The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rome Tour 13/14 - wide or not?

Hello everyone wink
This is my first post on the boardworld forum. I’m a beginner in snowboarding and I was riding only in a rental equipment. I bought my first boots (Burton ION 13/14 11.5 (EU 45)) and currently I have an opportunity to buy the Rome Tour snowboard in a really reasonable price. There are 2 options: 159 or 161 wide. Which one should I take?
I’m 188 cm tall (6.2ft) and my weight is ~79-80 kg. As I mentioned, my foot size is 11.5.
I realise that Burton’s boots have the Shrinkage Footprint Reduction technology but still, I can’t decide which snowboard size should I take and what would be better for the beginner? I want also to buy bindings and I chose Burton Cartel (size L). I ride all mountain style.
Could you help me in this choice? I’d be very appreciative. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Boardworld, bigbadmoon. cool smile

You definitely don’t need to be on the 161W. It’s much wider than you need!

However I don’t see an option for the 159 on Rome’s website. Spec chart below.

Also, where will you be riding mainly?

Thanks for a such quick reply smile
I checked this size on the Rome official website: http://www.romesnowboards.com/boards/tour/

I also found specification for the 159 board:

However, on the evo site there is no information about 159 board…
I will be riding on normal ski slopes.

I have another 2 questions wink
1. Is a length of the snowboard adequate to my height?
2. Is a good choice to purchase the Burton Cartel bindings size L?

Weight is more of a factor when lookin at board length!!!!!

But hoof size plays a role in the board that’s eventually chosen!!!!! (As you are already aware of by ya post)

Another factor that’s taken into consideration in regards to the waist width of the board, is whether or not you have a wide stance with large/larger binding angles, as this will allow you to ride a narrower waist width also!!!!!

And welcome a board, bigbad!!!!! shaka

bigbadmoon - 03 April 2014 09:19 AM

Thanks for a such quick reply smile
I checked this size on the Rome official website: http://www.romesnowboards.com/boards/tour/

I also found specification for the 159 board:

However, on the evo site there is no information about 159 board…
I will be riding on normal ski slopes.

I have another 2 questions wink
1. Is a length of the snowboard adequate to my height?
2. Is a good choice to purchase the Burton Cartel bindings size L?

Yeah, weird. It looks like they have the 159 but they left it off the spec sheet (which is what I was looking at). Either way, the 156 has a 252mm waist and I would assume the 159 would have a couple of extra mm on that. Even so, with size 11.5 Burton boots with Shrinkage Tech gives you the footprint of a 10.5, which will have no problems on that board.

As Mizu already mentioned, weight is a much more important factor when determining board size. The board doesn’t know how tall you are, just how much force you’re putting on it (determined by your mass).

To answer your questions:

1. I think you will be absolutely fine on the 159.
2. Yes, they are excellent bindings and the size large will fit your boots perfectly.

I really appreciate your replies, thanks for your great advices smile

No worries! Let us know how you go on your new setup! shaka

I’d love to hear more about how your weight determines which size you should go for. I alway thought it was just up to your chin height and you could reduce the length if you are a beginner or increase it if your going into powder.

It’s physics really. Height is a very rough guide some store guys use to determine board size, usually because they have no idea what they’re doing. Unless you are super tall or super short for your height, I don’t believe your height should be a consideration at all.

One of the determining factors in how your snowboard rides and feels is how it flexes. When you are standing on your snowboard, does it have any idea how tall you are? Of course not. The only thing your snowboard knows is the downward force you exert on it. What determines this force? Your mass (weight).

Think about it. You can have someone who is 5’10 and weighs 70kg, and you can have someone who is 5’10 but weighs 120kg. Should they be riding the same snowboard (assuming they want it to perform the same)? No way. The heavier guy will be exerting a lot more force through the board, so really he should be on a bigger board to support this weight better.

In a nutshell, weight is by far the most important consideration in regards to board size. Height really means nothing unless you are ridiculously tall or short for your weight.

Does that make sense?

What exactly happens if a heavier guy uses a board that’s under his weight class or vice versa? Will there be problems in gaining speed, turning or both?

The same would apply to anyone riding a board on the short side for their weight:

<li>Easier and faster to turn, more manoeuvrable</li>
<li>More playful, easier to flex and press</li>
<li>Lower swing weight, can spin faster, easier to get technical on rails</li>
<li>Less stable, especially during carving, at speeds, and on landings</li>
<li>Reduced carving performance</li>
<li>Reduced float in powder</li>

Basically, you sacrifice stability and float for manoeuvrability and playfulness. It’s the exact opposite if you’re riding a board on the long size for your weight. It’s important to think about how you want your snowboard to perform in various conditions, then finding a balance of size that meets your requirements.

Hi again wink

Unfortunately, the Rome board was sold and I would like to choose something else (which is available). I’m thinking about a board which will allow me to develop and make a quick progress. My options:

1. K2 Raygun 159 or 161 (13/14)
2. Arbor Westmark 159 (13/14)
3. Burton Clash 160 (13/14)

What do you think about it? Thanks in advance! smile

Go the Westmark!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 09 April 2014 09:58 AM

Go the Westmark!!!!!

Agreed. That would be my pick for sure. It’s the perfect waist width for your boots too.

One more question: what do you think about a Never Sumer SL 158 board? Especially, in comparison to Arbor Westmark or Rome Tour? I’ll be very grateful for any feedback smile

I’d still go the Westmark if it was my decision!!!!!

While I’m not a major fan of Predominantly Rockered Boards, I really don’t like the Camber/Rocker/Camber Profile of boards such as the NS SL!!!!!