The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Gloves

I’ve been using Spyder for the past couple of years and it’s been good. It finally tore through the palm during a trip to Korea this past January. I was using those air guns they have by the ticket office to clean my board and gloves which caused the tear because it was too high of a pressure. I dont blame you if you dont understand what I’m talking about when I mention the air gun, that was the first time I’ve ever seen it at a resort.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a new pair of gloves but it seems like mittens are way more popular. From the resort to the pros in the vids, every one of them wears mittens instead of gloves. Any reason why this is?

Also, am I right in saying that any pair that has goretex is a good pair?

Haha I know those air guns. I used one when I was in Japan.

If a glove is “Gore-tex” it just means the glove insert is Gore-tex, which is one of the most breathable and waterproof membranes on the market. So this is a good start for sure. But the overall quality and warmth of the gloves comes from the construction, insulation and quality of materials being used. Generally, a Gore-tex glove from a reputable brand is a good glove.

Mitts vs gloves is a personal preference. Mitts are arguably warmer, while you have more dexterity with gloves. I prefer gloves for that very reason.

rider26 - 05 March 2014 03:31 AM

Mitts vs gloves is a personal preference. Mitts are arguably warmer, while you have more dexterity with gloves. I prefer gloves for that very reason.

and giving people the finger while wearing mittens really doesnt get your point across, so if your into that kind of ‘greeting’ then gloves are for you.
Me, Im a mitten man!!

Yeh i am a recently converted mitten man.

But dayyyuummm those bread gloves could bring me back!

I think there might be a slight design problem with those bread gloves…

deanobruce - 05 March 2014 10:43 AM

Yeh i am a recently converted mitten man.

But dayyyuummm those bread gloves could bring me back!

Good man Deano! I’m a mitten believer myself! They are warm and toastie.

Ad-mitt-edly i have only used mine for a few days in spring slush so cant comment on the warmth of the smitten mitten’s yet but they certainly kept me dry!

I’m a mitten girl!!!

Gore-Tex with Leather Palms!!!!!

And Sesame Seeds!!!!!

ozgirl - 06 March 2014 08:09 PM

I’m a mitten girl!!!

Good Gal! I’m a believer.

I run leather unless its pipe gloves. Ive had my grenade misfits pipe gloves for several seasons now and the only thing wrong with them is the soft wiper material has flaked. Non issue. Theyre great for keeping the hands warm with the camera gear out too. I had a set of POW leather gloves that tore early season. They lasted a long time. Leather just lasts longer with grabbing rails and moving branches haha. Ive had a couple pairs of gore tex gloves tear over time. Just prefer a WELL TREATED (sno seal) leather glove. So when my pows bit the bullet, I did some research. I hate full length gloves, too many cords and annpying to get under a jacket cuff. I prefer the short wrist and a tapered zip so it locks down. I ended up with the Hestra Seth Morrison pro model in the mitten shape. Far and away the best glove ive ever had the pleasure of putting on my hands. Absolutely perfect, for me. No. Im not worried its a ‘ski brand’. Some snow brands could learn a lot from these gloves. Theyre steep, at USD$185 they definitely hit the pocket, but WELL worth it, especially when youre using them every day.

DaKine Cobra!!!!!

Gortex + Leather Palm = Warm & Dry!!!!!

Second that. Too bad I lost my cobra last sunday. Ended up getting quiksilver t.rice trigger mitts. It’s only Hipora 10k insert, so hopefully it’ll keep my hand dry.

I’ve done some googling and found that there is a lot of love for Hestra Helis.

http://hestragloves.com/en-us/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-glove/560/

I didnt see that brand mentioned here until three posts above me. Is hestra not available in OZ?

Yeah, there’s shops that sell Hestra over here, but as its percieved as more of a “Skier Brand” it won’t get too much love of the Snowboard Community!!!!!

Plus as mentioned, the price is a major factor cause you can get 2 pairs of Gortex DaKine’s for the price of 1 pair of Hestra’s, for example!!!!!