The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Uniqlo comes to Sydney!!

So excited when I walked past this today.

Its just a “pop up store” whilst the actually store is built at 420 George. The building between Myer and The Strand.

They have some great looking very lightweight thermals for cheap. Tanks ($14.95), long sleeve (I think about $20) and long john’s (didn’t notice price)

If they are half as good as the ones I picked up from The Gap in Japan. I will be getting some!

Oooh nice. Uniqlo is so good for basics in Japan real quality stuff for very reasonable prices. Love the fact that they tailor your pants for you within the hour for free as well. Be interested to see how the prices/service matchup here.

Between Uniqlo and H&M I could set myself up for winter. Have never seen their summer range though.

ohhh good point re the pant hemming. Wonder if that option is offered in aus?

re pricing, I am happy with the Heat prices.

The Cashmere sweater at $99 is a bit pricey for me (yeah yeah I know its cashmere but still, you can get a cashmere sweater on sale at Country road for $79.)

drc13 - 06 May 2014 04:39 PM

Oooh nice. Uniqlo is so good for basics in Japan real quality stuff for very reasonable prices. Love the fact that they tailor your pants for you within the hour for free as well. Be interested to see how the prices/service matchup here.

Between Uniqlo and H&M I could set myself up for winter. Have never seen their summer range though.

H&M is the best! I got loads of summer clothes at H&M in Malaysia. So happy they’ve opened one in Melbourne. No doubt it’ll be heaps more expensive though :/

Checked out uniqlo briefly in Malaysia and couldn’t see what all the fuss was about.

air180 - 06 May 2014 06:10 PM

Checked out uniqlo briefly in Malaysia and couldn’t see what all the fuss was about.

big surprise

Wash your mouth out young lady!!

Have you been to the Melbourne store??

air180 - 06 May 2014 06:10 PM

H&M is the best! I got loads of summer clothes at H&M in Malaysia. So happy they’ve opened one in Melbourne. No doubt it’ll be heaps more expensive though :/

I’ve been past a few times on the weekends and the queues are insane.

Kim, I haven’t been to the Melbourne one yet, I’m supposed to be going shopping this weekend though so I might check it out. Malaysia might just have had different stuff.

Yeah Mud I was surprised the Sydney store had no queues. I believe the Melbourne Pop up store was pretty busy too!

Air I am not sure it will be worth the queues!

Never even heard of Uniqlo?! Obviously clothing store?

Its a Japanese clothing store Blizz.

here is an interesting article on “The Uniqlo Way” on their customer services.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-uniqlo-way-clothing-giant-coming-to-sydney-after-opening-melbourne-store-20140416-36qm9.html

blizzard_22 - 06 May 2014 09:52 PM

Never even heard of Uniqlo?! Obviously clothing store?

They are an absolutely massive clothing (and now electrical store) they’re everywhere in Japan and a pleasure to shop in (If you are ever in Ginza it’s worth visiting that store, actually most of them are an impressive site from outside.)

Their range isn’t exactly exciting but it’s just really good quality stuff and amazing prices (at least in Japan that I know of) I get a lot of my boring socks/undies/tshirts from there but they also have amazing deals on Japanese Raw Denim Jeans (which would cost $400+ out here for something similar I payed $70ish including having them taken up) I’ve also had times where my aussie “warm” clothes weren’t cutting it so I picked up a couple of pairs of $20 fleece lined windproof pants which were a million times warmer (didn’t even need long socks or thermals in the worst conditions) Last trip I grabbed a couple of polo shirts (which I wear to work) out of their bargain bins. Best polos ever still look brand new after multiple washes and don’t need to be ironed at all wish I’d bought 10 more.

Another bonus is their sizing doesn’t cater for our usual morbidly obese clientelle so stuff actually fits more flatteringly.

All of this may be different in the Aussie stores though but I’m definitely a fanboi of the Japanese version.

Oh the socks…

I asked mum to get me socks.

She claims I didn’t but she came home with socks for everyone (not from Uniqjo) so she must have got the idea from somewhere!

The range won’t ever be as big in Aus as it is in Japan. But I was impressed yesterday. Both with range (for a small “pop up” store) and price.

Seriously where else can you get thermals in Aus for $20 and under in Aus???

The also do really great Tee shirts. They get special series/designers in.

ozgirl - 07 May 2014 11:15 AM

Aldi??

Will have to check it out if I can find the Melbourne store next week

cords - 07 May 2014 07:09 PM
ozgirl - 07 May 2014 11:15 AM

Aldi??

Maybe.. waiting for the catalogue to upload to my app. Apparently it came out in the stores yesterday with the sale starting 17th May.

But I don’t think they are that much cheaper. And you can only buy them once a year, fight millions of other doing the same thing.

Uniqlo is closer to me than my nearest Aldi too!