The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Anybody have good things to say about Dakine’s High Roller?

I’m nowhere near a resort so I need to lug my equipment around and I need a bag that is long lasting and is capable of protecting my board when I travel by air. My first choice was a Burton board case but those can’t be bought or shipped internationally.  I’ve heard good things about the Dakine high roller and a few cons as well like how the zippers can break easily or how it doesn’t have a separate compartment for the boards and it slumps in the middle if you don’t pack it right.

Should I pick this up? Do you have a bag that you’d recommend?

Dakine makes good bags but I’d recommend you look at 3CS too. They will ship to Singapore.

http://3csouterwear.com/products/board-bags/

I’ve got high roller, had it for 3-4 years now I think. Can’t say I’ve had any issues with mine as everything still works exactly as it should, as for the bag slumping in the middle that’s something that will happen to any board bag if your board is significantly shorter than the bag.

The only downside to the high roller is just how much it weighs, if you’re not careful packing you’ll be overweight for most airlines 23kg limit. That being said, you can fit a lot of gear in the bag. I generally travel with 2 setups and they fit into the bag with ease.

Copy/Paste exactly what finney said > here!!!!!

This ^ Maybe check out the Low Roller* I think that’s what it’s called, a little smaller, and weighs a bit less.

My girl came back to Oz a few weeks ago and her Dakine bag copped a hole in which would have been from the rough guys in luggage throwing it about. I have a Rome Cache which has been around Europe a few times not an issue. So if your looking another option I would suggest this.

I have a Dakine low roller and have no complaints with it’s quality. It will slump in the middlle if you only have a few things in there the fuller it is the more it holds its shape. I have no troubles fitting in enough stuff to hit the weight baggage limits so not sure how necessary a high roller would be.

Having said that I did get pretty envious one Japan trip when a whole bunch of locals got off the train with board bags with back pack style shoulder straps so you could either tow the bag behind you with no hands (wheels touching ground straps over shoulders) or hitch it up and wear it like a backpack.

They certainly got up and down the stairs easier than I did with my dakine.

Never found out what brand they were but sure I spotted something similar in one of the many snow shops in Kanda.

Don’t fall into the trap of buying the longest bag (181cm or something) just because it’s the same price. The longer the bag the more hassle it is. 166 is just right and will fit in the back seat of a car if you ever need it too.

rider26 - 07 March 2014 03:12 AM

Dakine makes good bags but I’d recommend you look at 3CS too. They will ship to Singapore.

I just checked out the site and saw that the international shipping was $20 which is pretty cheap.

Too bad that theyre out of Sultans

finney - 07 March 2014 04:26 AM

The only downside to the high roller is just how much it weighs, if you’re not careful packing you’ll be overweight for most airlines 23kg limit.

That’s one of the consistent complaints I’ve found about the bag. It’s kind of a bummer if you have all that capacity but cant fully pack it since it’ll be overweight.

Koper - 07 March 2014 09:30 AM

This ^ Maybe check out the Low Roller* I think that’s what it’s called, a little smaller, and weighs a bit less.

I dont know if that’ll be enough for a 5 day trip with 2 separate setups.

bkrtron - 07 March 2014 09:53 AM

My girl came back to Oz a few weeks ago and her Dakine bag copped a hole in which would have been from the rough guys in luggage throwing it about. I have a Rome Cache which has been around Europe a few times not an issue. So if your looking another option I would suggest this.
[/IMG]

I’ve heard that the Dakine bags can tear easily. Did she have the high roller or the low variant?

The Cache looks boss but the site I surveyed doesnt allow international orders or have the bags with wheels attached.

Resident Singaporean - 07 March 2014 08:52 PM

If you can’t you’re seriously overpacking!

I’ve done multi-week trips with just my low roller and back pack for carry on and I don’t pack that light.

All you need is wheels, zip and a handle. Anything else just adds unnecessary weight.

drc13 - 07 March 2014 09:10 PM

I’ve done multi-week trips with just my low roller and back pack for carry on and I don’t pack that light.

does it have appropriate padding?

That’s the other concern I had with this variant.

One could argue that because it’s so compact, your clothes would be tightly spaced in between the board and the case which protects it by absorbing the shocks of being thrown around the baggage area after check-in.

Also, can it really fit 2 boards and bindings with a single boot?

if you take the bindings off one of the boards then you should be able to fit two boards two sets of bindings, a pair of boots, helmet, goggles and all your snow clothes beanies etc pretty easily. I’ve got Finney’s old low roller and it is still going great guns.

Resident Singaporean - 07 March 2014 11:21 PM
drc13 - 07 March 2014 09:10 PM

does it have appropriate padding?

That’s the other concern I had with this variant.

One could argue that because it’s so compact, your clothes would be tightly spaced in between the board and the case which protects it by absorbing the shocks of being thrown around the baggage area after check-in.

Also, can it really fit 2 boards and bindings with a single boot?

Yeah it has plenty of padding, any more is just adding bulk/weight. Think about what your snowboard goes through when you are riding on the mountain they aren’t exactly fragile.

2 boards stacked on each other (bindings removed from bottom board, boots (socks stuffed inside them if you are low on space) outerwear and helmet all fit easily in the main section. You then have two big outside pockets to use which I usually stuff some clothes in the rest goes in my carry on backpack. The fuller the better as it makes it more rigid/less floppy.

Don’t overthink it, it’s just a bag. If you go for the bigger high roller sure you might have more physical room to fit stuff in but you won’t fill it without blowing most baggage weight limits (keep in mind you’re straight away adding a couple of kg extra weight just in the empty bag ~10% of most included limits) and I wouldn’t really want to have to travel around with something that big the low roller is painful enough transferring in some terminals/stations.

rider26 - 07 March 2014 03:12 AM

I just checked out the site and saw that the international shipping was $20 which is pretty cheap.

Too bad that theyre out of Sultans

finney - 07 March 2014 04:26 AM

The only downside to the high roller is just how much it weighs, if you’re not careful packing you’ll be overweight for most airlines 23kg limit.

That’s one of the consistent complaints I’ve found about the bag. It’s kind of a bummer if you have all that capacity but cant fully pack it since it’ll be overweight.

Koper - 07 March 2014 09:30 AM

bkrtron - 07 March 2014 09:53 AM

[/IMG]

I’ve heard that the Dakine bags can tear easily. Did she have the high roller or the low variant?

The Cache looks boss but the site I surveyed doesnt allow international orders or have the bags with wheels attached.

I think it was the low variant actually I will have to check it out with her but the tear is a good 20cm long.