The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trouble with board size?

Hey Pattyyy,

Going off the Burton sizing guides, here’s what they think:

You should get a 148cm mid-wide board. Or a wider standard width board if you want to go bigger than that.

148cm is just an approximate, you can go a few cms up or down from there depending on the riding that you do.
Longer means more stability
Shorter means more agility

But if you do go longer or shorter just make sure the board still fits your boot length. That’s always the most important thing.

68kg on a 148 in Japan? He will sink! He wants versatility, not a jib board.

I weigh 65kg and I was sinking on a 154 in Japan (regular camber). In Whistler, I find a 154 or 155 is perfect in powder conditions — and as you know, the snow is heavier there. I pretty much ride a 154 all season there. Even in Australia I feel weird on anything smaller than a 150.

Anyway, take Burton’s suggested sizing with a grain of salt. There are so many factors that need to be considered, i.e., riding locations, riding style, board shape, camber profile etc. I would not put him on anything smaller than a 154. There’s just no need being on anything shorter than that (considering he wants to ride overseas).

Not have a go at you, Andy. Just giving my honest opinion. How’s things in Whistler?

rider26 - 16 March 2014 08:26 AM

68kg on a 148 in Japan? He will sink! He wants versatility, not a jib board.

I rode a 148 Nug in Japan and i weigh 90kgs and only sunk a couple of times.
Different type of board though

Completely different type of board. There are exceptions of course; generally speaking boards designed to ride powder — utilising shape/volume, setback, taper, and rocker — to enhance float.

He said he wants versatility, ability to ride various conditions from park to powder, in different locations including New Zealand and Japan.

He could ride a YES 420 148cm in Japan no problems, but it won’t really work too well for his freestyle progression. I feel versatility is the key here. I’m talking probably a hybrid camber or even a full rocker, with twin or twin-like shape; something he can shred the groomers, park, powder — all while having fun on the board and supporting his progression.

rider26 - 16 March 2014 11:07 AM

Completely different type of board. There are exceptions of course; generally speaking boards designed to ride powder — utilising shape/volume, setback, taper, and rocker — to enhance float.

He said he wants versatility, ability to ride various conditions from park to powder, in different locations including New Zealand and Japan.

He could ride a YES 420 148cm in Japan no problems, but it won’t really work too well for his freestyle progression. I feel versatility is the key here. I’m talking probably a hybrid camber or even a full rocker, with twin or twin-like shape; something he can shred the groomers, park, powder — all while having fun on the board and supporting his progression.

Yeah your right jez-wizzle and thats why your the boss round here smile
The Nug does/can do all those things too was more my point, that i didnt get out there, i got distracted by a crying child and pressed submit before explaining myself

Haha, I know, all good. Just had to put out the info there for anyone reading.

Now go tend to that rad little baby! shaka

Oh, I didn’t realise he was riding in Japan. Yeah in that case you will want something much longer. Also a full rocker might make it nice and easy to float in the glory that is… Japowpow.

I’m not close to his body type at all that’s why I used the Burton board finder. But someone who is closer to his body type is a way better guide.

Whistler is good. We are finally getting some snow after a really dry season. The Showcase Showdown was today and I got to catch the end of it after work. Loved the sand boarding pic btw LOL