The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

P-Rod’s new company

The announcement finally came from Paul Rodriguez today after months of waiting: His new board company is called Primitive with himself as the sole pro and Carlos Ribeiro and Nick Tucker as ams.

“For more than 17 years, skateboarding has been my passion and my life. To create my own board brand and have a chance to be a part of skateboarding beyond just being a pro skater is a dream come true. So after nearly 10 months of silence, I’m excited and proud to announce the arrival of Primitive Skateboarding and introduce our amazingly talented team riders, Nick Tucker and Carlos Ribeiro. Thanks to all of you for the continued support and I hope you enjoy what’s to come!”

Discuss…

ummm…I thought they may have separated the name from Primitive. Two words Nick Tucker, hopefully he will be pro shortly.

dont care much for the name. Bit 80’s/90’s generic for me. Especially compared to Grizzly grip which i think is a rad name. All time fav board brand name would have to be Carnies Whalecock
Team thus far is pretty darn rad though!!!!

good for Prod

So no more Plan B ! Who is manufacturing the boards?

bkrtron - 11 April 2014 03:11 PM

So no more Plan B ! Who is manufacturing the boards?

He parted ways with Plan B roughly a year ago. I’m not sure what wood they’re going to use…they aren’t grouped under any distro so who knows.

I thought Primitive has been around for a while? Just new to decks?

rider26 - 11 April 2014 05:35 PM

I thought Primitive has been around for a while? Just new to decks?

Yeah, they’re a clothing company (up until now) and did a few shoe collaborations as well somewhere along the line. In fact I think they started out as a shoe store in Los Angeles. I know P-Rod has a lot to do with them but I don’t follow him too closely so I’m not sure of the specifics.

Good on him, but I am indifferent about it.

It is just another board company to add to the large sea of board companies out there, that hasn’t reinvented the board.

Things like what Ronnie Creager did with Etcetera make sense to me, introducing things that help skaters keep going with protecting your feet.

C J Parker - 15 April 2014 08:05 PM

It is just another board company to add to the large sea of board companies out there, that hasn’t reinvented the board.

Things like what Ronnie Creager did with Etcetera make sense to me, introducing things that help skaters keep going with protecting your feet.

So many pros have ditched their long-term sponsors lately to start their own thing. It’s pretty interesting what’s going down.

Brian Anderson left Girl to start 3D with Austyn Gillette, Alex Olson left Girl to start Bianca Chandon, AVE and Dill left Workshop to start Fucking Awesome, Raymond Molinar recently left Stereo to start WKND, etc. It’s almost like everyone wants to be a part of an underground company, sort of like Pontus Alv did with Polar. It’s pretty cool in my opinion.

walker - 16 April 2014 03:23 PM
C J Parker - 15 April 2014 08:05 PM

So many pros have ditched their long-term sponsors lately to start their own thing. It’s pretty interesting what’s going down.

Brian Anderson left Girl to start 3D with Austyn Gillette, Alex Olson left Girl to start Bianca Chandon, AVE and Dill left Workshop to start Fucking Awesome, Raymond Molinar recently left Stereo to start WKND, etc. It’s almost like everyone wants to be a part of an underground company, sort of like Pontus Alv did with Polar. It’s pretty cool in my opinion.

It’s a great thing and keeps the teams small. New products and new designs but Alex Olson has picked the best company name.

Bianca Chandon. The full name. Basically I came up with the whole concept of it because I couldn’t get the rights to any of the names I wanted originally. So then I was kind of digging around through inspirations I liked and try to figure it out. I think I had mentioned to Brian (Anderson) before 3D was thought up that it would be really cool to name a company after a boat. And so many boats are women’s names. So that sort of started the whole concept of choosing a woman’s name. Then from Studio 54 I think I got Bianca from Bianca Jagger. I just always really liked the name Bianca. It sounded kind of elegant and it was a big ‘70s name. A lot of the culture I was pulling from was from the ‘70s so it just made sense.

Well Dill and AVE have cool name which suites their personalities.