The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Beginner Questions

Heya everyone,

Ive wanted to visit the snow now for pretty much my entire life and I have finally got the chance, I have never actually seen snow in my life so its pretty exciting stuff and I am off to Mt Hutt (NZ) in June/July. I just got a few questions and I do apologize if they seem a little stupid, although I have a decent understanding I want to be 100% before I jet off to my destination.

Firstly what do you wear on your feet when you are not snowboarding?? As stupid as this sounds I don’t think runners are gonna cut it… for obvious reasons.

Is there any brands to stay clear of?? I know in most professions there are brands that may have a nice look with a price tag but people generally stay clear of them due to underpreformance or shotty build quality.

Are snowboard bindings universal for boots?? or do I need to match boots to bindings??

Currently the group I am going with has organised pretty much everything including the hire of a helmet, snowboard boots and a board. Since I am looking to get into it at least once a year, is it worth getting my own boots at least for this trip? just to give me a more comfortable feel for the duration of my trip?

Thanks for the help

Hey jkle, welcome to Boardworld!!!!!

Quick answers (cause I’ve gotta get ready to go to the city), are;

Runners will be okay (I’m guessing ya stayin in Methven) cause ya only need them when ya walkin around town!!!!! Snowboard boots are comfy enough for walkin around the slopes/on the bus etc!!!!!

If ya really want some footwear, then aim for a good waterproof breathable hiking boot!!!!!

Yes, it’s very worthwhile gettin your own boots!!!!! And take ya time when trying on as many boots as possible!!!!! Get a soft/ mid flex/feel, and make sure they are a snug fit, as they will pack out with use!!!!! And don’t go for colour/style etc, fit is number 1!!!!!

Oh, and any binding can be adjusted to fit any boot!!!!! (As long as they’re the right size for the boot eg S/M/L - US Boot Sizings)

Hey, welcome to BW!

these aren’t silly questions.. Intact they are something most people should be asking before going to the snow for the first time.  (you can never be too prepared)

ok, so I live in my ugg boots around town and at the accommodation, so comfy and really warm, I also take my runners/skate shoes (DCs) and wear them a bit..
on the snow itself in always in my snowboard boots.. 

you can buy snow boots (like a cross between ugg boots and snowboard boots to walk around in..( I’ve come close to getting a pair of these a few times.. But they never have my size in the ones I like)

one of the first things we suggest our friends buy it their own boots (and gloves and goggles). As boots mold to your foot.. So they make it so much more comfortable when they are your own. As apposed to a rental.  although rentals are kept in pretty decent condition.. I always get funny when thinking about everyone elses sweaty feet in them, (maybe that’s just me?)

as mizu said, try on as many as you can before buying any.  If you really want looks, try on every boot in your size. Pick the most comfortable ones (say top 3 -4?) then pick the best design out if those ones.  The worst thing is having uncomfortable boots.. You are in them 8-10 (some times longer) hours a day..

bindings are universal to an extent.  (they come in small medium and large) so long as they have your size they will fit your boot.

mine are a womens medium, (and fit womens size 7-9 - I’m an 8).  however my other half has ridden my board with my bindings on it, his a mens 8, (which is a womens 10) and with the bindings adjusted as large as they go.  His boot fitted perfectly.. 

* if you buy your own boots take them to the shop when hiring your board/bindings, and they can put them in the bindings to check anyways.

I have a whole range of different brands never had a problem. Just stick with the more known brands and they are usually popular for a reason.  (most assistants at snowboard shops will know what’s good and what’s not anyways)

hope your have an awesome time,

and more questions your think of, just ask away!

Yea I am a pretty tall dude (6"6’) so I gotta get some big boots and a big board. I went and spoke to my local store rep and I started at the top with my gear, I picked up some “Anon Comrade Goggles” and really liked the feel and larger field of view, especially since I have a bigger head and they feel like a nice fit.

The only things I WONT be getting this first time is a board, bindings and a helmet, those are supplied and make up a large chunk of the spending money anyways, so I will see how I feel with a few different boards (as we can switch and swap) and pick something up after my trip.

You both answered the questions I had and if I can think of anything else I will pop it down on here, I appreciate the fast response and depth of help smile I figure if I ask the experts I am gonna have one hell of an awesome time. Instead of going in blind.

Thanks again

Hey JK,

Are they supplying you with jacket, pants, gloves etc?  If so, one extra I always find useful is a neck warmer.  They cost bugger all and are so useful.  Also in terms of socks, get some decent snowboard socks.  Boardworld sells awesome ones or you can pick some up at your local.  Don’t use explorers or other generic thick socks.

Hope you have a great time.

Mud

Yep, most definitely get some Boardworld Socks!!!!!

Best socks I’ve ever owned!!!!!

Oh, and take a pair with you when you try on boots!!!!!

Agreed on this.. I have a mix between BW socks and thirty two socks,  (actually looking at another pair of BW ones before this season)

and also, goggles are in the same category as boots, try on as many, and find comfy ones that fit well (which is what it sounds like you have done smile )

also as mud said, a neck warmer is an awesome addition for very little cost, you can get basic fleece ones for about $10-15.  Or you can get a face mask, usually like a triangle shaped bandana that’s either magnetic or velco at the back, this will cover your face (below your goggles) and neck,  when its windy and/or snowing, last thing you want is an icy wind stinging your face, and after you get off the snow, its like sunburn… And can be super painful (its only this bad on blizzarding days - strong winds and either wind blown snow, or snowing)

Hey jklei110, welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions

- Normal shoes will be fine for NZ. The only time I’ve needed snow boots for walking around town was in Japan where it snows A LOT. NZ and AUS don’t snow that much.

- There’s no real brand I can think of that should be avoided, it’s more like types of equipment that should be avoided. Such as anything that is sold as a “Quick entry binding” should be avoided. Avoiding gimmicks will mean you won’t get caught out.

- Normal 2 strap bindings fit with any normal boot. 2 strap bindings are what you want.

- YEP! Getting your own boots is the best thing you can buy yourself. HOWEVER it could make your trip HELL if you don’t brake them in first. Wear them around the house at night for WEEKS before you hit the slopes. Then they will be totally ready and not ruin your day. I’m about your height myself and wear size 13s and I can recommend (if they fit your feet well) Burton Boots are really good for people with big feet because they are low profile on the outside, which means you won’t have to ride a ridiculously wide board to suit your boots. You’ll probably still want a wide or mid-wide though.

- Bonus Info - As an instructor, the thing I see my students forget the most is something to protect their face from wind and cold (NZ can be seriously windy).
Get a bandana or a neck warmer that you can pull over your face on the chair lift and you won’t be hating life on the high wind days. HAVE FUN!!!

Good fitting boots can be the difference between you having a good time or not. Don’t leave the hire shop until you are happy with the fit. If they are hurting after the first day or two, don’t put up with them - go back and swap them. Also, do your boots up tight - it will make things easier.

Because you are a tall dude, the rental kid will probably give you an equally long board. Longer boarders are great for stomping 70 ft jumps or big carves at 60 kph +, but suck big time for learning. They have little to do with height and are more weight dependent. I’d go for the shortest board your hoofs will fit on - tell the dude this. If you do get good quick and do want a longer board then they will switch it for free.

One last thing, don’t call it quits if you don’t get it right away. Be prepared to spend the first two days on your as s / knees / head. Snowboarding is hard, but it’s awesome when you get the hang of it.

Can’t thank you all enough, already learnt so much in the 10 minutes of reading all the replies. I will get some comfy boots and wear them in before my trip, I will ask for a shorter board which will support my weight (about 80 kilos). I had a good chat with the dude down at Snowbiz who helped me pick those goggles. Like you said I did try about 10 pairs on and picked those ones for the feel and amount of vision I get with such a wide lens, I think I might go and see him again for the rest of my gear as he was very helpful and didn’t push me onto the $300 pair straight away, he explained the difference and then told me what you get for the price, I ended up going around the $170 mark (Only difference really was additional lens with the expensive models).

I was planning on getting a neck warmer anyways which would cover the lower half of my face, so it was definitely on my list of things to get smile

I don’t mind falling on my butt at all, these things take time and I am definitely not some one hit wonder, I am also not the type to give up. I am more worried about enjoying it too much that I wont want to leave, it just seems like my type of thing. Once again thank you all and I will keep you all updated on how things go in the coming weeks. BW is definitely the place to be / go for info, I actually didn’t expect such a helpful community, definitely a welcome change.

Glad to hear.

And on the other hand, some of my mates that are good at board sports have picked it up in about 30mins and are trying jumps in the arvo. Good luck dude.

Haha snowboarding is definitely addictive.. 

I took for ever to learn, because as aj said, I was put on a massive board, (I’m 5’5, and was put on a 154 - my bf is 6’ and he rides a 153..) I swapped the board for a 145 and started to pick it up right away…  And still ride 145..

p.s Andy!! Dont knock the step-ins!!  michelle

LOL

jklei110 - 10 March 2014 08:47 AM

Heya everyone,

Ive wanted to visit the snow now for pretty much my entire life and I have finally got the chance, I have never actually seen snow in my life so its pretty exciting stuff and I am off to Mt Hutt (NZ) in June/July. I just got a few questions and I do apologize if they seem a little stupid, although I have a decent understanding I want to be 100% before I jet off to my destination.

Firstly what do you wear on your feet when you are not snowboarding?? As stupid as this sounds I don’t think runners are gonna cut it… for obvious reasons.

Is there any brands to stay clear of?? I know in most professions there are brands that may have a nice look with a price tag but people generally stay clear of them due to underpreformance or shotty build quality.

Are snowboard bindings universal for boots?? or do I need to match boots to bindings??

Currently the group I am going with has organised pretty much everything including the hire of a helmet, snowboard boots and a board. Since I am looking to get into it at least once a year, is it worth getting my own boots at least for this trip? just to give me a more comfortable feel for the duration of my trip?

Thanks for the help

Welcome to Boardworld, jklei110. shaka

I’m a bit late getting to this and no doubt everyone has already given you great advice, but I’ll give you my opinion anyway.

I wear DC waterproof boots which I have used extensively in Whistler (always wet there) and they keep me bone dry. There’s a lot of good boots out there, but generally speaking I would look for a boot that comes up a bit higher on your ankle to keep the water/snow out, has good grip, and also a waterproof or water resistant outer. I don’t feel you necessarily need to spend the extra money on Gore-tex boots, but anything with Gore-tex is guaranteed to keep you dry. Also, if you aren’t going to be trekking through snow/slush, normal skate shoes might serve you fine around town etc.

The boots I have are similar to the ones below:

“Normal” snowboard bindings are universal. Just go for regular bindings with straps. You do however need to make sure they are the right size for your boots. Bindings usually come in small, medium, large, XL etc. and each size fits a range of boot sizes. What size size shoes do you usually wear?

If you were to buy one piece of equipment, definitely get boots, but make sure you get fitted properly at a snowboard store. You need to try on a range of different boots and be fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. Here’s a little guide on boot fitting: https://www.boardworld.com.au/snowboarding/guides/boot-fitting/

Please let us know if you have any questions.

My usual shoe size varies on brands but generally speaking its 11-12 US. I will definitely be getting them fitted at a shop, not something I am going to take lightly and will no doubt end up spending an hour or so trying boots and making my decision (the clerk is gonna hate me lol). I come from a background in Skateboarding, Inline Skating and Ice Skating. So I definitely put time and effort into finding the right boot for me, although I do not think it will be easy to pickup snowboarding, I am generally good on my feet and can find balance on any kind of edge smile

Just wanna see if my current checklist is any good, is there anything else I will need??

- Helmet (Supplied)
- Beanie
- Goggles
- Neck Warmer
- Thermals (Top and Bottom)
- Snowboard Jacket
- Snowboard Pants
- Gloves
- Socks (Several Pairs)
- Snowboard Boots
- Snowboard Bindings (Supplied)
- Snowboard (Supplied)
- Assorted clothes (shirts, jumpers and boots)

jklei110 - 11 March 2014 09:05 AM

I come from a background in Skateboarding, Inline Skating and Ice Skating.

Just wanna see if my current checklist is any good, is there anything else I will need??

Nope you’ve got a Ice prancing buddy in the boss man, he will look after you now, its a strength in numbers kinda thing!