep on that one tonight…

Morning all! LONG time no speak!

Logged in for the first time in forever this morning. Didn’t think I had access from work…

Sick thread!

I got myself my first MTB not too long back. It’s nothing special, but it’ll do me for my first bike.

Specialized Rockhopper 29er.

Like I said, it’s nothing special, but I didn’t want to go overboard on my first bike. I figured I’d ride it till I kill it, and if I’m still keen on the whole MTB thing, I’ll spend more on the next one. I’m kind of already looking for a dualy though.

My house is literally 500m from the entrance of Plenty Gorge. The trails there are mostly XC, but there are some nice flow trails and some work being done on some DH trails at the moment.

If anybody out my way is keen to check it out, hit me up.

Might have to hit you up Tills, they’re not exactly my local trails but I’ve wanted to check them out for a while now.

Quick question:

Do after market flat pedals generally fit any bike? Or do they have different threads etc?

I have a Giant Talon (2014) and I’m thinking about buying some better flat pedals, because the one’s they come with are short, thin, have teeth like a bear trap and shredded me 3 times today shut eye

Koper - 21 May 2014 08:52 AM

Might have to hit you up Tills, they’re not exactly my local trails but I’ve wanted to check them out for a while now.

Def worth checking out I think. I’ve probably only ridden 20 percent of the park. Mostly all on the south side. From the vids I’ve seen on YouTube, I’m yet to see the best of it.

Andy Aitken - 25 May 2014 03:36 PM

Quick question:

Do after market flat pedals generally fit any bike? Or do they have different threads etc?

I have a Giant Talon (2014) and I’m thinking about buying some better flat pedals, because the one’s they come with are short, thin, have teeth like a bear trap and shredded me 3 times today shut eye

If you get flats for a MTB, they’ll all be the same size. A 9/16” thread I think.

First thing I did when I got mine (apart from ripping all the reflectors and the bell off) was replace the dodgy wire cage pedals with a pair of Jet Black flats.