The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

MTB Thread

I know we have a few Mountain Bikers (and those who appreciate it) amongst us, so I thought I’d dedicate a thread to it. Post anything mtb related; from your own bikes and vids, to something awesome you seen online

Check this sick clip

ooh! Only just saw this.
When we get back from our sailing trip, we’re heading back up to Åre to do our 2nd season.
I’ve got myself a Scott Voltage to go with Freddy’s Giant Team DH and we’re pumped to give it another whirl. Yeah!

Reporting in!

I’ll start with my favorite MTB YouTube series:

My DH Bike - 2014 Kona Operator

My XC/AM hardtail - 2014 Kona Honzo

Me riding some local trails (excuse the race plates, the photos were for a Uni assignment lol)

Got like 3 feet of air that time…

Life Behind Bars is sweet. I havent watched any of the most recent season though!

Nice looking DH machine! Where are those trails? Mt Dandy?

I only got a 07 Norco Six, and havent ridden in ages! Really need a new trail bike and need to get riding again

Yeah they’re at Mt Dandy smile Bikes line the Norco Six got me into MTB. Should get back into it!

Reporting!

Good call making this thread.

I’ve ridden since I was a kid but this is the first new MTB I’ve ever owned. Bought her a few weeks ago. LOVING IT!!

I’ve been riding all the local fire trails and I finally got out to Ourimbah the other day and rode all the XC comp single trails and some DH trails.

K2_TeacherBoy - 14 May 2014 06:31 PM

Nice looking DH machine! Where are those trails? Mt Dandy?

I’ll second that drool

I rented a Kona Garbanzo in Whistler for a day. It was awesome but I think this is the next model up isn’t it?

Guess I can claim I’m part of this group, have only ridden actual MTB trails a couple of times though.

Bike:

What are the trails at Mt Dandy like? I’ve only ever ridden the ones at the You Yangs. Have been meaning to check out Lysterfield also.

I watched an epic mtb movie while i was in japan, ill try and figure out what it was called

on another note, has anyone shipped a bike, disassembled and in a bike case, over to canada? or anywhere else really
I want to ship mine over to me when i get to whistler next year

Yeh i definitely need to get back into it. Will see after winter how the $$ is going.

While I was still working at school full time my, I got to ride my old boss’s hardtail when I took kids out to You Yangs and Lysterfield. Was awesome for high speed xc around fast flowy single track. Took some of the rougher stuff pretty good too for a hard tail.
Giant XTC1 2010

Want to get a trail dualy for sure. Maybe 5incher travel

Here’s a pic of my new bike:

So excited to ride it when we get back from our sailing trip. Scott Voltage FR20 was the bike they had as rental bikes in Sälen last year and I rode one for one day and loved it. Its a bit smaller frame and suited me much more than our (now Fred’s) enormous bulky, Giant Team DH.

And here’s a vid Fred made from bits of our days at Sälen bike park here in Sweden last nthn summer.

The mountain we are riding this season, Åre…is much, much bigger. Sälen only had about 5 trails & one chairlift running but Åre has 5 chairlifts and about 20 different runs. So excited about it!

Nice, the Scott Voltage is a pretty solid bike they have them as hire bikes at Mt Baw Baw in summer as well. I need to get to Sweden… airplane

Tobi - 14 May 2014 09:39 PM

What are the trails at Mt Dandy like? I’ve only ever ridden the ones at the You Yangs. Have been meaning to check out Lysterfield also.

The trails I ride at Mt Dandy are mostly DH/freeride; jump,drops, etc. There are a few XC tracks around Sylvan though, but I’ve never ridden them. I ride at Lysterfield a lot, it’s a 10 minute drive from my house. Not as good as the You Yangs but still good for a quick spin after work/uni.

Great vid Cords! Man the bike park looks like fun!

You guys are good. How long have you been riding DH?

Koper - 15 May 2014 09:16 AM

The trails I ride at Mt Dandy are mostly DH/freeride; jump,drops, etc. There are a few XC tracks around Sylvan though, but I’ve never ridden them. I ride at Lysterfield a lot, it’s a 10 minute drive from my house. Not as good as the You Yangs but still good for a quick spin after work/uni.

Ah ok, I don’t think I’m anywhere near ready for jumps & drops.

I’ve done done track 16 & 17 (aka nice easy greens) at You Yangs like 3 times.

Am keen to do more riding though, just need to find the time…