The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Performance Kids boards…. Any recommendations?

Hey guys,

I’m currently looking for 2 performance kids boards for my 11 and 9 year old. They are both high intermediate riders and I don’t want to get them rank beginner boards like most on the market seem to be.

They are only small frame kids for their height and are 32kg (70pounds) and 27kg (60pounds) respectively.

I kind of prefer them to keep learning and progressing on camber boards to get the basics of turning etc ingrained into them but maybe that just the oldschool thinking on my part cause I guess they are going to be riding mainly rocker hybrid types into the future anyway…. they love the park and hitting every sidehit in sight.

Performance kids boards in the 115cm to 125cm ish range seem to be a little hard to find…. does anyone have any recommendations?

So far I’m looking at the:

Yes Pick your line mini at 121cm
Lib Tech Lib Ripper (rocker tho)
Burton Custom Smalls (hybrid rocker)
Ride Lowride (rocker and I think its a biginner board)
Capita Micro scope (flat rocker)

I’ve searched through various other youth snowboards and some of the good performance ones don’t come in sizes small enough.

Any recommendations would be awesome, thanks guys!!

Let the little kids shred….!!!

If YES still make The Basic in smaller sizes, I reckon that’d be a definite contender!!!!!

Plus ya can hit Jez up for a deal too!!!!!

Arbor has a sweet looking kids’ board: Arbor Element Mini

rocker though…

Thanks for that guys, I havn’t checked out the Arbor yet, so I’ll have a look at that too.

@ Mizu: I don’t think Yes makes the Basic in small enough sizes for the boys but I’ll double check on that too.

Cheers!!

Ahhhh, I see that the Yes Basic was made in the smaller kids sizes in past years. Thanks Mizu, I didn’t know that and I’ll have a look around the net to see if any are still around.

Pretty sure Nitro do a kids model too, but as per the others it’s a rocker!!!!!

Bummer about the Basic!!!!! They really should do them in kids sizes!!!!! Hope ya find an old one floating around!!!!!

YES. makes a true twin Grom snowboard that comes in 129 and 135 (2015 model). I would have to check availability if you are interested. Soft and playful, but the flat profile keeps their “normal” contact points on the snow, encouraging them to turn with good technique. Also keeps them super stable as they learn to ride boxes and rails.

Nice!! Thanks guys! They look good but that will be the next size I’ll need to be buying in about a year. I came across a Yes Mini 121cm 2014 which should suit my oldest boy nicely.

I’ll keep looking for a 115cm option for my middle boy whos only 27kg but I’m thinking he might still be ok on the 110cm board I’ve already got.

Cheers again!

Nice one!!!!!

K2 does one. But can’t rember what it is again.

K2_TeacherBoy - 21 April 2014 06:22 PM

K2 does one. But can’t rember what it is again.

The “Schoolboy”?????

K2 does the Vandal but it doesn’t make them small enough…... sigh

The Burton Custom Smalls looks ok too…. so many options but trying to get the best for the budget….

I’m watching this with interest.  I’m a bit surprised there aren’t more kids boards around, because there sure are heaps of kids skis.

Hey guys,

We went through all of this a few years back with our boys, they were both advanced riders and were destroying what was available at the time. Not enough board for them if you get the drift.
We found the smallest of the women high end specced boards were the go.
There are a lot more available these days, but the specs still don’t tick al the boxes.

The same also applied to bindings, mens smalls were still too big, but the womens small were perfect.

Yeah thanks Azz. Had checked out the small women’s boards and that will definately be an option down the track but atm they are too small and light for even the smallest women’s boards. (27 and 32 kg). 

@ Mudhoney: yeah I thought the same and there are heaps of kids boards but mostly they are designed for the rank beginners and not for decent to advanced mini shredders.

I mean ffs .... Burton have a 130cm board with a ‘Toy Story’ theme??? What kid who is big enough to ride that size board will be vaguely interested in toy story??!!! Epic fail imo….