The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Beginner CheckList

Heya guys and gals,

Just over a month left before my trip to Mount Hutt (NZ) and I just want to make sure I have everything. I thought to myself it would be a better idea to ask the experts, so here I am. The following picture is what I have so far and listed below is the things I have which are not in the shot.

Items not in shot…
2 pairs of snowboard socks
1 Thermal long sleeve
1 Thermal long pants
1 Burton Neck warmer

Note* I will be hiring a board and helmet over there, so they are not required.

Just wondering if I am missing anything or anything additional you would suggest I take? apart from the obvious clothes, underwear etc :p

looks like you have everything!

Maybe just a belt, don’t want to be pulling up your pants all day.
check this out https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/15934/

Belt is looped in my pants in the pic :p got one of those stretchy belts which are tight but give a little if required.

well bugger me I didn’t even see that, even after specifically looking for it confused

Have you got some lessons planned for when you go??
They are a must for a beginner, you learn so much and pick things up so much quicker.

I think you’re good to go!

It’s always a good idea to carry a goggle wipe with you, for snowy or rainy situations. Your jacket might have one in the inner pocket as standard. Otherwise, just carry your soft goggle case (cloth) in your pocket and use that.

The only other thing I would consider is a small snowboard tool to carry in your pocket. You would be surprised how many times it’s needed on the slopes. Especially with rental equipment. This also means you can change your stance if needed. Just a thought.

Do you have a spare lens for your goggles? I’m not saying you’ll need it, but your lens is designed for bright light conditions. A low light lens is always a smart addition to your kit for when the visibility isn’t ideal. But you can make do.

@bigjimmy
Yea got 4 lessons over the 5 days we are there, all 2 hour lessons so it should be good. We are also going with a few experienced riders who are more likely to help out then just run off :p

@rider26
Yea a few people have mentioned a snowboard tool, will consider that and I have a cloth for my goggles, will take a few microfibre cloths as well.

Spoke to the guy at Snowbiz and he said I should be looking at a 160cm board when I get there, I am roughly 6"5’ or about 2m tall, he also mentioned some kind of board which had a 80something degree edge instead of 90 for a beginner, can’t really remember too well.

Great, I’m sure you will have an amazing time over there.

Let us know how you go! shaka