The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for Setup Advice..

Hey guys,

Firstly, great forum have enjoyed reading through over the last few weeks and have learnt a lot.

I am looking to get some advice on purchasing my first board setup and heading down to Perisher this upcoming season (and possible trip to Queenstown). I recently returned to Australia from a semester of study abroad in Colorado, where I got the opportunity to spend two days at Winter Park, a day at Keystone, and another at Copper Mountain so only have 4 days of experience on the slopes. The guys that took me up the mountain said I picked it up fairly quickly and by my 4th day I nearly had switch down pat and was running on blue and black groomers, so am not sure what rider ability that would put me in to.

Dimensions wise, I am about 180cm, 79kg and shoe size US12 (rode a used 11.5 boot in CO though). While in Colorado I rode a couple of boards, the first being an old what I think would have been 154ish length board and on my last day I got to use a new Rossignol Trickstick 158w.

Once I got home, I made a bit of an impulse purchase, buying a new 5150 Dealer 158cm board (waist of 255 so not sure if it’s considered wide) for a good price, but when I made my first trip into the local shop to look at boots & bindings the bloke thinks this would be a bit of a boat, and suggested I keep it as an overseas only board and look at a 153-154 to use in Australia. I understand where he is coming from, with the conditions being much different here, but I guess what I’m asking is would I be able to get away with using this board for a season at Perisher, or would it be pointless? Or is this board totally useless for my boot size altogether? Ultimately I’m looking for a bit of an all-mountain package - I enjoy cruising the mountain all day and want to get into buttering etc., but am also interested in learning a bit more in the park (with my background in skating).

Any advice on my situation would be appreciated, also any suggestions on possible bindings and boots to look at.

Thanks in advance,

James.

Welcome to BW James! You’ll get some good advice here I’m sure but I’ll leave that to some of the experts in relation to your specific situation!!

Yeah, welcome James! I will also leave it to the guys who know a bit more to give you sound advice but thought I would comment given we have a similar frame (im 178cm and 78kg). My first board was a camber profile 154cm (burton tadashi fuse if you want to look it up), was a top beginner board. I then got a 156cm capita (hybrid profile, flat/rocker) and a 153cm stepchild (rocker profile), all good lengths for AUS riding for my size in my opinion but given I like park I wouldn’t want to go bigger than 156…. Been told I could even throw a 150 around if I wanted a light jib stick.. As it seems you are aware, a wide waist-ed board would probably suit your boot size to minimise toe or heel drag..

If you wanted an opinion on boots/bindings, my best pairs to date have been Nike Kaiju boots and Burton Cartel bindings but I’m sure others will throw some ideas around and give you a few to consider.

All the best with the search for your setup!  v

Welcome to Boardworld, James. shaka

Well done on your progression so far. It sounds like you are doing really well for only a few days on snow.

The truth is, I think that board should be OK for you in Australia. With size 12 boots, the 255mm waist width is pretty much what you want anyway, or close enough (depends on the actual boot brand/model/size). Either way, there shouldn’t be a problem here. Is 158 too big? It’s on the larger side for Australia, but it’s still within a normal board size range for your weight. You might as well give it a go and make the most of it. A bigger board is more stable, so use it to your advantage. If this board can’t be returned, just enjoy it. If you are interested in purchasing another board, we can certainly talk about that too.

With boots, it’s important to try on as many boots as possible. It also pays to speak to a knowledgeable boot fitter. It’s important not to settle for a particular brand and model. You need to find the boot that works best for your unique foot shape. As a general rule, you do get what you pay for with boots, so steer clear of the cheaper models.

Bindings: Without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend either the Flux DS or Now IPO, both coming in under $400. I was riding Now IPO bindings last season in Australia and they are the best binding I’ve ever used (review coming soon). They are super comfy, incredible board feel and great response. Have a look at Flux and Now:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/flux
https://www.boardworld.com.au/now

I can also offer you a special member discount and free delivery if you want anything from the Boardworld Store. Feel free to PM me here or email me directly if there’s anything I can help you with. jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au

I would reckon you could definitely get away with a 158 for the season.  I’m smaller and lighter than you and my first two boards (that I rode for over 10 years combined) were 160s.  Not sure on the waist width though, and I don’t know anything about that particular board.  That said, you’ll no doubt progress faster on a board that is sized right for you riding in Aus.  I’m currently rocking two boards around 152cm and one at 157.

rider26 - 06 May 2014 02:14 PM

Bindings: Without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend either the Flux DS or Now IPO, both coming in under $400. I was riding Now IPO bindings last season in Australia and they are the best binding I’ve ever used (review coming soon). They are super comfy, incredible board feel and great response. Have a look at Flux and Now:

Jez,

Not to highjack the thread, but can you give us a rundown on the different Now models?  Another question, too; can you fold down the highbacks on those while travelling etc?  Would love to see your review.

Hey fellow Jimmy

As you are still a novice rider but progressing well, that board will be awesome for you this season IMO.
Down the track you might want to look at expanding your quiver, but I’ve ridden a larger sized board in Aus since i started snowboarding (4 seasons ago) and they work a treat, I love flying past my friends while they are trying to skate over a crest or race me down the mountain.

Use it to its advantages, to nail your turns and confidence at high speeds and you will not look back, the rest of your riding will come with it.
Once you feel you need something different, ask the experts on here (Rider is your man!) about something else and keep this board for o/s trips or a backup!

happy shredding

Mudhoney - 06 May 2014 02:23 PM
rider26 - 06 May 2014 02:14 PM

Jez,

Not to highjack the thread, but can you give us a rundown on the different Now models?  Another question, too; can you fold down the highbacks on those while travelling etc?  Would love to see your review.

No worries at all.

The IPO is the base model. In my opinion, one of the best value bindings on the market. Versatile mid-range flex for park and freeriding, super comfy straps, and tool-free highback adjustment. The board feel with these things is incredible, and the energy and response while carving is unmatched—due to the unique hinge and bushings (IPO comes with soft and medium bushing options). And yes, the bindings fold down completely like any regular bindings. Photo below shows partially pushed down highback and also the tool-free adjustable highback clip.

The Select is the most versatile binding in the line, mainly because you can switch out the regular highback for a highcup, which allows for much more movement—ideal for that surfing feeling when riding deep powder. It also comes with three different bushing durometers—soft, medium, and hard—so you can get the exact feel you want (the IPO comes with two—soft and medium). Image below is the Select with the highcup.

The Drive is their stiffest model, which is used by Jeremy Jones and Devun Walsh. It’s based on the IPO but with more lateral support. The highback is taller and stiffer, and the the ankle strap is asymmetrical and can be flipped for a more freestyle or freeride feel. If you like a stiff binding with a lot of drive and response, this is the model to go for.

Thanks, Jez.  A couple more questions; is the Select regular highback the same as the IPO?  Also, how are these babies weight-wise?

Yes, they are the same highbacks.

They are quite lightweight to be honest. They don’t feel heavy at all. I just went to weigh them for you but I need to get a new battery for the kitchen scale. I’ll get back to you on that one, haha.

For anyone interested, more on their tech here: http://now-snowboarding.com/technology/

Btw James, just from my own experience .... I’m 185cm and 84kg and I’ve been riding a 160cm board for a few seasons from beginner up to high intermediate so I also think this board will be fine for you for at least a season or two.

Thanks everyone for the advice, was really good reading through it all!

Sounds like I’ll be good to stick with this board for the season which is good to hear, and next year I’ll look at grabbing something smaller to help me move into the park.

I’m gonna head into the local shops in the next few days (we have an ESS Boardstore and Alpine Beach in Erina) and look more into boots. I’ve purchased a bit of skate gear off ESS in the past and they seem to know what they’re talking about, so should be a good place to start with boots. Any boots or brands to avoid? If I’m gonna splurge on anything I’d prefer it be the boots, and then to hang onto them for a while.

Thanks for that offer Jeremy, I like the look of those Flux and Now’s, definitely something I’ll consider.

Trying to budget hard so I can try and squeeze in a trip to Queenstown with friends in August, so am glad I won’t need to grab another board quite yet, but for future reference and the chance to do a bit more research - what kind of boards specs should I be looking for in a smaller board? I’m guessing I’ll still need a wide, but what kind of length, camber profile etc? (I forgot to mention that the board I did get was a rocker profile).

Cheers!

In regards to a different board, it’s really important to get your boots first and let us know the exact size, brand and model. The reason being different brands and models have different size “footprints”—for example, Burton uses Shrinkage Footprint Reduction Tech which gives the boot a smaller footprint, meaning you can ride a narrower board. Let us know what you end up getting.

I’ve become a huge fan of snowboards with the CamRock profile, such as the YES Basic or YES Greats. If it’s freestyle performance and all-mountain versatility you seek, I find it very hard to beat this profile. One board to do it all. It really depends on your needs, which I think will become a lot clearer after you get some day on your new snowboard. So make sure you keep us posted!

In other news, check out this article I wrote which was published today on another site: http://www.snowsbest.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-a-snowboard/

My review on the Now IPO bindings is finally up: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/now-ipo-bindings-review

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mudhoney - 06 May 2014 03:23 PM

Thanks, Jez.  A couple more questions; is the Select regular highback the same as the IPO?  Also, how are these babies weight-wise?

As promised, I weighed the bindings. The binding was weighed without the base disc. The disc weighs exactly 100 grams.

Now IPO, medium, 2014 model. 824 grams.