The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trouble with board size?

Hey all!
The time has finally come for me to get my own board, now don’t get me wrong I have been boarding for a while now and haven’t just used rentals so don’t get me wrong I have a couple years experience! I’m also a massive Capita fan so I was thinking something along the lines of a Ultrafear fk or Indoor survival fk. (basically going for an all terrain sort of park board?).

I have followed the diagrams but would still like proper recommendations on what would work for me.
Height: 173cm~
Weight: 68kg~
Shoe Size:10 or maybe a 10.5

Thank you for the help!

Welcome to Boardworld, Pattyyy. cool smile

Where are you riding (locations)? Will you mainly just be riding park? What’s your style of riding and what characteristics are most important to you — speed, stability, playfulness, manoeuvrability?

Do you have boots yet? I know you said you’re size 10 or 10.5 shoes, but it would be good to know your boot size. I would recommend you get fitted for boots first, as you are close to borderline for medium and large bindings, and it’s better to fit bindings (and board) according to your boots. Otherwise you’re just going to be guessing.

Currently riding in locations such as hotham and fallscreek. But planning on heading to NZ for the snow and even japan.

My style of riding isn’t mainly for park. Although I might incorporate it later on with jibbing etc right now it’s all about the mountain. I like to be able to go down the mountain on some of the harder runs but pulling down tricks along the way on the sides and playing around with the board. So i’m guessing something with a mid rang flex in which I can pul butters and what not and still be able to have control and going down the mountain.

I don’t think that explains it properly but hopefully gives you a better idea since I can’t determine which factor is more important to me.

All I can say is that I love my runs more then I love the park so to speak, but I still want to be able to ride terrain park as well as do my tricks while I do my run.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask me to expand on something and I’ll give it another crack!

Edit: FREESTYLE is the main word I was looking for!

Also I don’t have my boots or bindings yet. starting from scratch! not sure on how to go about them. was planning on going to the Melb Snowboards shop and find something that fit well and has the right characteristics

Cool, so you’re looking for versatility. Something that can handle handle it all and support your progression in different areas.

I think it’s important to buy your boots first. Go to your local snowboard store and get fitted properly. Don’t compromise with your boots; they are the most important part of your setup to get right.

In regards to board sizing, depending on the camber profile, I would put you on something around the 155 mark, give or take a couple of cm. I feel something between 154-156 will give you the versatility you’re looking for, and should handle all conditions from Australia to Japan. Anything shorter might struggle a bit in the deep and light powder in Japan (but again, the camber profile will make a difference so it’s something that should be considered too).

I would also suggest you have a read of this article on camber profiles: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119/

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for the help so far, I also had another questions about bindings. I was considering going for rear-entry bindings instead of the standard strap on bindings. I know how they work and all and the ease of entry would be AMAZING, however I’m not sure how they perform?

Rear Entry Bindings = Don’t!!!!!

Every one on here is so anti step ins? (rear entry)

I have 2 pairs, both with the fast track system..  And absolutely love them.. I ride park and all mountain.. And love flat land tricks (butters/presses, ollies, 180s etc) and I have no trouble..  I love being able to bind in faster than every one else, and unbind just as fast, I never have to sit down to bind in.. (I know you don’t always have to with traditional bindings either)  but in AUS, when its slushie, this is aweaome

(I have the Roxy rock it dash and rock it blast bindings, with fast track rear entry technology)  they have the traditional binding straps for the top, and adjustable toe caps, they have adjustable toward lean too!..

*yes I have seen rear entries that are crappy.. And don’t work right, this is why I did tones of research and got the best system available for them… I will probably never use a traditional binding again..  (just my personal preference..  But untill you have actually tried the system I use…  You can’t really say they are all shit and to avoid them..) 

I have had one pair for 2 seasons and the other for 1 season.. I have one of each binding on my 2 boards..  ( so I have one pink and one white, because I wanted miss matched)

Board size: I always say when in doubt, go a bit shorter. 156cm would be the absolute max length. I’m going to recco something more like 150-152cm.

The extra length really only comes into play when you are going super fast or trying to land BIG jumps. Shorter boards are easier to ride and more fun.

Step in Bindings:
Once you’ve been snowboarding a bit you can strap every bit as fast as step ins, but without the compromises that come with step ins, which are many,
because they are sh1t.

@Hoz: I’ve tried step-in bindings twice. Worse bindings I’ve ever tried. One time with my friend’s flows, I found it way harder to strap in than normal bindings. 2nd with Gnu bindings on a demo day. They just suck in my opinion. That being said I never tried Flow’s higher end model so they may be much better, I don’t know.

Step ins are:

1)not faster than normal bindings
            2) shit
            3)shit
          & 4)shit

Had multiple mates all have them at some point (different brands) and all binned them pretty quickly and get normal ones. Don’t be fooled by the hype (well there is no hype, they are pretty much aimed at beginners for “Ease of use” etc.

After a few goes you can clip in standing up and quickly on standard bindings. And try get your boot into the rear of a paid of flows etc. on a powder day…that is always funny to watch.

Again, I dont have flows.. Never tried them.. I have fastec roxys..  and I really like them, (I learnt with regular bindings…) also I had no problems binding in when we had 40cms in one night at perisher..  but I haven’t tried other ones..  I just know my ones work.. And I love them..  (I originally looked into them for my wrist (as its really bad..  And was killing me to tighten up ratchets..). But now my wrist has been getting better I won’t go back.. 

just my personal opinion.. If my ones fitted you guys, id give you a go.. But I doubt they would.. (I’m a size 5/6 in mens)

(I was talking to - I think it was Andy?- about them a while ago..  And the fastec is different from the others.. My bfs bro has the cinch technology and he doesn’t like them.. And I tried his and they were harder to do up.. Didn’t ride with them though as my boot was swimming in them..)

I didn’t see anyone say you did?!

deanobruce - 14 March 2014 02:52 PM

Step ins are:

1)not faster than normal bindings
            2) shit
            3)shit
          & 4)shit

LOL LOL

I know you agree with me!

thumbsup Nothing beats traditional straps