The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rocker v Camber (and mixes thereof)

I’m quite a fan of the traditional camber boards, and have only ridden on a rocker a few times. For me it feels lazy.

What are the thoughts in the camp about the two? And about hybrids (like the Gull Wing, or Flying V)? I know what all the print says about them, but what are people experiences and feelings?

the only time I noticed the c2 on the Trice was 1) on cat tracks and 2) in powder (it brought a pleasing bounce to the float)

Check out the review I did on the Signal Omni Wavelength:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1139/

I will be getting the Burton Custom Flying V… hopefully in a week or so, and I’ll let everyone know my thoughts on it… I will only have it on snowflex until late november when the snow comes around here.

I’m pretty keen on that board too

Cool news is that my Custom flying V should be in any day now…
I wont get a real good assessment until December when I get it on real snow.
Another even cooler thing is that my good friend just bought a Custom (non-V) traditional camber board! and both are 156, so He and I will be able to assess the same board with V-rocker and camber side by side! I’m stoked about that.

Yeah that will make for some interesting results.

So, I got to ride my Custom Flying V yesterday, and I’m quite excited about it.
I was on a snowflex surface, and I was surprised how well it turned.
See, on snowflex you can only skid turns, and you cant get much shape to them at all.  but with the new board I could… was it the board and its shape, or was it new sharp edges, I dont know.

the board did flex easily at first, like the first little part of the tip that comes off the snow, but it soon stiffens up, as it had camber under the binding, so it’s not a noodle,
Interesting.

I will write more as my thoughts develop…. and I have a lot of pics and thoughts on setting up a board with the new Channel…
I’ll share that in another thread some time soon.

That would be awesome Snowslider!! Very keen to hear your thoughts on it and see what set ups you come up with.

What bindings do you have btw?

Dan83 - 22 October 2010 08:07 PM

That would be awesome Snowslider!! Very keen to hear your thoughts on it and see what set ups you come up with.

What bindings do you have btw?

I have a pair of Burton Triads from 2 years ago. Non-EST style.

OK posted up the whole story about the new Channel and bolts etc. it here https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1336/

find it there and I will try to answer any related questions.

I rode the exact same board (2011 Custom Flying V 156) for a few days in August - in pow, chop and groomed. It’s an admirable little allround performer - reasonably stable at speed but still playful. It’s stiffer than lots of Burton’s other (park focussed) rockered boards so it’s not quite as buttery, which actually suits the “Flying V” configuration. You’re right, Brandy - standard rocker does feel “lazy” compared to camber (or this). My general impression is that if you ride the whole mountain, not just the park, you’re better off with “Flying V” than “V Rocker” - but I’d take Capita’s “Flat Kick” (rocker/flat/rocker) over both.

Chemical Storm first production model is a reverse camber baord call the OCTOROCKER which will be reviewed frist here on Boardworld in the upcoming months.

Here is a link to a review by Shay Johnson (http://www.shayboarder.com) on our first reverse camber board in 2010:

http://www.shayboarder.com/2010/05/snowboard-review-10-11-chemical-storm-rocker.html

I think hybrid shapes are the future for sure.  I’ve been hearing great things about the Never Summer RC technology. Also worth mentioning is the gullwing by Nitro and of course the wavelength by Signal!  Straight up rocker shapes are great for beginner/intermediate riders or for jibbing but are really limited for everything else.

I think with the introduction of the rocker and hybrid boards, the ultimate winner is the consumer/rider! They have more choices now. I am big fan of all the above board companies (Nitro, Never Summer and Signal) who are constantly offering new and exciting products to the consumer. We are hoping to do the same at Chemical Storm:) I look forward to your comments and thought on the industry Trav smile

Any chance of slinging BW some boards to test out there Jeff or Trav? wink

I’d be more than happy to ride and review some new gear on behalf of boardworld if it came to the crunch. Mind you, I’m sure plenty of others would as well! Perhaps linking up with rider with regards to the boardworld shred down under ‘11 that is currently in the planning stages over in the social section.