The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yes 420

Welcome to Boardworld, Nigel! punch

Thanks for the review. I’m so keen to test a 420.

rider26 - 28 April 2014 10:08 AM

Welcome to Boardworld, Nigel! punch

You don’t have to threaten him!

Bloody internet bully!!!!!

WOW i hope i get snow like that to test mine in!!!!!!! How many months too japow now??

Just got back from my 2015 Japan trip riding the Yes 2015 420 152 very similar to the 148 2014, unfortunately did not get any super deep days this trip. Japan finally had a slow year however managed to explore some good backcountry due to the fine weather. Hope you enjoy this was the best I could put together from the conditions.

Japan is having a slow year?

I wouldn’t say slow,  but I didn’t get the two weeks of constant dumps when I was there.  The 2 weeks before I arrived did though so I was just timing. I’m heading over earlier next year to make sure I’m really in the thick of it.  But back to the topic at hand,  the 420 lovessssss the deep stuff even for the huskier gent such as myself!!

Nigel Neubauer - 02 March 2015 10:33 PM

Just got back from my 2015 Japan trip riding the Yes 2015 420 152 very similar to the 148 2014, unfortunately did not get any super deep days this trip. Japan finally had a slow year however managed to explore some good backcountry due to the fine weather. Hope you enjoy this was the best I could put together from the conditions.

Looks like you made the most of the “sub par” conditions over there. wink

Thanks for posting the video, Nigel. I would absolutely love to ride a 420 on a powder day. What size are you riding?

Hey Rider26 I am riding a 152 last year I rode the 148 there really wasn’t to much difference between the two. They are such great boards in the trees that the sped and control you have is bordering on dangerous and they float so well. There a so many boards coming out with the same concept too many choices all the manufacturers are really getting into powder quiver boards. I am thinking of getting a Yes 2020 for next year to partner with my Gentem 163 Bigfish.

The 20/20 is at the top of my wishlist. We have ordered the 20/20 in limited numbers for the Boardworld store. I might have to buy one for myself. It looks incredible in person. The powder hull is super impressive.

Apparently the 2020 is like a twin swallow tail without being a swallow tail however having float/twin mixed altogether. i might have to grab one off you if my local shop is not getting them in. By the way The Standard looks like a a solid charging board what do you think, are you getting them in as I want to go back to a more aggressive board than my Nug 154 for resort riding this year.

Yes, we have the Standard coming in. Actually, we are carrying the entire YES range this season. So stoked about that.

The 20/20 is a true twin. It doesn’t have a traditional swallow tail. The 3D Powder Hull is a concave hull in the tip and tail, which does two things whichever way you’re riding it:

1. At the nose, the concave draws air under the the board giving you lift and float.

2. At the tail, the concave releases snow causing the tail to drop.

Better explanation with diagrams below (PM me if you want higher resolution).

So is it flat or camber in the middle? The Powder Hull thing is only on the nose and tail right (based on the diagrams), but they never say if the board is flat or camber.

Hey guys - the 20/20 actually has two distinct base profiles to it;

= The outer profile (so the base profile down the boards edges) is predominantly flat, with a small amount of rocker at the contact points.

= The inner profile (so the base profile down the center of the board) is flat between the feet, and then quite rockered in the tip & tail (which is what is very evident in the concave of the POWDER HULL). 

I have a video link that I will get uploaded (I might need your help Jez!) that has a very clear explanation from THE MAN who designed the 20/20 (Alex Warbuton), but in the meantime, don’t hesitate to hit me up if there are any more questions on this board.  And quantities are very limited so if your keen make sure you confirm it with Jez asap.

PS - I cant stress enough that you need to BELIEVE THE HYPE on this one.  This tech is very relevant to the future of snowboard designs, and there are lots of companies that are trying to implement it in there W17 lines.  And believe me when I say that it works (I’ve ridden it, and having a TWIN with that much float in pow is a very very VERY cool thing)

Thanks Amine.