The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Grenade jackets

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Grenade jackets? Any feedback on quality/durability? I know it’s likely to vary depending on the model so comments on which model would be appreciated.

Always look at the waterproof rating, breathability rating, and laminate material or coating. Most brands make both good and bad jackets, depending on how much your spend. The more you spend, the better the materials, and the more waterproof and breathable—usually.

The type of jacket you use will also depend on your location, temperature and conditions you’re riding in. For example, you can get a shell, insulated, or down jacket—all of which will excel in certain conditions.

Worth reading this article: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/guides/outerwear-tech/

Feel free to ask more specific questions and I will be happy to help you.

rider26 - 09 April 2014 09:59 AM

Always look at the waterproof rating, breathability rating, and laminate material or coating. Most brands make both good and bad jackets, depending on how much your spend. The more you spend, the better the materials, and the more waterproof and breathable—usually.

The type of jacket you use will also depend on your location, temperature and conditions you’re riding in. For example, you can get a shell, insulated, or down jacket—all of which will excel in certain conditions.

Worth reading this article: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/guides/outerwear-tech/

Thanks rider. I had previously read that but it was worth reviewing.

The two I’m looking at are the astro and the g.a.s stash.

The astro is 15k/10k and the g.a.s is 10k/10k. Most of my riding will be perisher with my trip to nz thrown in. I’m also hoping to go to Canada next year.

my background is more motorbike gear - I know for some things I advise people to just get two items to suit their different conditions/intentions. 
Considering Aus,  NZ and Canada - is that likely the best approach? Appreciate your help.

i love it when motorbike riders wear their gear at the snow, especially their helmets!!!!

geniass - 09 April 2014 01:02 PM
rider26 - 09 April 2014 09:59 AM

Thanks rider. I had previously read that but it was worth reviewing.

The two I’m looking at are the astro and the g.a.s stash.

The astro is 15k/10k and the g.a.s is 10k/10k. Most of my riding will be perisher with my trip to nz thrown in. I’m also hoping to go to Canada next year.

my background is more motorbike gear - I know for some things I advise people to just get two items to suit their different conditions/intentions. 
Considering Aus,  NZ and Canada - is that likely the best approach? Appreciate your help.

Go the 15k/10k I would prefer to warm and toastie than cold with a ice cream headache. The rating will be rainproof and waterproof except under high pressure. Moderate rain, average snow, light pressure. It’s really all you need but two jackets is always the better option so you can get one dry for the next day.

The 15/10K rating doesn’t really make a jacket warm!!!!!

Warmth will come from what type of insulation, and how much is used!!!!!

The rating of 15/10K however, will be good for keepin ya dry in the wetter conditions that ya can experience in Canada, but more likely in NZ and Australia!!!!!

I agree with what was mentioned above, the more $$$$ you pay the more likely ya are to get better materials and features!!!!!

Look for things such as taped seams/joins for durability!!!!!!

Out of those two, definitely get the Astro as the 15K will hold up better in wet conditions. That said, and I’m just being honest, I’d go for something more waterproof and with no insulation. Nothing beats a good quality shell, especially if you’re looking for a versatile jacket, for different seasons and different countries.

Sure a bit of insulation is nice on a cold day, but what about when you’re hiking, or during spring? Useless.

15K won’t hold up on a really wet day, IMO. It will soak through eventually.

Aim for 20K or Gore-tex and look at a shell. This way you’re getting the best protection from the elements, with the most versatile setup possible. If it’s cold, you layer with a thin fleece. If it’s very cold, maybe a thicker fleece. This is the best way to do it.

It all comes down to how much performance you want out of your jacket and the types of conditions you will be subjecting yourself to. If you’re going to be using it a lot and in various conditions, then I think it’s worth the investment. If not, then the added cost probably isn’t justified.

Interesting…

I have never used any thing above 15k/10k and never had an issue in deep powder snowing or deep powder with the sun out even with hiking. In spring I usually ride with a hoodie on or just a tshirt under my jacket.

My sessions jacket currently runs
[Shell] 2 layer Herringbone (50% polyester, 50% CDP); [Lining] sherpa & heavy fleece.

Before that my 10k/10k jacket which I rode all season and never had one issue with it which was a Special Blend. I had a DC jacket which was the 15k/10k was way to warm for Australian conditions.

Must be a NSW thing that you need the warmer gear raspberry wussies

bkrtron - 10 April 2014 01:09 PM

Interesting…

I have never used any thing above 15k/10k and never had an issue in deep powder snowing or deep powder with the sun out even with hiking. In spring I usually ride with a hoodie on or just a tshirt under my jacket.

My sessions jacket currently runs
[Shell] 2 layer Herringbone (50% polyester, 50% CDP); [Lining] sherpa & heavy fleece.

Before that my 10k/10k jacket which I rode all season and never had one issue with it which was a Special Blend. I had a DC jacket which was the 15k/10k was way to warm for Australian conditions.

Must be a NSW thing that you need the warmer gear raspberry wussies

To clarify, the waterproof and breathability ratings have nothing to do with how warm or cold you feel or what temperatures it can withstand (layering and insulation is what determines this). It only determines how much moisture it can withstand from the outside, and how much it can breathe from the inside (handle your perspiration).

15K handles a lot of conditions; snow, powder, some rain etc. However, in extreme and prolonged situations (for example like you sometimes get in Whistler), it can certainly soak through. For the most part, it’s a good standard and adequate in most situations. I ride 15K in Australia and haven’t had any problems, although I ride Gore-tex in Whistler as we are exposed to more extremes (the original poster mentioned riding in Canada).

Generally, when you have good powder conditions, the temperature is usually cold and thus, you don’t get very wet. The only way you get wet is from your perspiration, which is where the breathability comes into it. Fact: some people perspire more than others. Fact: wearing hoodies and cotton t-shirts affect the breathability of your “system”. You really shouldn’t wear cotton as it absorbs moisture rather than letting it breathe (think a towel). Would you be more comfortable without cotton? I would bet yes.

You really can’t beat a highly rated shell (Gore-tex being one of the best) with proper laying underneath. What is proper layering? A moisture-wicking breathable first layer, then a breathable fleece layer of different weights (if needed) depending on the temperature. This way you are protected from the outside elements, you are in a perfect temperature zone as you have layered according to the outside temperature for comfort, and you stay dry on the inside as your system can breathe effectively removing trapped perspiration.

I must admit I have a Gore-Tex Nike jacket I got from the UK and it’s amazing for the rain. Nothing can withstand a big night out when the beer is being poured all over you!