The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Beginner Questions

Tiger Balm!!!!!
Voltaren!!!!!
Paracetamol!!!!
Beer Money!!!!!

jklei110 - 11 March 2014 09:05 AM

My usual shoe size varies on brands but generally speaking its 11-12 US. I will definitely be getting them fitted at a shop, not something I am going to take lightly and will no doubt end up spending an hour or so trying boots and making my decision (the clerk is gonna hate me lol). I come from a background in Skateboarding, Inline Skating and Ice Skating. So I definitely put time and effort into finding the right boot for me, although I do not think it will be easy to pickup snowboarding, I am generally good on my feet and can find balance on any kind of edge smile

Just wanna see if my current checklist is any good, is there anything else I will need??

- Helmet (Supplied)
- Beanie
- Goggles
- Neck Warmer
- Thermals (Top and Bottom)
- Snowboard Jacket
- Snowboard Pants
- Gloves
- Socks (Several Pairs)
- Snowboard Boots
- Snowboard Bindings (Supplied)
- Snowboard (Supplied)
- Assorted clothes (shirts, jumpers and boots)

You would be a size large binding with most brands. It is a good idea to buy boots first, then purchase bindings that fit accordingly. But generally speaking, any large binding will accommodate. As an example, size large Burton bindings accommodate size 10 boots and above.

If you really want to cover all bases, I think it’s a good idea to always have a snowboard tool with you. Something like the Burton Zip Tool is very compact, affordable, and does the job. I always keep one in my pocket.

Looks like you have everything else covered. cool grin

Take a Lip Balm too!!!!! (Blistex)

Sun screen too!!

I have a little travel size one that I just refill with my regular one, (the snow is one of the easiest places to get burnt.  And I found this out the hard way! Lol!!  on a sunny day, it reflects off the snow and your higher up aswell..  I was insanely red! Haha

also, sunglasses.. I always have a cheap pair in my bag.. So when I’m at lunch, I wear them..  (instead of trying to eat with goggles on! Lol)

also, (I know this sounds weird, - and you can buy them once over there..) but zip lock sandwich bags.. They have so many uses!.. On wet/slushy days I put my phone in one, so when I’m using it, it doesn’t get wet,  also if I take lunch with me.. I put snow in one or 2 of them and use them like an ice pack in either my locker or bag,  they are good for keeping bits and pieces together (spare binding parts, lip balm, coins, etc) also good for snacks (mixed lollies, nuts, rice crackers etc) to put in your pocket for something to eat while inline for a chair lift, or when stopped for a few minutes,  smile

wow, you guys are so prepared at the snow, all i carry is my wallet and phone, and just banged into a pocket. One good thing about Australia’s plastic money i guess, and my phone is broken enough that i dont really care about it.
I will put sunscreen on at the start of the day though.

Hip flask wink

Welcome to the community mate!

K2_TeacherBoy - 11 March 2014 01:07 PM

Hip flask wink

haha my only problem with a hip flask…  I’m the deso driver… Every single trip.. 

haha devo for me!!  (still have one or 2 with lunch though!)

That’s why I stay on mountain!!!!!

Nothin better than a few beverages after a days ridin!!!!!

Haha don’t get me wrong Mizu, I have 2-3 glasses of wine /or a few cc’s or ciders, while cooking/eating dinner! raspberry

Just don’t want to risk being over the limit with a hip flask on the mountain haha

I agree h0z!!!!!

If I have to drive anywhere, I won’t even have one drink!!!!!

If I get the taste, I’m not goin anywhere!!!!! LOL

I will not have to drive the entire time, so money for drinks is definitely noted, although we got some youngsters in the mix so might have to pop away for a few quiet ones when they are busy :p

Really looking forward to it, still a few months off but I feel like this is going to be the first steps into something I am going to want to return to whenever I can. Wish I lived a little closer but these things happen.

Heya guys, a few people mentioned I should get a shorter board (even though I am tall) for my first time on the snow. With the following dimensions can you suggest a size and style, I am new so not sure what style I will need to learn on…

Height: 195cm (about 6"6’)
Weight: 75-80kg (cant remember off the top of my head)
ShoeSize: 10.5-11.5 US

I’m gonna call somewhere around a 156 for you, cause it’s more important to base the board size on your weight (and foot/boot) more so than your height!!!!!

I’d also go somethin with a CamRock profile!!!!! Some will say go to go a full rocker, but i honestly reckon while you’ll obviously slide down the hill easier on a rocker, you will learn to stern and hold an edge properly with a board that has some form of camber in its profile!!!!!

^^ I agree with this. 156-158, mid-wide (depends on boot model and size but you’ll probably need a mid-wide).